Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,558,664 times

Advertisements

Looks like Pleasantville. Not at all what I would call "vintage chic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 PM

66 posts, read 56,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
All you have to do is park some vintage looking bikes out front and let the marketing magic do the rest.

Ever watch any of those Mike Holmes shows? Those houses look like all of those uninteresting homes he gets called into fix in Canada where the house was built only 6-7 years prior and already has $50k worth of water damage. Must be the same builder.

Check out that one with the second story side deck -- well thought out feature, eh? Put a lawn chair out there and gawk at the lovely view of your neighbors roof for a couple of hours..

Old 05-08-2016, 02:01 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,953,843 times
I looked at the Caraleigh Commons link.

They mis-spell "cornice" as "corince" repeatedly.

They are attractive, however that narrow, vertical shape is more suited for very dense and walk-able communities like, say, Provincetown, MA. Otherwise it seems to limit your indoor and outdoor flow, and limits the uses of the tiny yard.

I would rather have connected rowhouses, giving a more consolidated patch of front or back yard, and the money not spent on the sides could be used for nicer finishes.

Those kitchens and baths could be much better laid out, and the finishes are way too cheap-looking for $350-$450k.

All of the baths should be fully tiled up the walls and the vanities should be quartz.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,622,885 times
I love the look of them...in a little seaside fishing village but not Raleigh at that price.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,916,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I looked at the Caraleigh Commons link.

They mis-spell "cornice" as "corince" repeatedly.

They are attractive, however that narrow, vertical shape is more suited for very dense and walk-able communities like, say, Provincetown, MA. Otherwise it seems to limit your indoor and outdoor flow, and limits the uses of the tiny yard.

I would rather have connected rowhouses, giving a more consolidated patch of front or back yard, and the money not spent on the sides could be used for nicer finishes.

Those kitchens and baths could be much better laid out, and the finishes are way too cheap-looking for $350-$450k.

All of the baths should be fully tiled up the walls and the vanities should be quartz.
Really good suggestions.

Rowhouses are being done so much in other southern areas... the separation creates the illusion of more exclusivity and space... I'm not mad at it. If I were in a different tax bracket, I'd be in one Or something similar to the photo of the Lenoir St. houses because they're still so novel in Raleigh although gaining steam. Brier Creek has a nice little set of vibrant row houses behind the shopping area, to. Square footage is less tho.

And yes, that price tag is ridiculous, but you know how location and marketing works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSays View Post
All you have to do is park some vintage looking bikes out front and let the marketing magic do the rest.

Ever watch any of those Mike Holmes shows? Those houses look like all of those uninteresting homes he gets called into fix in Canada where the house was built only 6-7 years prior and already has $50k worth of water damage. Must be the same builder.

Check out that one with the second story side deck -- well thought out feature, eh? Put a lawn chair out there and gawk at the lovely view of your neighbors roof for a couple of hours..
So your house is really new age, eco friendly cutting edge architecture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I love the look of them...in a little seaside fishing village but not Raleigh at that price.

this "up, not out" concept for residential is really gaining steam in downtown Raleigh and its fringes. and they're all going for 325-500k ... and they're selling.

As posted above, I'm seeing houses pop up downtown and along its fringes that are out of character... some of these developments have been in motion for sometime, but I can't help but think the contemporary homeowners' win in court in that Oakwood case helped fuel these developers to submit plans that are kinda out of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post

Not for Raleigh. Pleasantville is North Raleigh. Perhaps you've driven out there. I call it Never Never land.

Last edited by UserNamesake; 05-08-2016 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,282,481 times
I think I showed these a couple of years ago. They look like townhomes to me...just not connected.

If these are the ones I showed, Mr. Buyer really liked the fact that he could go downtown, drink and walk home. However, the areas he would have to walk by to get home were a bit sketchy. Mrs. Buyer did not like anything about the area.

They ended up in Renaissance Park. A much better choice IMO.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,931,713 times
If they are listing them at the prices they are and are selling within normal range, then they are not over priced. That is what the market says they are worth.

Anybody have the real numbers, so we can all be in the know?

Personally, if I was forced to live townhome style, which would be physically impossible, I would prefer to have a separation between walls for a little extra sound proofing.....so these homes would work better than standard connected townhomes.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:15 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,931,713 times
Shutters all the way around would help them look nicer.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:17 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,916,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think I showed these a couple of years ago. They look like townhomes to me...just not connected.

If these are the ones I showed, Mr. Buyer really liked the fact that he could go downtown, drink and walk home. However, the areas he would have to walk by to get home were a bit sketchy. Mrs. Buyer did not like anything about the area.

They ended up in Renaissance Park. A much better choice IMO.
the neighborhood and its history make it... not too "bad" of an area... Sounds like they really didn't wanna be as close to downtown for that price point. Renaissance Park's are everywhere... really cookie cutter and characterless neighborhoods, but they look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
If they are listing them at the prices they are and are selling within normal range, then they are not over priced. That is what the market says they are worth.

Anybody have the real numbers, so we can all be in the know?

Personally, if I was forced to live townhome style, which would be physically impossible, I would prefer to have a separation between walls for a little extra sound proofing.....so these homes would work better than standard connected townhomes.
I'd like to see the real numbers, too... and I agree, I'd like the separation as well.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,282,481 times
They are listed in MLS as "Not in a subdivision" so you have to look them up by Effie St. I'm not sure what the other streets are or if it was just this one street. Seems like when we spoke to the builder, they were tearing down homes on another street to build more of these homes.

Lot sizes are about .06 acre. The only one that I see that has closed was listed at $474,313, sold in 31 days. It is possible that others have closed but were not put into MLS.

My buyers and I discussed these homes versus Renaissance Park and they decided that Renn Park was a much better investment. I agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary