Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 5,931 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So quick question,

Is it safe to say that if you were issued a pistol purchase permit in Wake County, is it 100% guaranteed you'd qualify for a concealed carry permit? That's what I've been told more or less, but if that's the case, then why do they do a much more intensive background check on you? Fingerprints, FBI etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyXDM9mm View Post
Hi,

So quick question,

Is it safe to say that if you were issued a pistol purchase permit in Wake County, is it 100% guaranteed you'd qualify for a concealed carry permit? That's what I've been told more or less, but if that's the case, then why do they do a much more intensive background check on you? Fingerprints, FBI etc.
I'd never assume that.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
They don't fingerprint for a pistol permit do they? I assume that's for more than just record keeping and they run them through all the databases. Probably not going to affect you, but they do a more thorough check because it takes a few weeks to come back.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
You do have to register fingerprints for carry permit. Personally, I think this is abridgement of the right to bear arms. However; it is worth it to be legal. I have had my permit for 8 years, have disclosed to various LEO's that I was carrying and it was never an issue with any of them. You do have to disclose if you are stopped for a ticket, etc. of if you and police approach each other for any reason.

If you qualify for a purchase permit, ccw is usually no problem. Minor midemeanors are not usually an issue. Any serious criminal history is closely reviewed to be sure it is behind you.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
You do have to register fingerprints for carry permit. Personally, I think this is abridgement of the right to bear arms. However; it is worth it to be legal. I have had my permit for 8 years, have disclosed to various LEO's that I was carrying and it was never an issue with any of them. You do have to disclose if you are stopped for a ticket, etc. of if you and police approach each other for any reason.

If you qualify for a purchase permit, ccw is usually no problem. Minor midemeanors are not usually an issue. Any serious criminal history is closely reviewed to be sure it is behind you.
My issue was with the OP asking if it was safe to assume you're 100% guaranteed. Nope. You are not.

If you get a pistol permit and you don't have some really negative stuff lurking in your history and/or you don't do something really negative between the time you purchase the pistol and the time you get your CCW classes done and you file for your CCW permit, then, yeah... probably won't be a problem.

But 100% guaranteed? No. I would NEVER assume that.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My issue was with the OP asking if it was safe to assume you're 100% guaranteed. Nope. You are not.

If you get a pistol permit and you don't have some really negative stuff lurking in your history and/or you don't do something really negative between the time you purchase the pistol and the time you get your CCW classes done and you file for your CCW permit, then, yeah... probably won't be a problem.

But 100% guaranteed? No. I would NEVER assume that.
No, nothing is 100%, I didn't say that. I was saying it was generally true. Anything can stand out someties, partly depending on the person reviewing the app.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Actually, in some counties it's easier to get a CC permit because the laws are regulated by the state. Those dumb pistol purchase permits laws are not regulated by the state, but by the county.

I can't believe anyone supports keeping those stupid purchase permits except for the sheriff who makes $5-10 off issuing them.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Actually, in some counties it's easier to get a CC permit because the laws are regulated by the state. Those dumb pistol purchase permits laws are not regulated by the state, but by the county.

I can't believe anyone supports keeping those stupid purchase permits except for the sheriff who makes $5-10 off issuing them.
I couldn't agree more. They have to do an FBI background check when you purchase a pistol anyway. Pistol permits are not necessary and really borderline unconstitutional IMO.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I couldn't agree more. They have to do an FBI background check when you purchase a pistol anyway. Pistol permits are not necessary and really borderline unconstitutional IMO.
To add even more to this. Do you know why pistol purchase permits were put into place in NC?

Answer: to keep "certain people" from buying guns. Most gun control laws have very racist roots.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
To add even more to this. Do you know why pistol purchase permits were put into place in NC?

Answer: to keep "certain people" from buying guns. Most gun control laws have very racist roots.
and that worked well didn't it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary