Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
There's a difference between a 3000sf postage stamp, and 5+ acres for utility.

In my opinion, no lot should be under 0.25 acre. It makes for ugly neighborhoods with no vegetation or character. Save that for condos/townhouses. 0.25-0.5 acre is the sweet spot. There's many lots of this size in the area with very little actual lawn/yard to take care of. But you get that nice tree buffer.

Being on the introverted side, I don't like to have to engage in conversation with four of my neighbors every time I run out to my car, or grab the mail. Again that's personal preference, and I can see the other side for people who enjoy that type of thing.

Small lots benefit the builder the most, there's no denying that.
This is us entirely. My next house will have more land and a tree buffer between the houses. I grew up on a postage stamp (50 x 125) in a town/city environment, of course they delivered the mail to your front door, so no issues getting mail without talking to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you aren't interested in a small lot, don't buy it.

If you prefer to have a larger lot, there are plenty of areas that have that.

I'm not sure why it "bothers" people that others want something different than they do.

To each his own.
Agreed.

That said, I do feel sad when all the trees disappear. But, what size lot people build on is irrelevant to me, personally.

The size and orientation of the house on my lot and the overall appearance of the neighborhood where I choose to live are the types of things that matter to me. I see value in all sorts of neighborhoods with a wide variety of home sizes, lot sizes, etc. As long as a developer has buyers, that layout/style of house/lot size/etc is desirable.

If it wasn't, developers wouldn't build it.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
There's a difference between a 3000sf postage stamp, and 5+ acres for utility.

In my opinion, no lot should be under 0.25 acre. It makes for ugly neighborhoods with no vegetation or character. Save that for condos/townhouses. 0.25-0.5 acre is the sweet spot. There's many lots of this size in the area with very little actual lawn/yard to take care of. But you get that nice tree buffer.

Being on the introverted side, I don't like to have to engage in conversation with four of my neighbors every time I run out to my car, or grab the mail. Again that's personal preference, and I can see the other side for people who enjoy that type of thing.

Small lots benefit the builder the most, there's no denying that.
We park in our garage. Which solves the "run out to the car" issue.

I often send one of the kids to the mailbox.

It's largely irrelevant because I do not live in a neighborhood where people tend to loiter in driveways and front yards.

We do live on a quarter acre, but the slope of the lot is such that the front yard was large (to prevent having too many steps to the door, I suppose. Back yard is very small. Very.

We don't care much about big yards, so this isn't a huge deal, but I'd have preferred a bit more yard in back.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:32 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you aren't interested in a small lot, don't buy it.

If you prefer to have a larger lot, there are plenty of areas that have that.

I'm not sure why it "bothers" people that others want something different than they do.

To each his own.
It doesn't bother me at all that that is what people want. We wanted at least quarter acre when we moved here because we were sick of neighbors being right on top of us. It's great when they are great neighbors, which 99% of ours were. All it takes is one guy on an 80x80 plot who installs a built in kitchen, deck, outdoor speakers, hot tub, 4 patio tables and a bar in his yard to ruin it for everyone. What, sounds carries over 40 feet? The only enjoyment from those neighbors was seeing where the wife's new cast was, because she was always drunk and falling down and keeping the ER in business. And this was in a village that effectively acted as an HOA, so when people move here and ask for "family friendly neighborhoods with lots of kids where everyone is nice" - 99% of us want that, but there's the one whose idea of that is in complete opposition to everyone else's that becomes the thorn in the side. When you're on .40 it's not quite as aggravating.

Western Wake is going to look like Nassau County, NY in 20 years, and have all the problems (hopefully sans exorbitant taxes) that Nassau has because of its density. Not much forward thinking going on here as far as that's concerned. Everything looks good over there now, but eventually it will age and we will see what happens then.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
My lot size is .19 - I'd like a bigger backyard for the dog, but not for the mowing. It's sloped back there, so she gets nicely tired out. My lot is shaped like a pie wedge and the one thing I could do without is being in my yard and being in view of three different neighbors (it would be five if not for a privacy fence in one area).

I didn't think this through, not that I'm doing anything scandalous back there

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
It doesn't bother me that people want small lots. It bothers me that people want what lines the pockets and encourages laziness of developers

Even small lots can still have some trees.

Last edited by m378; 12-13-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 08:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I think the problem with new construction is multi-fold. First most people do not seem willing to pay for or maintain good landscaping. Second, smaller homes are all oriented like side-by-side shoe boxes, that is, they are all exactly a car length from the side walk, and the front facades are all in a straight line. (These are houses folks, not townhouses!) Third, the homes are all built at the same time--in the past a builder might buy a big property, divide it into lots, and people would buy lots and build houses one at a time, over time, with entirely different architects involved. It made for a nice mix of styles built out over a period of at least a few years. Fourth, houses are frequently pushed up to the front of the lot so there is no room (or HOA approval) to put in interesting features such as a little fenced garden or a patio with a couple of chairs or something attractive but personable in the front (see Oakwood for comparison).

Actually I'm glad that a lot of people like the small lots because it helps control sprawl. I just wish that there was somewhere that would suit someone like me (I love reasonable privacy and good landscaping) when I downsize, someone who likes the idea of Oakwood but can't afford it due to its proximity to DT Raleigh.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes we came from a teeny tiny plot in NY and that house is closer to the century mark than not. The difference is that it was about 1200 square feet, so while we were close to our neighbors, we couldn't reach out and touch someone in the next house from ours.

My opinion? People who move here from other places (and I'm a transplant myself) feel the need to show everyone "back home" "what you can get for the same price as here!" and so, when they claim to want to move to somewhere with a lower COL and higher QOL, simply end up trading one set of issues for another. And who doesn't want a brand new shiny house? Of course, at some point, the house isn't new anymore, but just down the road they are building one just like yours so no worries for the next wave of transplants. But it has the wow factor when you show your friends and family back home what you built. It's a justification for moving when maybe you're not 100% sure you want to do it. After all, what's the point of moving from the Megalopolis if you are just going to buy a regular old 2000 square foot house that was built in the last century?

When we were thinking of moving here my parents had just built in Carolina Preserve. I remember going to their house in October, and it was like standing on the sun. I remember thinking "what is this going to be like in July?" That's when I knew we were buying a place with trees. Lots of trees.
Yep; exactly.

The market has shifted in Western Wake Co. to essentially cater to that very specific set of buyers. Those who must have all the bells and whistles for the "wow" factor.....largely to show off to those suckers "back home".

My dad has been in the homebuilding business in the Triangle for over 20 years....in the very high-end market. The features people are considering "must haves" for the mcmansion on a postage-stamp in the $350-$500k range now are things that his clients in the $2-$4 million range would have considered "a nice bonus" 10 years ago.

Nowadays if you want a new middle class single-family starter home, or even a 2nd move-up home for under $300k....you'd better make sure you "know your place" out in Fuquay, Garner, Knightdale, or Wendell.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yep; exactly.

The market has shifted in Western Wake Co. to essentially cater to that very specific set of buyers. Those who must have all the bells and whistles for the "wow" factor.....largely to show off to those suckers "back home".

My dad has been in the homebuilding business in the Triangle for over 20 years....in the very high-end market. The features people are considering "must haves" for the mcmansion on a postage-stamp in the $350-$500k range now are things that his clients in the $2-$4 million range would have considered "a nice bonus" 10 years ago.

Nowadays if you want a new middle class single-family starter home, or even a 2nd move-up home for under $300k....you'd better make sure you "know your place" out in Fuquay, Garner, Knightdale, or Wendell.
I'm not sure if any of my friends/family "back home" would be jealous of a super nice house on a postage stamp lot, as they're all rocking their 0.5 - 1 acre lots.

We came here, bought a house built in the 90's with 0.25 acres. We could have bought new construction for slightly more, but that wasn't what we wanted, nor the reason we moved here.

What my friends/family *will* be jealous of, is when my wife and I retire 5-10 years earlier, all while living in a warmer climate with less traffic better quality of life.

I think we made a good investment. IMO, buying a new McMansion with no land, is like buying a new car. It's not your house that appreciates, it's the land. If you look at real estate up north where housing stock is old, it's the land that's worth the money, not the house.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if any of my friends/family "back home" would be jealous of a super nice house on a postage stamp lot, as they're all rocking their 0.5 - 1 acre lots.

We came here, bought a house built in the 90's with 0.25 acres. We could have bought new construction for slightly more, but that wasn't what we wanted, nor the reason we moved here.

What my friends/family *will* be jealous of, is when my wife and I retire 5-10 years earlier, all while living in a warmer climate with less traffic better quality of life.

I think we made a good investment. IMO, buying a new McMansion with no land, is like buying a new car. It's not your house that appreciates, it's the land. If you look at real estate up north where housing stock is old, it's the land that's worth the money, not the house.
Yes; but not everyone thinks these things through the way you did. Unfortunately I think you are in the minority in the more investment savvy way you purchased your home in the triangle after moving from the NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary