Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:51 PM

510 posts, read 901,100 times

Advertisements

at least they make you qualify at the range with a gun. Not sure what states do and don't, but at least they do that here. When I went there was a person who couldn't hit the target and they did not issue them a certificate. They made them reschedule and they had to go back and do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 07:06 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Looks like the free states exploded the last couple years getting up to ten. Hopefully that trend continues like the CCW trend did.

Real scary times. Best move to Jersey or SoCal.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:19 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm suggesting that better training should be provided before a person is offered a license to carry a concealed weapon.

That's all. I really have no issue with people having permits.

I just wish they could handle a gun better than most of them think they can.

I know they're all "law-abiding." Until they are not.

Which is pretty much like any other branch of the law, no?
No training is provided. We have to pay for the class which includes range time and class time. The range time is only to see how proficient you are at shooting. Class time just covers the law, so essentially there is zero training. The majority of people taking the class have already handled weapons before, and if you can't shoot you wont pass the range portion.

The data shows chl holders very rarely break the laws (especially with firearms) so it seems really doesn't need to be any more "training". The data from the states with constitutional carry also show similar data. There are many places where people can take additional training in different areas of weapons handling if they want, and which I highly recommend. I just don't feel there needs to be any more hurdles in order to carry a weapon concealed. I feel there should be less. If you don't have a CHL you need to pass a background check to buy a handgun. The class provides no training so what's the point? Just silly things to collect money and make certain people feel better.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
No training is provided. We have to pay for the class which includes range time and class time. The range time is only to see how proficient you are at shooting. Class time just covers the law, so essentially there is zero training. The majority of people taking the class have already handled weapons before, and if you can't shoot you wont pass the range portion.

The data shows chl holders very rarely break the laws (especially with firearms) so it seems really doesn't need to be any more "training". The data from the states with constitutional carry also show similar data. There are many places where people can take additional training in different areas of weapons handling if they want, and which I highly recommend. I just don't feel there needs to be any more hurdles in order to carry a weapon concealed. I feel there should be less. If you don't have a CHL you need to pass a background check to buy a handgun. The class provides no training so what's the point? Just silly things to collect money and make certain people feel better.
I have had a CCW permit here in NC before. I've paid and taken the class. I've qualified.

Just because I think that training requirements should be more stringent for concealed carry, that doesn't mean I don't know anything about guns, shooting, or who might buy a gun.

In my class, there were some CRAPPY shooters. Soo... yeah. I think there should be a class that costs more, lasts longer, and teaches people how to shoot reasonably well. I also think people should have to take yearly classes to stay certified. Carrying a concealed weapon around all the time is a major responsibility. It should not be so easy to get permission to walk around with a hidden firearm all the time.

Now, I know, I know... "but criminals do it all the time!"

Does this really mean that the law-abiding citizens in our state should be held to the lowest possible standards? It's not like it's okay for people to drive drunk just because drunk drivers drive drunk.

Why should there be less? Maybe they need to improve on what they already do until it is actually useful. If people are super hot-shots who can easily pass tests, both written and shooting, they could always write in a provision to excuse them from anything but the basic recertification of skills. Make the remedial learners pay more. The state could use the money.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have had a CCW permit here in NC before. I've paid and taken the class. I've qualified.

Just because I think that training requirements should be more stringent for concealed carry, that doesn't mean I don't know anything about guns, shooting, or who might buy a gun.

In my class, there were some CRAPPY shooters. Soo... yeah. I think there should be a class that costs more, lasts longer, and teaches people how to shoot reasonably well. I also think people should have to take yearly classes to stay certified. Carrying a concealed weapon around all the time is a major responsibility. It should not be so easy to get permission to walk around with a hidden firearm all the time.

Now, I know, I know... "but criminals do it all the time!"

Does this really mean that the law-abiding citizens in our state should be held to the lowest possible standards? It's not like it's okay for people to drive drunk just because drunk drivers drive drunk.

Why should there be less? Maybe they need to improve on what they already do until it is actually useful. If people are super hot-shots who can easily pass tests, both written and shooting, they could always write in a provision to excuse them from anything but the basic recertification of skills. Make the remedial learners pay more. The state could use the money.
I really see no reason why I would need to take yearly classes. It's a waste of my time and money. My time and money is better spent at a locally owned range or gun store. There is nothing any of those classes will teach you if you need to use your firearm in self defense. You only start touching on that in very advanced classes that cost A LOT of money. Just look at police officers. There are departments across the country with hit rates below 10% and look at the training they receive. You honestly believe some yearly class will have an affect on anything?

The facts show conceal carriers are not a problem so what's in place in fine. If it aint broke don't fix it. Or just get rid of it since the classes are a joke

Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I really see no reason why I would need to take yearly classes. It's a waste of my time and money. My time and money is better spent at a locally owned range or gun store. There is nothing any of those classes will teach you if you need to use your firearm in self defense. You only start touching on that in very advanced classes that cost A LOT of money. Just look at police officers. There are departments across the country with hit rates below 10% and look at the training they receive. You honestly believe some yearly class will have an affect on anything?

The facts show conceal carriers are not a problem so what's in place in fine. If it aint broke don't fix it. Or just get rid of it since the classes are a joke
Or, keep doing it and fail the people who suck.

Where are all these stats that show me that concealed carry gun owners are not shooting people, either intentionally or accidentally?

Wasn't that mom whose kid pulled the gun out of her handbag and shot her in a store a CCW permit holder?

Maybe we need IQ tests before people are allowed to carry concealed firearms.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:12 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
While I agree with you as far as the class not being as comprehensive as it could be, NC actually has a tougher process than many states to obtain and carry a concealed weapon. Many states you don't even need to have a concealed carry permit or training in order to carry concealed and many others don't make you go through any training to obtain a concealed carry permit.
...and many people skirt the CCH requirements by completing with states which have reciprocity with NC and just completing online "training".

Old 09-06-2016, 06:17 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:

"Doris" or "Joe" can attend a CCH class and, sometimes with a little coaching, hit the target the right number of times. Unfortunately, thats not going to help them address the stressful situation when they are confronted by a street mugger or home invader. You can bet their fingers will be on the trigger and either shoot themselves or some other innocent.

The CCH class (NRA) I attended - I wouldn't want to be anywhere near 90% of the people in a situation where they were using a weapon. I was just tickled pink that I didn't get shot during the range qualification.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
The joke part is that they need an all day course, so they keep you there all day with about an hours worth of "insruction". Most are breaks and near endless anecdotes, with the rest taken by stoopid questions.

I really questioned my need for a permit, but after seeing the morons that we're getting them, there is no way I am gonna be out amongst them without a way to defend myself.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The joke part is that they need an all day course, so they keep you there all day with about an hours worth of "insruction". Most are breaks and near endless anecdotes, with the rest taken by stoopid questions.

I really questioned my need for a permit, but after seeing the morons that we're getting them, there is no way I am gonna be out amongst them without a way to defend myself.
Which is why I think they should spend a few of the dollars they are making and get an ACTUAL curriculum going with USEFUL instruction and failing those people who just suck at it and having them come back for more training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary