Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM
M54 M54 started this thread

6 posts, read 6,671 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating to the Triangle area due to my husband's job. I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on the Oak Park neighborhood of Raleigh. We are in our early 50s with 2 adult children who work and several dogs. Would we be a good fit there?

If you are unfamiliar with this neighborhood, do you have any suggestions where we might fit in. We want to avoid HOAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:18 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Oak Park is in a great location.
Some great homes, and some that have been let go over time. So, how they are maintained is key.
I think that almost anyone would "fit in."

IF you would consider Oak Park because you want to avoid HOAs, there are tons of neighborhoods with similar housing opportunities you might consider.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Thanks MikeJaquish. Would you be so kind as to tell me a few of the non-HOA areas we might like? I am having a little trouble with Oak Park arriving on a fair price for the homes. It is hard to get a good comparison when they go from the early 60s to the late 2000s and from 1900 sf to over 3000 sf. And, yes, we have an agent, but she is not good at anything but offering asking price. We don't want to take advantage of a seller, but we don't want to overpay, either. Especially since there is a quite a bit of updating and work to be done.

I know you said there are tons of neighborhoods, but if you could please just send me the names of a few (preferably in the north or northwest Raleigh area) I would truly appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
My best friend lives in Oak Park. They love it. At one time there was a run of break-ins...mainly on the homes that bordered on the creek. That was several years ago, and I think it was resolved.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Hi Poggly Woggly,

Thanks for the info. Where is the creek in the neighborhood. I haven't seen it and I can't find it on a map of the neighborhood, either.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:28 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times
It runs between Connell and Oak Park Dr. down in the bottom. If you turn onto Weaver off Oak Park you'll see where it runs under Weaver and runs down by the Swim Club and under Oak Park Dr. out to Crabtree Creek. Thieves were walking the creek bed and breaking into houses from the rear.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Poggly Woggly, thanks for responding. I found a map where I think I saw a little creek just outside the bottom on the neighborhood. That must be the one. I live a couple of blocks from a drug store which has been robbed for drugs a couple of times and those people always escaped down the creek in front of my house. Who knew living near creeks was such an invitation to crime? Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54 View Post
Thanks MikeJaquish. Would you be so kind as to tell me a few of the non-HOA areas we might like? I am having a little trouble with Oak Park arriving on a fair price for the homes. It is hard to get a good comparison when they go from the early 60s to the late 2000s and from 1900 sf to over 3000 sf. And, yes, we have an agent, but she is not good at anything but offering asking price. We don't want to take advantage of a seller, but we don't want to overpay, either. Especially since there is a quite a bit of updating and work to be done.

I know you said there are tons of neighborhoods, but if you could please just send me the names of a few (preferably in the north or northwest Raleigh area) I would truly appreciate it.
Tons.
Yep.
We got tons.
I just played with the MLS for Active listiings in Areas 2 and 7, and no dues, which usually means no HOA.
I floored at $175,000 and capped at $350,000, to try to be competitive with Oak Run, since you didn't mention a price range.
All of these neighborhoods have at least one Active listing as of tonight. Tomorrow? Who knows?

And, you might also consider homes that are "Not In A Subdivision." No HOA on those, for sure.

Village Grove
Cedar Hills Estates
Cedar Hills
North Clift
Falls Church
Pemberton
Fox Run
Glen Forest... Right next to Oak Run
North Ridge
North Ridge Villas
Qujail Hollow
Hedgemoor
Lyndale
Oak Forest Estates
Wood Valley
Yorkshire Downs
Raintree
Hickory Hills
Carbon Hills
Woodstone
Timberline North
Valley Estates.... A favorite N Raleigh neighborhood.
Hidden Valley. Another favorite
North Trail
Ashley Park
Hampton Oaks
Eastgate
Woodbury Estates
Stonehenge. Choose carefully
Briarwood
Summerfield North
Meredith Woods Area 1, in the Rex Hospital area.
Watch Laurel Hills, but they go fast and there are lots of teardowns for new construction.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM

Default Oak Park Neighborhood

Thanks for all this information. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I've been roasting on vacation in SC. Stopped in Raleigh to look at some homes and roasted there and then returned home and am currently roasting some more.

Would you say that $350,000 would be the top price for a totally done home in Oak Park? We are a little concerned about making an offer due to updates and repairs the house would need and don't want to price ourselves out of the neighborhood.

Thanks again, I'll be spending some serious time searching these areas. Our price range is actually a little higher, say $250,000 - $400,000 ish.

You seem like a nice man and a real asset to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tons.
Yep.
We got tons.
I just played with the MLS for Active listiings in Areas 2 and 7, and no dues, which usually means no HOA.
I floored at $175,000 and capped at $350,000, to try to be competitive with Oak Run, since you didn't mention a price range.
All of these neighborhoods have at least one Active listing as of tonight. Tomorrow? Who knows?

And, you might also consider homes that are "Not In A Subdivision." No HOA on those, for sure.

Village Grove
Cedar Hills Estates
Cedar Hills
North Clift
Falls Church
Pemberton
Fox Run
Glen Forest... Right next to Oak Run
North Ridge
North Ridge Villas
Qujail Hollow
Hedgemoor
Lyndale
Oak Forest Estates
Wood Valley
Yorkshire Downs
Raintree
Hickory Hills
Carbon Hills
Woodstone
Timberline North
Valley Estates.... A favorite N Raleigh neighborhood.
Hidden Valley. Another favorite
North Trail
Ashley Park
Hampton Oaks
Eastgate
Woodbury Estates
Briarwood
Summerfield North
Meredith Woods Area 1, in the Rex Hospital area.
Watch Laurel Hills, but they go fast and there are lots of teardowns for new construction.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 PM

166 posts, read 163,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Curious what your words of caution would be about Stonehenge? I looked at a place there, loved the house itself and location but it needed more updating than I wanted to sign up for. It was priced appropriately though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary