Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Hello there! Sorry for such a long post but my family is moving to the area in just a few months with my 6 year old (he turned 6 on October 19th) and 2.5 year old. I have been homeschooling for multiple reasons but mainly because our district isn't so great and my little boy is definitely more hands on and inquisitive than most kids. He's got standard energy for a boy but not overly active or anything. Homeschooling him has been great because I have been able to work with him on some of the things he isn't so great with academically (writing, storytelling, and fine motor skills like coloring and cutting). We think he's pretty smart as he's reading chapter books, understands complicated math concepts pretty quickly and without repeat review and loves difficult science concepts. However, socially he's definitely not at his academic level. I'm going to school full time and when we move we are putting him in school so I want to make sure we put him in the right place.

I have to report to the district according to his age, where he is registered as first grade. I'm a little confused on the age limit in Wake and was wondering if any of you have any ideas on what grade he would be going to: either mid year this year or in the upcoming '16-17 school year.

Also, we're looking at Weatherstone Elementary since they are STEM based. Any of you have experience with this school and think it might be a good fit for my kiddo?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
if he didn't turn 6 until October, they'll want him in K methinks. Our cutoff is by the start of school. Further, since you say he ahs a ways to go socially, K would probably be better for him. As to his education level, you will find we have a culture of high-learn preschools, so I don't think he'll stick out as being too far above K level.

Weatherstone elementary used to be the top school in Cary. Then newer schools, and a migration westward in the county for new construction, had it fall out of favor for some.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,160 times
Thank you BoBromhal! When you say that weatherstone has fallen out of favor do you mean it's not that great of a school? It doesn't have to be perfect but i definitely want him in a place where he'll thrive and teachers are patient with him since he's not used to being in large groups of children. He's social, and fun, and LOVES to be around kids it's just that he gets really excited when we are in groups and doesn't want to stop talking....that's definitely my fault in not having him in enough groups homeschooling... but that's a whole other story since I also work from home part time to full time.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:17 AM

498 posts, read 854,791 times
According to age, he would be in kindergarten this year and first grade for the 2016-2017 school year.

Your description of your son sounds my oldest! One warning for you. The teachers will want him to write every single little thing down in math, even if he can correctly do much higher math in his head. Since my son has Aspergers and dysgraphia, he absolutely did not want do that. He didn't understand why he should have to, didn't care what the teacher thought, and was in mental and physical pain when he wrote. So, he often got problems counted wrong, even though they were totally correct since he didn't show something like 15+12 five different ways. I get doing that once or twice, but over and over and over? Blech.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
I know a couple of people at Weatherstone and they are happy there. They are pretty active with the STEM program. I think your son would be fine there.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
I would definitely recommend Kindergarten if he has never been in a "school full of kids" setting before. It's what the law requires, anyway, as mentioned.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,686 times
I also know a family at Weatherstone and they too are happy there. In fact, their son started kindergarten there and they moved to a house zoned for DDES. They chose to keep him at Weatherstone because they were so pleased with the school.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:57 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,344,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
According to age, he would be in kindergarten this year and first grade for the 2016-2017 school year.

Your description of your son sounds my oldest! One warning for you. The teachers will want him to write every single little thing down in math, even if he can correctly do much higher math in his head. Since my son has Aspergers and dysgraphia, he absolutely did not want do that. He didn't understand why he should have to, didn't care what the teacher thought, and was in mental and physical pain when he wrote. So, he often got problems counted wrong, even though they were totally correct since he didn't show something like 15+12 five different ways. I get doing that once or twice, but over and over and over? Blech.
It is not the teachers, it's common core.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,033,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It is not the teachers, it's common core.
Preach

Old 10-27-2015, 06:08 PM

48 posts, read 128,902 times
I have a child at Weatherstone and have been very happy there. It is a STEM school with a very strong PTA. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary