Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

I need to complete 25 hours of comunity service by December 2. I've been contacting volunteer agencies and the have been telling me that they don't have any volunteering work until next year. I got a speeding ticket about a month ago (going 82 in construction zone in raleigh wake County ) and asked for a prayer for judgement and in order for the judge to grant it I need to complete my hours but it seems that I I won't be able to complete them on time. How do I get and extension so I can complete them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
The first place to ask would be whoever assigned you the community service. If you have proof of contacting places and being told there is nothing (at the Holidays, I find that hard to believe), they might extend it. Meanwhile, I know of countless places always needing volunteers--the Food Bank needs people to unpack and sort donations, community centers and city parks continually have volunteer programs doing things like general facility maintenance, etc. Local community theaters always need help with set-building and costume sewing. Call Raleigh Little Theatre or North Raleigh Arts & Creative Theater, those are two I've worked with personally.

Look up the Center for NonProfits and get a list of places; there is no way that at this time of year, there is nobody in need of volunteers.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Try the wake County Public Library System.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Rather than an extension, contact Raleigh Parks and Rec - they usually can give you more than enough hours. They have some great programs you can help with. Also, the Salvation Army might have opportunities(?).

And, please learn from this. You could kill someone or yourself driving that fast in a work zone. We have had quite a few bad accidents in the greater triangle area's work zones over the years. I've been driving thru them for years here and know that conditions can change quickly - truck pulling onto the road at slow rate of speed. Workers trying to cross the road.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:08 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Most established volunteer agencies want people who want to volunteer not people who "need" to volunteer.

Maybe try a local school or something? Church?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 AM

620 posts, read 639,016 times
I have a hard time believing that there's nowhere to volunteer in all of Wake County through the Holiday season.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 PM

14 posts, read 8,355 times
I think you should try at India where you will get lots of other volunteering opportunities any time. There are lots of organization like iSpiice working on it.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Believe it or not, volunteer opportunities can be hard to come by if they're needed to pay off a fine. My DS got a ticket and was assigned CS. It also has to be an approved volunteer organization, we were told any organization that receives United Way assistance. We were given a rather extensive list, but most of them were booked up to past his due date. You had to do all your hours at the same facility, no splitting hours. To further complicate matters, many places didn't accept volunteers under 18, he was 16 at the time.

I finally managed to wiggle him into the animal shelter if I would go with him and supervise since he was under 18.Sometimes dh went, sometimes I went. However, we worked, too. I couldn't see sitting there while there was work to be done! They told us we could donate our hours to ds, so we did. He was still shy a few hours. We adopted a cat, and they called it even! Marshmallow was a gorgeous, black&white Maine Coon, the most beautiful, and most friendly cat I ever had. Nobody wanted him because he was too old---about 11 years old, but that was ok with us. We had the pleasure of his company for 4.5 years, then he passed away suddenly from diabetes---we didn't even know he was sick!

The judge did say if we had trouble finding volunteer opportunities to simply ask, he might approve others. Or, he could grant an extension IF he saw evidence of you trying, not just whining at the last minute you couldn't complete it, when you hadn't even bothered to start!

A last resort option, you could pay the difference. Say you were assigned 100 hours community service, and only completed 90 hours, they would assign a value to the hours, usually min wage. So, the remaining 10 hours you could pay 10 x 7.35 = $73.50 Better to do some more hours!

Hope this helps some

Old 11-19-2015, 05:43 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Interesting to learn you can pay in lieu of actually volunteering. I'd like to say that it's surprising but....... I've learned over the years that the criminal justice system is much more about payments and fines then learning your lesson.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Interesting to learn you can pay in lieu of actually volunteering. I'd like to say that it's surprising but....... I've learned over the years that the criminal justice system is much more about payments and fines then learning your lesson.

That's in Texas, it may vary from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: