Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:10 PM

660 posts, read 1,007,783 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying a property and working with a realtor. My realtor is great, but was out of town when a property came on the market I wanted to see -- he gave me the go ahead to contact the listing agent to view the property. The listing agent proceeded to tell me that they would only show me the property if I agreed to use them should I decide to buy it. This did not seem fair to me, so I had a realtor friend come over from Raleigh to Durham to get me in to see it -- so that I could include my agent should I decide to buy, which I did (he's worked with me for weeks and deserves a commission). When my agent got to putting the offer together, we discovered that the seller's agent was also the owner, which was never disclosed in the listing and we were unaware of until we saw the name on the offer agreement. My understanding is that this non-disclosure is not only unethical but possibly illegal and/or against standards of practice in this state. Is this correct? I ask because, overall, this particular agent has been very unprofessional all around, and I am interested in taking some action if this is possible (i.e., reporting them to the real estate board, etc).

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,425,770 times
Consult your real estate attorney. Or call the commission and ask them.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,834,342 times
You are asking some really tough questions that could massively effect a person's livelihood, so you should make sure you get your facts straight about the rules and the laws.

1) Is what they did illegal? For that you really should chat with a real estate specializing lawyer.
Getting opinions and 'horror-stories' from an open forum is not likely to answer this.

2) Is what they did unethical? Are they a member of any organization that has a Code of Ethics they may have violated?

2 minutes on Google got me: National Association of Realtors. NAR's Code of Ethics | realtor.org
Article 4: REALTORS® shall not acquire an interest in or buy or present offers from themselves, any member of their immediate families, their firms or any member thereof, or any entities in which they have any ownership interest, any real property without making their true position known to the owner or the owner’s agent or broker. In selling property they own, or in which they have any interest, REALTORS® shall reveal their ownership or interest in writing to the purchaser or the purchaser’s representative.
  • Standard of Practice 4-1: For the protection of all parties, the disclosures required by Article 4 shall be in writing and provided by REALTORS® prior to the signing of any contract.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Default Not Taking This Lightly

I was/am just looking for basic opinions on this issue since I have received conflicting information. I do not intend to sue this individual, but they have been both rude and unprofessional in multiple ways, AND if they are, in actuality, in violation of laws or codes of ethics, I feel they should be reported. Before I contact the agent's firm and board of realtors, I was looking to see whether it was even worthwhile (i.e., would it even make a difference if, in fact, rules or laws were broken). If someone is worried about their reputation or livelihood they should not act in ethically questionable ways. In most states, sellers representing their own property are required to list themselves as "agent/owner" or "agent/broker", but as I am new to NC I am unsure of the rules here. It's a simple question. I'm not looking to ruin someone's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You are asking some really tough questions that could massively effect a person's livelihood, so you should make sure you get your facts straight about the rules and the laws.

1) Is what they did illegal? For that you really should chat with a real estate specializing lawyer.
Getting opinions and 'horror-stories' from an open forum is not likely to answer this.

2) Is what they did unethical? Are they a member of any organization that has a Code of Ethics they may have violated?

2 minutes on Google got me: National Association of Realtors. NAR's Code of Ethics | realtor.org
Article 4: REALTORS® shall not acquire an interest in or buy or present offers from themselves, any member of their immediate families, their firms or any member thereof, or any entities in which they have any ownership interest, any real property without making their true position known to the owner or the owner’s agent or broker. In selling property they own, or in which they have any interest, REALTORS® shall reveal their ownership or interest in writing to the purchaser or the purchaser’s representative.
  • Standard of Practice 4-1: For the protection of all parties, the disclosures required by Article 4 shall be in writing and provided by REALTORS® prior to the signing of any contract.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Chill!

I don't have a real estate attorney per se and am waiting to hear back from the commission -- simply wanted to tap collective knowledge. Not looking for official legal advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Consult your real estate attorney. Or call the commission and ask them.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:20 PM

22,685 posts, read 36,850,940 times
You have a realtor and a realtor friend. They should be able to advise you. Opinions don't really matter.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 PM

190 posts, read 200,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

According to this document, if the contract has been signed by the seller/owner without disclosing the fact by writing before, then he or she is at fault. If no paper has been signed by the owner/seller then there is no fault according to the text. However, it the seller wrote the contract and asked you to sign it before he/she signed it, this is contentious and only a judge will figure out if at fault or not.

My advice: when you buy a real estate property the seller knows way more about the value of the property than you and your agent would ever known for a while. So, if the seller is a not somebody you can trust why not looking for another home and pass on this one. I am sure they are ton of houses for sales that match your criteria.

Just move on to the next house, do not loose your time with such kind of people.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:00 PM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I'm in the process of buying a property and working with a realtor. My realtor is great, but was out of town when a property came on the market I wanted to see -- he gave me the go ahead to contact the listing agent to view the property. The listing agent proceeded to tell me that they would only show me the property if I agreed to use them should I decide to buy it. This did not seem fair to me, so I had a realtor friend come over from Raleigh to Durham to get me in to see it -- so that I could include my agent should I decide to buy, which I did (he's worked with me for weeks and deserves a commission). When my agent got to putting the offer together, we discovered that the seller's agent was also the owner, which was never disclosed in the listing and we were unaware of until we saw the name on the offer agreement. My understanding is that this non-disclosure is not only unethical but possibly illegal and/or against standards of practice in this state. Is this correct? I ask because, overall, this particular agent has been very unprofessional all around, and I am interested in taking some action if this is possible (i.e., reporting them to the real estate board, etc).

Thanks for any help!
There are significant red flags here.
I would leave your agent and friend out of it, double check your facts, and call the Commission.

When selling a property they own, a licensed agent cannot represent a buyer. There cannot possibly be any legally-required confidentiality observed by the buyer's agent, or in dual agency, when one of the principals is also the agent.
"Brokers As Parties to Transactions. There is an inherent conflict of interest presented by a broker representing the very party against whom the broker, as an interested party, is negotiating. Paragraph (o) of Rule A.0104 prohibits a broker who is selling property in which the broker has an ownership interest from representing a buyer of the property."

Non-disclosure of ownership is not acceptable.

An aroma of a massive fishkill, last weekend.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:26 PM

514 posts, read 603,298 times
The case, as presented, does not sound great.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Thanks!

Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are significant red flags here.
I would leave your agent and friend out of it, double check your facts, and call the Commission.

When selling a property they own, a licensed agent cannot represent a buyer. There cannot possibly be any legally-required confidentiality observed by the buyer's agent, or in dual agency, when one of the principals is also the agent.
"Brokers As Parties to Transactions. There is an inherent conflict of interest presented by a broker representing the very party against whom the broker, as an interested party, is negotiating. Paragraph (o) of Rule A.0104 prohibits a broker who is selling property in which the broker has an ownership interest from representing a buyer of the property."

Non-disclosure of ownership is not acceptable.

An aroma of a massive fishkill, last weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary