Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,731 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NC and would like to live in commuting distance to UNC-CH. We looked at some neighborhoods in 27713--near SouthPoint. But, weren't terribly excited (where are the sidewalks). Where are people moving to in the area these days. We visited Brightleaf. But, were surprised by the lack of stores (even just basic grocery stores) near the area. Any specific thoughts about the neighborhood below? We were hoping to stay under 350--but, that is likely impossible for the home we are looking for. Any new neighborhoods that I am not aware of????? We lived in the area about 10 years ago. But, things have changed greatly.

Fairfield
Lakehurst
Oakhurst (I think this was the name)
Southhampton
Brightleaf
Treyburn (is seems like quite a few people are selling in this area. Is there something going on here?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:32 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty_Professor View Post
Any specific thoughts about the neighborhood below? We were hoping to stay under 350--but, that is likely impossible for the home we are looking for. Any new neighborhoods that I am not aware of?????
If sidewalks are important, I suggest looking at established neighborhoods in Hillsborough. Regarding Treyburn or Treyburn Forest, they are a fairly long distance from Chapel Hill, but I would still consider them. They have a couple of SFH's in your price range which have sidewalks on one side of the street.

I am assuming you do not have children in school, since you do not mention them. There are established neighborhoods in Durham 27713 under $350K. Southampton, Wellington Forest, Grandale and Chelsea Meadows are ones with sidewalks. I am sure that a Realtor can find others. In addition, try the search engine at Redfin.com which is good for searching by neighborhood. Redfin is new with coverage of the Triangle in the last few years. You can sort houses by price range and square footage, and you can quickly flip to the streetviews.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-04-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If sidewalks are important, I suggest looking at established neighborhoods in Hillsborough. Regarding Treyburn or Treyburn Forest, they are a fairly long distance from Chapel Hill, but I would still consider them. They have a couple of SFH's in your price range which have sidewalks on one side of the street.

I am assuming you do not have children in school, since you do not mention them. There are established neighborhoods in Durham 27713 under $350K. Southampton, Wellington Forest, Grandale and Chelsea Meadows are ones with sidewalks. I am sure that a Realtor can find others. In addition, try the search engine at Redfin.com which is good for searching by neighborhood. Redfin is new with coverage of the Triangle in the last few years. You can sort houses by price range and square footage, and you can quickly flip to the streetviews.

Thanks--No kids. But, our current home is kid-friendly. I know enough of Durham that the schools are less ideal. So, given that we don't have any right now, the school issue isn't as important and gives up a bit more flexibility. But, know that we can move when kids are starting school or private. I will check on Redfin!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Thanks--No kids. But, our current home is kid-friendly. I know enough of Durham that the schools are less ideal. So, given that we don't have any right now, the school issue isn't as important and gives up a bit more flexibility. But, know that we can move when kids are starting school or private. I will check on Redfin!
I would consider that interest rates will likely be much higher down the road. Might be smart to find a place with good schools now if kids are planned in the near future..

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
For 350 and under you will have slim pickings in the Morrisville area (Or Cary very close to Morrisville area). Cotton place is in that ballpark as well as Kitt Creek and Breckenridge (both in Cary). All of those will be pushing close to your ceiling. Since you don't have kids Durham is the bargain. You can get the same house in Durham for 100k less than a comparable house in Cary or Morrisville.

With the commute to Chapel Hill in mind it seems like South Durham is the best place to look at. Jordan at Southpoint is in your price range and desired area...and has sidewalks.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:21 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Kitts Creek and Breckenridge are both in Morrisville.

You might also look at Keystone Crossing which is in Durham but has a Morrisville mailing address.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 PM

70 posts, read 77,029 times
For 350k, I'd look into the Chatham County side of Chapel Hill. There are quite a few neighborhoods going up there.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I live in Fairfield and enjoy it it is across the street from the American tobacco trail and I ride my bike many miles there safely a TON

It is also outside the city limits so no taxes but no leaf pickup

Having a standing tree canopy and a pool makes it a pretty good neighborhood

There are also many developments springing up around if you wanted new in that price range but ya know clear cut lots etc

Oh I mean really you are right there at Herndon road

There are many close by groceries / food lion Kroger target Aldi

Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 PM

117 posts, read 140,726 times
Quote:
We are moving to NC and would like to live in commuting distance to UNC-CH. We looked at some neighborhoods in 27713--near SouthPoint. But, weren't terribly excited (where are the sidewalks). Where are people moving to in the area these days. We visited Brightleaf. But, were surprised by the lack of stores (even just basic grocery stores) near the area. Any specific thoughts about the neighborhood below? We were hoping to stay under 350--but, that is likely impossible for the home we are looking for. Any new neighborhoods that I am not aware of????? We lived in the area about 10 years ago. But, things have changed greatly.

Fairfield
Lakehurst
Oakhurst (I think this was the name)
Southhampton
Brightleaf
Treyburn (is seems like quite a few people are selling in this area. Is there something going on here?)
If you were concerned by the lack of proximity of stores to Brighteaf, you may not want to think about Treyburn. There are stores up that way, but the whole thing is just so far from civilization, relative to the others on your list.

If you like Lakehust/Oakhurst/Southampton, I'd tell you to take a look at Grandale too.
Brightleaf is great within the neighborhood - it's not walkable to grocery (yet) but there are plans to have a shopping center at the entrance on 70.

Hope Valley Farms is popular and in a similar vein to those you've named. Some of the other places that people commonly recommend (like Woodcraft) are nice but also older homes. The ones you have picked out were predominantly built post-2000.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
We live in N.Durham off of Latta Road - very close to West Point on the Eno.
There are a lot of little neighborhoods in around this area. Homes are older, but well within the price range you mention, even if you buffer a little for some updates. And although we are childfree, from what I hear Easley & Riverside schools are pretty good. (Those are the ones most kids in the neighborhood & from church go to.)

Depending on where in Chapel Hill probably a good half hour commute, but I think you could use 15/501 & avoid 40 for the most part.

Not a ton of sidewalks, but in neighborhoods like ours not needed. I run & have absolutely no issues & many of the kids ride bikes, play basketball in the street etc. These smaller contained neighborhoods have a couple roads into/out of them so everyone here lives here & we know to keep an eye out when driving for people on the streets.

You would be about 10 - 20 minutes north of downtown Durham, and along Guess & N. Roxboro you'll find tons of shops (grocery, office supply, restaurants, etc).

We like this area for the quieter neighborhood feel, but yet also having everything we need within a 10 - 20 minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary