Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

I think the phrase "destined for greatness" is a bit grandiose, no? I like Raleigh fine, but I wouldn't describe it or any other city as "destined for greatness". That's just never a phrase I could type or utter without irony. "Destined for greatness"? Srsly? Sounds like a bad meme "Try these 10 weird old tricks to see if you're destined for greatness".

I do think Raleigh often gets under Charlotte boosters' skin for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the phrase "destined for greatness" is a bit grandiose, no? I like Raleigh fine, but I wouldn't describe it or any other city as "destined for greatness". That's just never a phrase I could type or utter without irony. "Destined for greatness"? Srsly? Sounds like a bad meme "Try these 10 weird old tricks to see if you're destined for greatness".

I do think Raleigh often gets under Charlotte boosters' skin for whatever reason.
reminds me of how NC State people feel about Carolina

Inferior people have an inferiority complex toward those perceived above them

Superior just don't care / don't notice

Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM

I think on some level since we are a metro area with three cities with our own local rivalries and dynamics we're very happy in our own little world and Charlottonions are looking for a city to compete with

don't forget we've historically been a college sports state...an area charlotte is lacking.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I think on some level since we are a metro area with three cities with our own local rivalries and dynamics we're very happy in our own little world and Charlottonions are looking for a city to compete with

don't forget we've historically been a college sports state...an area charlotte is lacking.
Hickory?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-02-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
Quote:
Very good point. The cities in the Triangle have a fairly friendly "rivalry" and Charlotte only comes into the mix in certain circumstances. Most of the time Charlotte's left looking at cities in other states for comparison and I think many times those comparisons aren't ones where Charlotte has the upper hand, so it's back to Charlotte vs. Raleigh where they've got some assets Raleigh doesn't.

Quote:
Another excellent point. Even UNCA gets into the tourney some times. Poor Charlotte is totally left out of this one.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM

464 posts, read 523,436 times
Quote:

I've never looked at it that way. It all makes sense now.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
It's a two way street, like most topics. Human nature, unfortunately, is to see "their" side as the only viable side.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Raleigh really does not stand on it's own. Raleigh feeds off of Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill and the RTP. If those cities and the RTP were 50 miles away, Raleigh would be just a sleepy Southern capital.
I don't care to debate which city is best either but I will say that Raleigh will always be unique because or RTP and because it is part of the Triangle.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:08 PM

36 posts, read 39,532 times
Quote:
reminds me of how NC State people feel about Carolina

Inferior people have an inferiority complex toward those perceived above them

Superior just don't care / don't notice
The only way this analogy is accurate is if Charlotte built a culture of corruption and cheating, all the while looking down their noses and touting the pristine "Charlotte way" to the rest of the state.

You just identified yourself as one of the fake, entitled, under-educated "students" they churn out at CH. Are you an AFAM major? Regardless, I assure you that you are not superior.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM

Lol guess we found the state grad

In full disclosure I am an app grad who did grad school in Unc and I don't have a dog in this stuff but I can think of NUMEROUS occasions of state folk trying to hype up a Unc rivalry and getting purple about it

And Unc folk? Don't care at all lol they only worry about duke

Sorry friend

The lesson here folks is being a spurned lover (or hater ) is a sad state indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary