Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for people who have experience with them and if you would recommend them or not? I know what makes them different compared to companies who do full replacement. If you have used WW, are you happy with them? What series window did you get?

I'm considering WW, or buying windows at Home Depot or Lowes and installing them myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Window World has an OK window and has been putting them in for quite some time. Did you get a quote? Were there a lot of added fees beyond the advertised price?
But, you probably will get better bang for your buck if you do the install and don't buy the cheapest window the big boxes offer.
It isn't all that hard if you are pretty handy. The nice touch, and real difficulty, is wrapping the sills and brick mold with aluminum, which really finishes off the job nicely.
I would price/value check Window World against Aluminum Company of NC and Kelly Window and Door.

Bona fides: I sold vinyl replacement windows for two companies, one of the big boxes and a local company.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:07 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I got a quote from Window World and I was surprised as Mike pointed out how all the fees added up.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I got a quote from Window World and I was surprised as Mike pointed out how all the fees added up.
Did you use them, someone else, or decide to wait?

Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
I had 14 windows replaced by Window World back in 2006 and 2007. Had 4 done 1st and liked them so much I decided to have the others replaced as well a few months later. I got the Series 4000 DH All-welded 201 ..... Low-E glass and Argon gas with Contoured Grids

Total cost for 14 windows and Vinyl Window facing was $4,000.05 .... that worked out to be $285.75 per window. That was over 9 years ago. I had an issue with one window a couple of years ago (lost gas I think)
and they came out and replaced free of charge. My experience with the sales person and installers was great.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Window World has an OK window and has been putting them in for quite some time. Did you get a quote? Were there a lot of added fees beyond the advertised price?
But, you probably will get better bang for your buck if you do the install and don't buy the cheapest window the big boxes offer.
It isn't all that hard if you are pretty handy. The nice touch, and real difficulty, is wrapping the sills and brick mold with aluminum, which really finishes off the job nicely.
I would price/value check Window World against Aluminum Company of NC and Kelly Window and Door.

Bona fides: I sold vinyl replacement windows for two companies, one of the big boxes and a local company.
Yes I received a quote and familiar with the extra fees. I'm at $363 a window right now but I have some rotting wood on the sills and brickmould which is adding to it. Argon gas and exterior trim are also adding to the cost as well. This doesn't include grids which my wife wants on the front of the home which is $44 a window. I will check out the other companies you recommended.

I could do the windows myself, but one price I got from Lowes doesn't make it much cheaper really. The only way I would do that is if the windows are a lot better than WW is offering.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:40 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
We used Window World about seven years ago for replacement windows on three large side by side windows in the living room. Code required extra strength because the length was so close to the floor. Total price right around $1,500. They also did a good job on the trim outside. No problems so far. I open and close them all the time.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Another option in between a big company and doing it yourself is getting a small company to do it. Small as in one guy with an assistant. I got Simonton windows installed a few years back. I asked the building supply store to recommend a few installers and found that one that way. Saved a TON of money and the guy did a great job including capping all the trim in aluminum. He's since moved out of the area, but when a tree broke one of the windows I contacted the building supply store again and they got me a free replacement under warranty (assumed I was going to have to pay for it, but they submitted it as a broken seal).

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention option #3.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:55 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Did you use them, someone else, or decide to wait?

I used Window Works and had a terrible experience, I do NOT recommend them at all.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
I used Window World about 9 yrs ago. I won't do it again, but please understand why. The problem was not with the product, the quote, or the way the company did business. It was with my own lack of understanding of what constitutes a good window installation.

Window World sells mid-market vinyl windows at an attractive price, and the window product itself is fine for the price. But unless they have changed their way of doing business they also say "using your existing window frames" when advertising those attractive prices.

In 99% of the cases, at least in the humid triangle area, where replacement often involves original builder windows that are 15-30 years old, installing windows from the inside on top of the existing frames is just the wrong thing to do. Your existing window framing will most likely have some rot that needs to be addressed.

In the case of my Window World install, they simply pulled off the INTERIOR trim, jerked the old window out, threw the new window in, screwed it down, nailed the trim back, slapped some caulk over the dented/damaged trim, ignored the drywall damage that occurred as a result, and called it a day using one guy to do many windows in the span of a couple of hours. I was too naive to understand that this was all I was going to get for 10 windows at about $2200, but that this is not EVEN CLOSE to a quality window installation.

You cannot do a good job on window installs from the inside. Period.

These days so much information is available on Youtube regarding proper window installation, that it's very possible Window World has discontinued this practice. I doubt it because I still see them offering the $199 per window specials. I sincerely hope they are at least educating the consumer on the fact that this is a Band-Aid install and is not something you want to do in a home you plan to stay in or want to sell at some point and get a good return on.

Better window installers will do nothing but full-frame replacement. This unconditionally means installing the window from the outside, replacing all of the original framing (it's not that much more work to do this, that's the tragic part).

If someone quotes you less than $500 for a typical sized window installed, be VERY suspicious. They are just installing over wet and moldy wood, which may actually cause more problems with the new window than you had with the old ones. The labor required to fix the situation will end up costing more than if you just did it right the first time.

I'm fairly sure WW would do "proper" window replacement if you ask for it, but its not going to be $200 per window.

The fact that they continue with these $199 teaser ads infuriates me after my own experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: