Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,904,755 times

Advertisements

there still seems to be a great deal of newer or recently renovated, modestly priced houses in SE Raleigh (and surrounding vicinity) with modest interest from potential buyers, while the rest of Wake is booming with hardly any properties as readily available elsewhere in the county.

What's the reason for this phenomenon? You'd think with all the competition for property in the county folks would look in that area...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 AM

26 posts, read 25,831 times
Quote:
What's the reason for this phenomenon? You'd think with all the competition for property in the county folks would look in that area...
Not sure, when my wife and I were in the market last year, we very briefly looked at Southeast Raleigh, in fact some co-workers recommended to check out Garner and Clayton area. It was far too rural for what we looking for, plus it was further away from family and other factors.

Some people love the area, we recently checked out the Johnston County Parade of Homes about a month ago and wasn't impressed. Granted, you could get a lot 9x the size of what you're paying in parts of Wake County (Cary/Apex,etc). It's all for what people are looking for ... on the flip slide, if you want a lot of land -- you're probably not going to be buying much in parts of Wake due to the lot sizes.

I also don't think the schools are nearly as good in SE Raleigh from what I recall.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

It isn't rocket science. The schools aren't quite as good, but almost more importantly its on the wrong side of town relative to where lots of people work. If you work downtown, its fine, but it seems like most professional, higher paying jobs are the vicinity of RTP. Thus the popularity of Cary and Apex.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It isn't rocket science. The schools aren't quite as good, but almost more importantly its on the wrong side of town relative to where lots of people work. If you work downtown, its fine, but it seems like most professional, higher paying jobs are the vicinity of RTP. Thus the popularity of Cary and Apex.
What he said. Also, look at the crime stats. Wherever crime is more rampant, you'll have less buyers. Like JONOV said, It isn't rocket science. I know that some people will claim it's probably a raced baced phenomenon, but I would tend to disagree for the most part. I think it has a lot more to do with schools, crime and distance to work. Western Wake is actually becoming a lot more diverse.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedCroissant View Post
Not sure, when my wife and I were in the market last year, we very briefly looked at Southeast Raleigh, in fact some co-workers recommended to check out Garner and Clayton area. It was far too rural for what we looking for, plus it was further away from family and other factors.

Some people love the area, we recently checked out the Johnston County Parade of Homes about a month ago and wasn't impressed. Granted, you could get a lot 9x the size of what you're paying in parts of Wake County (Cary/Apex,etc). It's all for what people are looking for ... on the flip slide, if you want a lot of land -- you're probably not going to be buying much in parts of Wake due to the lot sizes.

I also don't think the schools are nearly as good in SE Raleigh from what I recall.
You should try the Cleveland, 40/42 area of JoCo if you ever go back on the market ... lots of land, and the Cleveland area schools are better, and yes, the lot sizes you can get for the price are ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Doesn't wake have some measure of school choice? What about a hardship transfer?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
Actually many areas in SE Raleigh are selling quite well, and the values have definitely appreciated in the last three years. Not sure where this info is coming from but it's definitely not correct.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You should try the Cleveland, 40/42 area of JoCo if you ever go back on the market ... lots of land, and the Cleveland area schools are better, and yes, the lot sizes you can get for the price are ...
JONOV is right on the money though and essentially, was my "other" reasons. Job opportunities in proximity to the location in comparison to SE raleigh is night/day. Again, most professional, well paying opportunities are within the Western and RTP portion of the city. Also, the school grade issues is a significant one for anyone with a family or looking to start a family.

Cleveland? Eh, I have no interest in moving there.

Quote:
Doesn't wake have some measure of school choice? What about a hardship transfer?
Heh, my wife is a teacher I wouldn't really count on transfers, based on what I've seen on some parts on City Forum, it looks like some Wake County schools are denying assignments... not sure if true or not. (See thread Pulte Homes/Davis drive I believe is the title.) I'll try to find the link.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Actually many areas in SE Raleigh are selling quite well, and the values have definitely appreciated in the last three years. Not sure where this info is coming from but it's definitely not correct.
I'm sure they've appreciated ... but in comparison to other parts ... is it the same rate?

Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 AM

464 posts, read 523,648 times
Quote:
Exactly, also there is a lot of renovation going on. It has to be some sort of demand in place for that to happen.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Comparably speaking, there are tons of modestly priced homes available in the SE raleigh area and vicinity all similar zips, and only moderate interest ... trust, I'm in the throes of it as we speak. just search for yourself and compare. Of all areas of the city/county, SE Raleigh/Wake severely lagging in terms of interest and Frequency of interested buyer inquiry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary