Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times

Advertisements

How are people liking Raleigh who are in their mid-to-late 20's? I'm 27 and I've been to Raleigh quite a few times. The people always seemed really nice and the time I went to Glenwood Ave was a blast, but just curious how everyone enjoys everyday life, living and working in Raleigh?

I'm interested more in Raleigh inside the beltline or just outside of it. I'm not looking to live in the suburbs right now where it is normally more family-style living. Also any advice or opinions regarding being single? I know a lot of the posts revolve around couples or families on here.

I'm from the northeast and like everyone else really wants to leave. I really like the area and it seems like it has a good mix of city things to do with a town atmosphere, and close to the beach, mountains, and other cities and locations. It also appears with all the new construction downtown that is has even more potential. I'm not looking for a larger overwhelming city, something a little more laid-back is nice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
I moved to Raleigh just before I turned 27 after being born and raised in Miami. I really like it here a lot! Like you, I wanted to live inside the beltline and close to downtown. At first I settled for an apartment complex in North Raleigh because I didn't have enough time during my house hunting trip to find something decent ITB. However, now I live a block off of Glenwood South and love it. I'd love to buy something close to downtown, but the prices are definitely keeping people like me out of ownership in this area.

I am not a big partier or clubgoer, but rather prefer a nice pub, wine bar, art gallery, etc. I find there's plenty to do here, often finding myself having to choose between a few things going on during the same time frame. Downtown Raleigh is evolving into a very vibrant area, and it is exciting to be living here during its renaissance to see some of the changes taking place.

However, even coming from a high cost of living area, I am seeing the rents and cost of living increase here since I arrived, especially in the downtown vicinity, where people such as you and I really want to be. So that could be a consideration for you, since the housing market here isn't suffering like many other places, rents and housing costs will continue to rise.

I am not single, nor was I single when I moved here, so I don't have firsthand experience here. However, I have several single friends and hang out with them frequently. It seems as though there are many singles, but they also seem to be a fairly picky bunch (I've noticed this both for guys and girls). I guess most of them are looking for meaningful relationships rather than flings, or at least that is the feeling I've gotten.

Like I said, I really like living here. I'll be here two years in June, and I've made some great friends and really feel I have a much better quality of life than I did in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary