Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times

Advertisements

I've always been a Harris Teeter person since I moved here. Now that I live within walking distance of the Kroger on Six Forks Rd, I might go and check them out. How do they compare? Are they pretty much the same thing as Harris Teeter since Kroger bought out HT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 PM

913 posts, read 885,455 times
Some of the differences I found is Kroger's chicken breast in the meat case is trimmed much neater. Not a huge issue for most, but I make thin cutlets of about 3lbs a day to feed my bunch. So trimmer is a real time saver. I prefer the produce at Kroger as well. HT's apples are way too big and I find the berries get mushy too fast. Other than that I find them pretty similar.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
I prefer Kroger but I like both.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I've always been a Harris Teeter person since I moved here. Now that I live within walking distance of the Kroger on Six Forks Rd, I might go and check them out. How do they compare? Are they pretty much the same thing as Harris Teeter since Kroger bought out HT?
I always liked the Kroger that once was on 55 near High House, before it closed.

Keeping price out of the equation, I always prefered Harris Teeter. Nice looking stores, wide variety of products, great displays, quality employees, better class of shoppers. Just an all around better shopping experience than most any other regular grocery store.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Since Kroger owns Harris Teeter, I would hope that my Kroger Plus card would be valid at Harris Teeter... but it's not.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,052 times
I am a "price first" shopper and am not as picky about quality as some. Personally I do find myself going to Kroger sometimes, and I almost never set foot in a Teeter - and would not dare to buy staples there for fear of sticker shock.

Kroger costs a bit more than my usual Food Lion but it's not THAT much more, and they do have more variety and they do have full service deli, seafood, and meat counters, which my local Food Lion lacks, and a better bakery department. Their prices are more like 10-15% higher than Food Lion, rather than 50% to 100% higher like Harris Teeter or Lowe's Foods. ($5.99 for a regular old can of oatmeal - you gotta be kidding me.)

When I go Krogering, I go to the stores at Maynard/High House and Lake Pine/US64.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
I like Kroger better...especially their meat. Thickest, tastiest, juiciest steak I ever got was from the Kroger on 54 in Durham. Also regularly go to the one off 15-501, sometimes MLK, all consistently awesome! I wish there was one closer to Carrboro. I usually have to hit it on the way home from work. I do like Harris Teeter, though. There may be one right in downtown Carrboro and I go sometimes but most of the time I'll end up driving to Southpoint instead for good ol' Kroger. It's cheaper than HT too.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,108 times
I worked for HT in HS and College, and I appreciated the focus they had on quality - even though the prices are a bit higher. The buyout scared me a little, because my experience at Kroger hasn't been as good (especially the produce). Unless something is on sale at Kroger, I'm mostly HT-loyal.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 PM

141 posts, read 163,084 times
Harris Teeter is better, hands down, in my opinion. Even the nicest Krogers rarely compare to a normal Harris Teeter. Prices are about the same, but Harris Teeter has nicer stores, better products, and better customer service, IMHO. I too, wish I could use my Kroger card at Harris Teeter, and vice versa, but I can understand why they don't allow that.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I always liked the Kroger that once was on 55 near High House, before it closed.

Keeping price out of the equation, I always prefered Harris Teeter. Nice looking stores, wide variety of products, great displays, quality employees, better class of shoppers. Just an all around better shopping experience than most any other regular grocery store.
That place was my favorite Kroger, was so sad to see it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary