Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 10 days ago)

43,105 posts, read 76,681,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hey, if you don't mind sharing I'm curious what others have paid to have their water heaters replaced. I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have their unit in the attic and had it replaced there. Quote I got was $1,600. 40 gallon water heater replacement / hooked up to gas. Going to take a little extra work getting new unit in attic due to small entry so some removal of molding etc is involved.

And yes, I would totally go tankless but the price is out of my range right now and we will likely be selling in the next year or so.

And yes.... I despise having a water heater in my attic, but it is are only option right now.

Thanks!
That seems high. Did the plumber come to give the estimate, or was it over the phone?

I would expect to be in the $1200--$1300 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 AM

770 posts, read 2,748,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post
You said it was a very hard 4 hours work, then said it wasn't that difficult, sounds like you have mixed emotions about the ordeal!
Sorry, I meant to say Hard physically but not difficult technically.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,826,077 times
Quote:
Hey, if you don't mind sharing I'm curious what others have paid to have their water heaters replaced. I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have their unit in the attic and had it replaced there. Quote I got was $1,600. 40 gallon water heater replacement / hooked up to gas. Going to take a little extra work getting new unit in attic due to small entry so some removal of molding etc is involved.

And yes, I would totally go tankless but the price is out of my range right now and we will likely be selling in the next year or so.

And yes.... I despise having a water heater in my attic, but it is are only option right now.

Thanks!
I paid $2500 installed for a tankless several years ago. To me it would be WAY worth the extra $900. You might be able to get that much back out of it too when selling - tankless water heater IS an unambiguous plus for potential buyers on a property listing.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 AM

770 posts, read 2,748,868 times
Quote:

Thanks!
The same day I replaced mine, a neighbor had her 2 electric 40 gall heaters replaced ( they were located outside, so an easier fix. Took 2.5 hrs and cost $2k.

I wasn't confident about doing the job myself but all the research I did suggested it was easy. Went to Yonkers road and bought the replacement. Came home and got a hosepipe to empty the old heater, that didn't seem to work well so I ended up using a 5 gallon bucket and many trips down to the second floor bathroom. With the water and gas turned off I disconnected the gas pipe and cut the water pipes. Disconnected vent. Manhandled the old unit, strapped it to a dolly and carefully took it downstairs. I had left the new heater in its box, so I was able to carry it upstairs ( hard work but doable). Put the new heater in place, made the water connections with sharkbite fittings. Reconnected the gas fitting, turned on water and checked connections were secure, turned on gas and tested connection was gastight. Fired up boiler and everything was good.

Technically not difficult, but hard physically because of the location ( and the fact I was one person)

Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,243,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post
You said it was a very hard 4 hours work, then said it wasn't that difficult, sounds like you have mixed emotions about the ordeal!
Give him a break, it's a 'tank-less' task.

We did one several years ago, and I don't recall the amount, but it was pretty cheap. What I am reading here is "attic = expensive" due to complexity of install, and extra labor.

I would agree with the comment that the tankless system may pay itself back. That's all great, unless you don't have the money now. If it's possible, I'd consider it seriously... (Listing: "New Tankless system installed XX months ago" seems like it will have some marketability.)

Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,113,112 times
When ours died and leaked all over, I got quotes from three plumbers ranging from $1200-2500. I instead decided to watch a couple of youtube videos on how to install one yourself. After a quick trip to Lowes my son and I had a new one installed in about 2 hours for $400. Had no idea how easy it was.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:40 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,216,912 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That seems high. Did the plumber come to give the estimate, or was it over the phone?

I would expect to be in the $1200--$1300 range.
He came to the house. It's a local plumber I was referred to from a friend. May go ahead and get some more quotes. I do think having the water heater in the attic is adding to the cost. That and the fact that the entrance to the attic is too small (from what I am told) to fit the new heater through and it will take some work. I talked to some neighbors this morning and they had the same issue. Apparently the builder put the water heater up in the attic than finished putting in the walls ceiling not leaving enough space for easy replacement.

From my neighbors it sounds like the costs ranges between 1,400 and 1,600. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 10 days ago)

43,105 posts, read 76,681,954 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

He came to the house. It's a local plumber I was referred to from a friend. May go ahead and get some more quotes. I do think having the water heater in the attic is adding to the cost. That and the fact that the entrance to the attic is too small (from what I am told) to fit the new heater through and it will take some work. I talked to some neighbors this morning and they had the same issue. Apparently the builder put the water heater up in the attic than finished putting in the walls ceiling not leaving enough space for easy replacement.

From my neighbors it sounds like the costs ranges between 1,400 and 1,600. Thanks!
I think you have to have a high level of confidence as a consumer to mess with a natural gas connection.
Not that it is rocket science, but the risks are multiple and can be easy to overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: