Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've lived in St. Louis all my life and am ready to make a change by next summer. I'm a writer who needs a "real" job still which would ideally be in a university library (or any library), so the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area appeals to me. I'm also eyeballing Virginia Beach. Does anyone have any insight into the Triangle for a childless, single, 33-year-old with a scrappy dog who likes to pal around with me? How walkable is Chapel Hill? How dog-friendly? I know this is a random question, but are there sidewalks on both sides of the street? Are there other towns nearby I should be looking at? Are there partying college students everywhere you look? I realize the summers are hot and humid, but how are the other seasons? Is the summer miserable? Best restaurants? Farmer's Markets? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,058,081 times
Check Indeed.com for jobs in both areas. Better to live in the city where you'll be working.

In some areas, there are a lot of students.

Check Spotcrime and city-data for crime stats.

Summers are god-awful. Better to stay inside. Fortunately, falls and springs are pleasant, and winters are mild.

60's subdivisions often have sidewalks on only one side of the street. Older neighborhoods, sidewalks are on both. Newer subdivisions often have no sidewalks, and houses are built very close to each other.

There are good restaurants.

There is a large farmer's market in Raleigh and smaller ones around. I did this video a few years ago at that market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awq7GVTEEUM

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-27-2016 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,246,220 times
Do you have a library science degree? If not, don't think you'll find it easy to find work in a university library in this area. UNC has one of the top library science schools in the country and we have a glut of people with MLS's, so any library vacancies are usually quickly filled by someone with a Masters in Library Science.

Housing costs may be more expensive here than in St Louis. Look into it. I know sometimes posters from the Midwest complain about it costing more than they expect. Folks from the Northeast and California find housing here cheap, so it's all relative.

The Triangle is dog and writer friendly.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:21 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,519,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLockedinStL View Post
Hello everyone!

I've lived in St. Louis all my life and am ready to make a change by next summer. I'm a writer who needs a "real" job still which would ideally be in a university library (or any library), so the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area appeals to me. I'm also eyeballing Virginia Beach. Does anyone have any insight into the Triangle for a childless, single, 33-year-old with a scrappy dog who likes to pal around with me? How walkable is Chapel Hill? How dog-friendly? I know this is a random question, but are there sidewalks on both sides of the street? Are there other towns nearby I should be looking at? Are there partying college students everywhere you look? I realize the summers are hot and humid, but how are the other seasons? Is the summer miserable? Best restaurants? Farmer's Markets? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!
Sales tax in VA Beach is 10%. No universities in VA Beach. You would love Chapel Hill/Carborro. I lived in STL for 7 years. Weather is comparable, hotter in STL but more humid in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). You need to visit.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM

13,346 posts, read 26,855,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Sales tax in VA Beach is 10%. No universities in VA Beach. You would love Chapel Hill/Carborro. I lived in STL for 7 years. Weather is comparable, hotter in STL but more humid in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). You need to visit.
Ummh - Regent University is in VB, as well as branchs of several schools servicing the military.

The OP might also like Louisville, KY. Similar weather, reasonable housing prices and the U of Louisville, with great basketball.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,519,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Ummh - Regent University is in VB, as well as branchs of several schools servicing the military.

The OP might also like Louisville, KY. Similar weather, reasonable housing prices and the U of Louisville, with great basketball.
Just Raleigh alone home is home to 11 traditional universities and colleges and numerous satellite campuses plus a law school.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,324,842 times
I lived in St Louis for a few years. The summers there weren't unbearable, in my opinion. They are unbearable here! I despise the high humidity. I've lived in Florida, too. NC is worse in the summer.

However, the spring, fall and winter are great here. I personally prefer a cold winter, but most people don't seem to. But it's pretty mild here and when we get snow, it's a novelty.

And the beach is 2 hours east; the mountains are a few hours west. Except for the summer (again, my opinion only) it really is a nice place.

I agree that a masters in library science is a minimum requirement to be a "librarian." If not, there are administrative jobs at libraries. Just don't expect to get promoted to a librarian position by growing through the ranks. The masters degree people have that market to themselves.

Come visit in the summer. If you can handle this, the rest of the year will be a cake walk.

There are lots of restaurants! The state farmers market is crazy wonderful, huge and is in Raleigh. There are smaller farmers market during the season scattered all around the area.

Raleigh and Chapel Hill both have ample social opportunities for a single 33 year old. And we're very dog friendly here as well.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,474,549 times
Be aware that most public service jobs pay poorly and have lousy medical benefits.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM

7,181 posts, read 6,752,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Sales tax in VA Beach is 10%. No universities in VA Beach.
The traffic in Hampton Roads is also worse than in the Triangle, though not by much.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,395 times
Thank you to everyone for so much wonderful information! I've worked in a university library for the past 10 years and know the ropes, and am not seeking an MLS. I'm not really worried about getting a job in the same area, just a job. Sounds like there's some very desirable aspects of Chapel Hill. I'll be visiting several times over the next year and will get a good feel for the place. My move decision will be a well-informed one!

Last edited by LandLockedinStL; 08-29-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary