Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 12,423 times

Advertisements

Sorry about yet another school thread, but I am reluctantly being forced into the helicopter parent role by my other half. I've searched around these forums, read school pamphlets, and visited some schools but I didn't get a chance to talk to parents who have children already in a given magnet program. We've ruled most charter schools out as I got a strange vibe. Private schools are also a no go for us. I've got twins who are going to attend 1st grade soon and while we've lived 40 miles south of the Triangle for some time, are new residents to Wake County.

I'm essentially trying to compare the IB and GT programs. Correct me if I'm mistaken, and I know this is oversimplifying it, but the IB program seems more no-nonsense, traditional academically in that they get education in the core subjects with some electives. The GT and some of the international magnets offer more variety to pursue a child's individual needs and desires at the expense of a traditional curriculum.

I attended an IB magnet high school on the West Coast over a decade ago and looking back, I found the program rewarding although I hated it at the time. The IB program, at least at my high school, really emphasized depth of knowledge versus the amount of knowledge that AP has a reputation for as well as critical thinking skills. However, I would like to hear some insights on the elementary program at specific schools. While the HS program was challenging, what do you and your children feel about the elementary program and its rigor? Did they enjoy it? In regards to the rigor, I want my kids to be challenged as they were bored in kindergarten yet at the same time, want them to be kids.

While I want to be involved with my kids' education, I do not want to be that overbearing parent that micromanages everything their child does. I do not want to be the parent that does whatever it takes to have them in AIG classes as they call it while having them simultaneously play three instruments while juggling multiple sports in between tutors. That was a vibe that I got from a lot of the charter schools and from some of the parents at the information briefing. My wife claims she's not one of those "tiger moms" but I have my doubts. Not judging it negatively, but it's not a philosophy I want to embrace for my kids. Different strokes.

My twins are interested in music, science, commo gadgets, and computers and the people at the magnet information briefing said the GT schools offer the most variety of different programs, and it seems from the academic programs at the GT schools do have more electives in the arts area. But what about the other magnets, most if not all seemed to offer the arts as part of the standard curriculum? Looking at some of the electives at the GT school, it seemed overkill, especially for elementary school. With all those electives, do you ever feel like your kids might not get the education that others do in the core subjects?

At the same time, the twins do have a variety of interests that I think they're still trying to figure out as we have exposed them to a variety of things from classical music and dance to rifle marksmanship and basic auto maintenace.

I've asked my kids to get a feel for what they would like to learn and they said, "Dunno, whatever." Thanks for the help

Sorry about the long-winded mumblings of a parent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM

251 posts, read 515,678 times
My kids to to Washington GT Magnet Elementary and we love it. There is something for all of my kids--my oldest is in 5th grade (and I'm looking at middle magnets for him) and I have twins--one in a regular first grade class and one in AU1 (self-contained autism classroom, as he is nonverbal). My oldest is AIG and takes 6th grade English this year. He has had some fun and challenging electives and there is something to keep him challenged. My daughter in regular first grade is into dance and art and she LOVES her dance electives and her teachers have been excellent. My son in AU1 has a great teacher, therapists, and they do a lot of great things, like have a therapy dog 2x a month. I'm on PTA at the school and volunteer. I love it. It's a great place.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 AM

360 posts, read 517,526 times
What are you looking for that your neighborhood school can't provide is a good question to ask yourself.

For many the opportunity to go to a school with other kids in the neighborhood is a real consideration. We considered going to a magnet school "giving up" that opportunity, which wasn't the easiest choice to make, but one that has worked out well for us. We're happy with our magnet choice, but it isn't either of the two you mentioned.

For me, I wouldn't give up my neighborhood school for IB. I would for GT, but only because I have a child that is AIG identified and they would have specific opportunities at that school that are hard to get at some other schools. I suppose it all depends on the strength of your neighborhood school and if that school is a good fit for your family.

Good luck! Choice makes for a lot of work around here, but also a lot of neat opportunities.

Don't underestimate your neighborhood school though. Fancy magnets are great, but sometimes the neighborhood schools are just as good for your child and more convenient.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:58 PM

13 posts, read 12,423 times
The neighborhood school is going through some issues and my kids need some extra attention. They were taught really young to the point where they haven't learned anything new. I looked at the 1st grade curriculum and it doesn't seem like they'll learn anything new, even with SSA.

Ideally, I would like for them to go to the neighborhood school and go to school with their neighborhood friends. Except our kids know many of the other children in town through sports leagues and such, and many of those kids attend magnets or charters. Most of their friends don't go to their neighborhood school.

I'll look closer into Washington, that was one of the schools higher up on the list. Why would you choose GT/AIG over IB/AIG? Can you elaborate on the specific opportunities? SSA or more on the creative arts side?

You're right about the number of choices though. When I went through school, we only had two choices. Sounds like a good problem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary