Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times

Advertisements

The proposed location for theAgro Defense Facility is in Butner which is in Granville county. So why is this issue being brought in front of the Raleigh City Council which is located in Wake County?

I understand that this is a topic of interest for many people in the area, but I don't understand why this process is being run through a different city and county than the actual proposed location.

Anybod know why this is happening this way? Why isn't this going through the Butner City / Town council?

newsobserver.com | Raleigh council to discuss Butner facility (broken link)

"Council members accepted public comment on the project during its meeting Tuesday. Citizens have until noon on Feb. 15 to submit written comments to the Raleigh City Clerk's office. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Probably because Raleigh is the closest major city and its citizens may be concerned about some of what goes on so close to their backyard. Shearon Harris is not located in the city limits, but I'm sure a lot of citizens have concerns about what goes on there.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Probably because Raleigh is the closest major city and its citizens may be concerned about some of what goes on so close to their backyard. Shearon Harris is not located in the city limits, but I'm sure a lot of citizens have concerns about what goes on there.
Oh I understand that people here in Raleigh are concerned about this. I just don't understand what kind of power the city of Raleigh has over something that is not only not within the city limits but not even within Wake County. What power does the Raleigh city council have over what happens in Granville county? That's what I am confused about.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Butner is in the Falls Lake Watershed, so I assume Raleigh's angle is that it has the potential to be a threat to it's water supply.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
They might not have any direct say, but they are certainly a powerful voice when it comes to lobbying officials who may have say.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:45 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The proposed location for theAgro Defense Facility is in Butner which is in Granville county. So why is this issue being brought in front of the Raleigh City Council which is located in Wake County?

I understand that this is a topic of interest for many people in the area, but I don't understand why this process is being run through a different city and county than the actual proposed location.

Anybod know why this is happening this way? Why isn't this going through the Butner City / Town council?

newsobserver.com | Raleigh council to discuss Butner facility (broken link)

"Council members accepted public comment on the project during its meeting Tuesday. Citizens have until noon on Feb. 15 to submit written comments to the Raleigh City Clerk's office. "
I say the Raleigh city council should open public comment on the Federal Governments Economic Stimulus package too. That directly and indirectly affects Raleigh residents.

I would agree the angle here is the facility being in the watershed of Falls Lake. Imagine a biological contamination leeching into Falls Lake. It would make the drought problem seem like a kinked hose during summer watering season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary