Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Awesome title I know.

Are they called Crepe Myrtles? They're everywhere, red, pink, white, etc. Started to bloom about a month ago.

When is the best time to prune these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Yes, crepe myrtles. Don't prune them, that's crepe murder.

Stop! Don't Chop Crepe Myrtles! - Southern Living

Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, crepe myrtles. Don't prune them, that's crepe murder.

Stop! Don't Chop Crepe Myrtles! - Southern Living
You mean prune them, but don't chop them down to stumps?

The HOA chopped everything down in my development I believe in the spring. They look pretty good now.....

But yeah I'd prefer not to chop ours into that ugly state if it's not the right way.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
The only pruning ever needed is to remove extra interior branches and sucker sprouts. Keep the interior of the tree from getting too dense and from limbs crossing over each other.

But, you remove the entire individual extra branches where they come off the main trunks, not chopping the tops off the whole tree like a drunk with a chainsaw and no sense.

Once you appreciate the beauty of a properly filled out crape myrtle, the topped ones will make you queasy.
Over on Westchase Boulevard and Carter-Finley Stadium Road, at the PNC/Carter-Finley arena complex, someone affiliated with the premier agricultural university in the State of NC destroyed dozens of beautiful mature crape myrtles by hacking them down a few feet off the ground. The irony! And, they look truly grotesque.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Best time to prune these is around February. Mike J. pretty much said all you need to know. And please, just don't give it a crew cut! They will push out adventitious shoots at the base of the tree so be sure to keep them trimmed down throughout the season.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
My feeling is that you can prune them UP but not DOWN. By that I mean that you can occasionally remove some very low branches to create a more tree like form. But yes, pruning from the top down give trees a pretty odd look, especially when there is no need for size containment. Pollarding of trees is meant to yield more leafy growth at the top of the tree, but crepe myrtles look best without that.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Here's a nice pic and write up of some beautiful mature crepe myrtles, minimally pruned:
Crepe myrtles in winter: Sculptural drama | Digging

Here's what not to do:
Meet The Winners! Crepe Murder 2016 | Southern Living Blog

You really mostly don't need to prune them. A crepe myrtle is a tree. Do you prune your pine trees or your oak trees or your dogwoods or redbuds? If you see a problem area where a branch is going to rub up against another branch then by all means prune that, but you don't need to otherwise. It's a grotesque practice like topping hardwood trees, and yes people do that too.

Here's an image of a 50 yr old crepe myrtle trunk at JC Raulston Arboretum: https://lorilynnsullivan.files.wordp...ntasy_jcra.jpg
And more here: https://jcraulstonarboretum.wordpres.../crepe-myrtle/

Last edited by poppydog; 08-23-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM

Unfortunately one was planted about five feet from our house - and it doesn't appear to be the smaller variety. Something needs to be done as it's taking over the front of the house, roof, etc.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:38 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Unfortunately one was planted about five feet from our house - and it doesn't appear to be the smaller variety. Something needs to be done as it's taking over the front of the house, roof, etc.

I sit in my office and can see a butchered crape myrtle right outside the door. Every year the landscapers come through and top them.
New growth comes out, but it is very weak, and several new branches snap off every spring and litter the sidewalk.

Before I would hack one to shreds, I would consider moving it to an appropriate location to let it reach potential in beauty.
They are pretty resilient to even a fairly rough move. I had guys move one in my yard, and they only dug about 1/3 of the root ball out. It struggled just a bit, and is now well established 18 months later.
And, I have one that I moved from shade and wet to sun and dry several years ago that is doing just great.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
There's a great variety in sizes so don't worry that yours will get as big as the arboretum ones. Those are so beautiful though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary