Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times

Advertisements

it's not common core either, it's the WCPSS math curriculum.
I have friend who teaches 1st grade at Weatherstone and she loves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,503 times
My son was born October 13, 2008 and he is in 1st grade in wcpss. He is already on the older side because the cutoff is mid-August. I would likely start him in 1st now because he is too academically far ahead to be on the older side of kindergaten. He will figure out the social scene pretty quick. Another option would be to finish homeschooling him this school year and start in second grade but enroll him in a lot of social activities. There is a ton of stuff through https://reclink.raleighnc.gov/Activi...sAdvSearch.asp

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Thank you.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Which is based on common core. It is ridiculous and annoying to have to mark kids wrong when they can get the answer right using the "regular" or any simpler method. And don't think the teachers like it because they don't.

Some of the common core methods are very helpful for illustrating how a math concept works but it shouldn't be the only way they can solve a problem. So frustrating to so many.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
common core is a set of standards, the math curriculum WCPSS uses is how they actually teach math to reach those standards. They used much of this ssme curriculum before common core was wven in place, my first kid was doing this same "new math" 10 years ago in WCPSS.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:02 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Which is based on common core. It is ridiculous and annoying to have to mark kids wrong when they can get the answer right using the "regular" or any simpler method. And don't think the teachers like it because they don't.

Some of the common core methods are very helpful for illustrating how a math concept works but it shouldn't be the only way they can solve a problem. So frustrating to so many.
Exactly. I don't have a problem with common core as a concept where everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. I do have a problem with the hair brained methods it brought into the curriculum. Does anybody think most teachers would teach that garbage if it wasn't mandated ? The worst part is no textbook coming home to explain their mathematical methods. Just another often oddly worded work sheet and a very confused kid. You wouldn't understand if you haven't had experience with it,how frustrating it can be. I like a good word problem but I don't feel the need to answer an equation using 3 different methods then proceed to write a paper about how I did each way in order to explain my processes. This getting the answer right but not getting credit because you didn't incorporate a stick and circle picture and an estimation chart + (fill in the blank) newfangled method is wrong. If I can do it one way and show the work how the hell can it be wrong?

Sorry sore subject for many parents. I'm college educated and I have trouble helping my 8 yr old with homework. My ego is bruised. I always thought I'd be an asset in helping my child but I'm not. Can't imagine parents with less education or literacy being able to maneuver through that BS. Just overheard and joined a discussion with some other frustrated parents last night at gymnastics. Let's just say it's fresh on my mind this morning,once again.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
The cut-off date is turning 5 by August 31 to start kindergarten. As your child was 5 this past August, he'd be in kindergarten this year, and first grade in 2016-2017. He'd be one of the older kids in his class, due to his birthdate.

I don't have any experience with the school you mentioned. I do have experience with a bright kindergarten child in a Wake County Public school. The school did a great job for differentiating for reading/writing, and she was fine in that area. Math is much more one-size-fits-all though. We eventually had her grade skip for just that subject, which is a formal process with testing offered each spring.

I don't have any problem with Common Core math. The one time I didn't understand what they were asking my then first grader to do, I asked the teacher, who very quickly explained the concept to me. It wasn't difficult, just different from what I learned 35+ years go.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 AM

143 posts, read 201,830 times
You are absolutely right on the WCPSS math curriculum.

Or should I say *lack of math curriculum*. There are not math textbooks to go by, teachers apparently make everything themselves from what I can tell. How well that works out for the students has varied drastically from year to year.

Kiddo failed math 7+ last year. Over the summer she used Khan Academy - which is also common core - to self tutor her way from an F last year to a high A this year.

The problem isn't the common core standards, it's the implementation.

A funny-ish aside. They tried to put her in the more advanced math class this year based on her EOG score in math which was extremely high. I had to break it to them that she just gamed the test. It's multiple choice on a test that is mostly solve for x. So she just took the most obvious answers and plugged them in to the formula. They were not pleased.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary