Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 8,052 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We arecurrently renting in the South Cary area and have 2 children. One is in 8th grade at Lufkin Road MS and the other is 5th grade at Oak Grove elementary. We are looking at buying a house in Vintage Grove/Surrey Meadows and have a few questions for anyone who knows about this area. Are there many children in this age range there (middle/high school) and is this a safe area? It certainly seems to be safe and is so well kept up.

I love that it is so convenient of an area too. My husband works at NCSU so it’s an easycommute for him and I work in Cary so would be good for me too. I really just want to make sure there arekids there, especially for my younger child who will go to Lufkin Road (that appears to be the year-round option for this location) which is another reason I chose it so that he can stay with his friends from Oak Grove who will also be attending there. Do most of the kids in Vintage Grove/Surrey Meadows go to Apex MS or Lufkin Road or is it pretty split?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info./insights you can give me.

Last edited by Lisa110897; 11-19-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Forgot to say these neighborhoods are in Apex, off of Old Raleigh Rd./Center St.

Thanks again!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Vintage Grove has its own pool, which isn't open to Surrey Meadows.
They are two distinct neighborhoods.
But, the Shepherd's Vineyard pool is open to public membership. Membership

1010/Center Street is very congested during drive time, so then one might run up Old Raleigh Rd./Lake Pine Dr. to US64 to go to Raleigh.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Thank you Mike, I didn't realize that about the pool. I just assumed that Surrey Meadows could use it too since the two neighborhoods are so connected it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Not that my kids really care about a pool anyway, they're getting to that age where it's not that "cool" to hang out at the pool
Other than that though, would you categorize that area as safe, "desirable" and convenient to stores, etc... It certainly has good school assignments which is a bonus. I love the area we're renting now but we're zoned for Athens and hardly any of my son's classmates from Lufkin are going there - so I figured this is still pretty close to the Lochmere/Waverly area but with better schools. Anyone else with info about ages of kids in neighborhood, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:35 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa110897 View Post
Thank you Mike, I didn't realize that about the pool. I just assumed that Surrey Meadows could use it too since the two neighborhoods are so connected it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. Not that my kids really care about a pool anyway, they're getting to that age where it's not that "cool" to hang out at the pool
Other than that though, would you categorize that area as safe, "desirable" and convenient to stores, etc... It certainly has good school assignments which is a bonus. I love the area we're renting now but we're zoned for Athens and hardly any of my son's classmates from Lufkin are going there - so I figured this is still pretty close to the Lochmere/Waverly area but with better schools. Anyone else with info about ages of kids in neighborhood, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
I think it is safe and desirable. But, one has to be careful with that "safe" label, because no place is "perfectly" safe and free of crime, and if you are the one who has a bad experience, you may think, "Hey, that guy...."

Certainly, it is not distant from stores, and with Costco opening up nearly adjacent to Lake Pine Kroger shopping center, there will be many retail conveniences available.

Have a good inspection. Surrey Meadows and Vintage Grove were built in the heyday of polybutylene piping and hardboard siding, and maintenance varies from house to house.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Thank you again Mike for the info. I also kind of answered my own question about kids when we drove around the 2 neighborhoods this weekend on early Saturday evening. We saw quite a few kids out who looked about middle/high school age and saw a few different bonfires going in people's driveways with people sitting around having drinks. Looked like fun! Definitely seems like a nice, friendly neighborhood. I will make sure to remember about a good inspection when we do make an offer on one.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM

39 posts, read 95,106 times
Hi,
We lived in Surrey Meadows about 5 years ago. Most of the kids around us where young...but, I guess if they still live there, they would be jr. high age now or older . We found Surrey Meadows/Vintage Grove very convenient and safe (I often walked my dog at night). People do keep their properties up well...but, the HOA pretty much keeps on top of anything they see that needs improvement on your home or yard.
We loved the neighborhood and hated to move.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback Missymi, that's good to hear. I was definitely struck by how neat and manicured everyone keeps their property and it looks like the HOA does a great job on the common areas. It will also be a bonus being right down the street from the new Costco. Now I just have to hope the right house comes on the market when we're ready this spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary