Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 PM

650 posts, read 930,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNC View Post
My car failed inspection today, but I am suspicious whether it should have. I think it is fine and they were just trying to sell me service. I paid $23.75 for the failure notice and plan to take it somewhere else.

My questions -

1 - will it be flagged in a computer system as failing? (Might lead to the second station also trying to upsell me.)

2 - is it legit to charge me for the failure notice to begin with?

Thanks
there is two parts of the test- Safety and emissions. You failed the safety side and it must be repaired. Repair it and go back to the same location where it failed and you will just pay the $8.00 for the sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,946 times
What sticker???

Old 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input but not what I asked.
You got multiple answers. Sounds more like "not what you wanted to hear".

Fix the brakes and get it reinspected. These people who do inspections have their livelihood on the line. The guy who used to do my inspection got in trouble with the state because he passed a car that shouldn't have. (I don't know the ins and outs of how they catch this but I know he got fined and probation).

Sounds like you just need your brakes bled, you can do it yourself or take it to your preferred mechanic. Should not be too expensive, I would imagine.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Sounds like you just need your brakes bled ...
That will allow the vehicle to pass inspection. A larger question is: how did air get into the hydraulic system? Perhaps more work is needed.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:27 AM

371 posts, read 1,219,133 times
1. They can't charge you anything if they give you a "Not Ready" report. They can charge $23.xx for failed inspection. I don't think the system will flag and the other station would know it

2. I recently had similar experience - my inspection failed (it's a visual inspection of steering assembly) and took it immediately to another station - it passed. Disputed with my credit card of the first transaction and got my money back

Old 01-13-2016, 04:32 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
Quote:
"Air in the brake lines," though the brakes work fine.

BS. This wasn't an emissions issue. It will not pop up in the system or show up when your car is plugged into diagnostics. This was an "upsell" and nothing else. At the least, go buy a $5 can of the proper DOT level brake fluid. It should be labelled on the filler cap under the hood. Open the lid, and have someone pump the brakes. If it bubbles and the level is below the full mark, add fluid. Congrats, you've just done more than the place who tried to tell you you had air in your lines. I bet they made it up. Almost all garages that do repairs and inspections will try to sell you $45 wiper blades, a $15 license plate bulb, etc. ALWAYS tell them to fail it, and that you will fix it yourself and bring it back. This usually results in a quick "pass".

I've seen the "upsell fix" tried over and over. They've tried it on me several times, I always refuse the service. They told my wife her headlights were out of alignment! I've watched them do it to women and the elderly nearly every time I go in and have an inspection. It's a terrible business practice.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:21 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
How would they even know there was air in the lines? I've never seen anyone crack a bleeder screw and see if air came out. Unless it was obviously low on fluid or the brake pedal felt weird they wouldn't know.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Anyone with moderate experience working on cars could feel a spongy brake pedal just from one application. I've driven mostly junk my whole life and do all the repair work myself and I can tell when a brake cylinder is going bad just from the feel of the pedal.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Anyone with moderate experience working on cars could feel a spongy brake pedal just from one application. I've driven mostly junk my whole life and do all the repair work myself and I can tell when a brake cylinder is going bad just from the feel of the pedal.
Agree. I don't know where the "everyone is out to get me" mentality comes from. It's not an "upsell" of a light bulb if it's truly burnt. That's on you for not checking before you took it in for an inspection! Either the bulb works or it doesn't work.

If the brakes are truly spongy, then the OP could take his/her chances and shop around at different inspection stations, or he/she could just take the extra few minutes and have their brakes looked at (they are slightly important).

Nobody is forcing you to buy the wipers/bulbs/brakes to get inspected. You fail, fix the problem and get it re-inspected. It's not rocket science here!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I guess I was assigning too much weight to the OP saying it felt fine. You're right, you can definitely tell by pedal feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: