Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 AM

29 posts, read 34,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, possibly a refinance could be in order to tap appreciation equity to eliminate PMI?
Except, at 3.75, He has a dandy rate already...
Yes 3.75 is a good rate, and it's possible to refinance and get that or possibly a slightly better rate. Although I'd suggest looking at a shorter term, reducing rate, and removing MI... maybe a 20 year mortgage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 05:15 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Schwartz View Post
Yes 3.75 is a good rate, and it's possible to refinance and get that or possibly a slightly better rate. Although I'd suggest looking at a shorter term, reducing rate, and removing MI... maybe a 20 year mortgage
So, the interest rate benefit of refinancing is pretty slim, but removing PMI and the resulting cash flow could make it worthwhile?

What might a 20 year rate be?
I saw a 15 year at 2.875 the other day.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 AM

Quote:
So, the interest rate benefit of refinancing is pretty slim, but removing PMI and the resulting cash flow could make it worthwhile?

What might a 20 year rate be?
I saw a 15 year at 2.875 the other day.
Well, the range would be 3.375 - 3.625 ish... of course this is taking into account many factors...

Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 AM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Schwartz View Post
Well, the range would be 3.375 - 3.625 ish... of course this is taking into account many factors...
Yeah, that is not terribly appealing, I would guess. Particularly when he already is not inclined to refi.
I guess the size of the loan would determine if the benefit of dropping PMI would make it worthwhile.

Of course, a refi with removal of PMI and a similar payment would mean that all of the monthly would be applied to principle and interest rather much of it covering that PMI payment.

It seems that often borrowers, agents, and lenders get too focused on rate and need to always consider the big picture.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is not terribly appealing, I would guess. Particularly when he already is not inclined to refi.
I guess the size of the loan would determine if the benefit of dropping PMI would make it worthwhile.

Of course, a refi with removal of PMI and a similar payment would mean that all of the monthly would be applied to principle and interest rather much of it covering that PMI payment.

It seems that often borrowers, agents, and lenders get too focused on rate and need to always consider the big picture.
Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture! First you've got to see what's the main goal, pay off house or reduce payment.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,699 times
Question for those who have done this - once PMI is removed, does this result in an immediate reduction in the monthly payment, or do you need to wait for the next escrow analysis? (Assuming PMI is being paid out of escrow)

Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 AM

399 posts, read 806,788 times
If it helps any, my original loan balance was around 230k when I bough it in Feb 2013. I've paid it down to about 209 after 4 years.

But with the way the market has exploded, my townhome is worth ~300k or so, and have several recent comps to prove it. And that's being a little on the conservative side.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:09 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,549,269 times
I have an FHA, I called my bank and they said that FHA is super strict about the 20% of PURCHASE PRICE thing and that there's almost no chance they would budge even with an appraisal.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:17 AM

236 posts, read 186,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
If it helps any, my original loan balance was around 230k when I bough it in Feb 2013. I've paid it down to about 209 after 4 years. But with the way the market has exploded, my townhome is worth ~300k or so, and have several recent comps to prove it. And that's being a little on the conservative side.
Feb 2013 to Feb 2016 would be three years rather than four.

Please realize your equity assumption based on comps is speculative at best and means very little to the bank. Let's say your home did increase in market value 30% over three years due to booming housing market. All it would take is a stock market crash to have immediate impact on the economy and housing market, eroding that potential equity, perhaps taking your market value back to the purchase price or even lower in a matter of only a few months. Crashes can occur quickly, leaving you underwater on the loan.

The bank has to consider that risk, therefore mortgage insurance calculations are based on the original purchase price, not what it might sell for, speculatively.

So that extra $70k that you feel like you've acquired is not a "real" $70k unless you proved it existed by selling the home right now and pocketing the money.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:59 AM

236 posts, read 186,960 times
Also is it just me or is $200-220 a month PMI on a $230k-ish loan crazy high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary