Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 04:45 PM

580 posts, read 712,992 times

Advertisements

Cary parents concerned with proposed student reassignments :: WRAL.com

I am still amazed that the board did not change MP into year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
The time has come for MP parents to pay the piper. That school has got to be filled, they aren't going to take kids from halfway across town to do it. If you move into an area with a capped school, not let it go YR (as was originally planned) and plans for schools on the drawing board....use your noggin. It's amazing how people don't plan....and how they get completely bent out of shape over stupid things.Your whole darn neighborhood is going to the new school, do you think all of a sudden you're going to end up with a crap school?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,287,691 times
"The reason I chose to move into this house is because of Mills Park (elementary school)," said Brad Hall.

Well there's your first problem.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:11 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,548,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Cary parents concerned with proposed student reassignments :: WRAL.com

I am still amazed that the board did not change MP into year round.
I think they figured they lost that battle once before when the parents voted to convert it from year round to traditional when MPMS opened.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,548,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The time has come for MP parents to pay the piper. That school has got to be filled, they aren't going to take kids from halfway across town to do it. If you move into an area with a capped school, not let it go YR (as was originally planned) and plans for schools on the drawing board....use your noggin. It's amazing how people don't plan....and how they get completely bent out of shape over stupid things.Your whole darn neighborhood is going to the new school, do you think all of a sudden you're going to end up with a crap school?
I think their point is that they can take students from other neighborhoods closer to Hortons Creek elementary (like Evans Farm which goes to Alston Ridge or Cameron Pond which goes to MPES) as opposed to splitting up Cary Park.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 AM

Mills Park parents are going to have to realize that most of the reassignments are going to come from their school...Alston Ridge isn't capped, and is so far north it's practically in Durham. There aren't a lot of options for taking kids from Alston Ridge. Why they are skipping Cameron Pond I have no idea, but no doubt people who know people are involved.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,589,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
"The reason I chose to move into this house is because of Mills Park (elementary school)," said Brad Hall.

Actually that's why many families choose one house over another. As a mom I'd pay 20k more for a house with a good base school instead of a marginal one.

That said I don't know anything about Mills Park but I do know any time there's change parents protest. If it was planned as a year round school and is now traditional I'd be pretty pissed as a parent too. It happened to us in our old house and was a big reason for selling and moving.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Actually that's why many families choose one house over another. As a mom I'd pay 20k more for a house with a good base school instead of a marginal one.

That said I don't know anything about Mills Park but I do know any time there's change parents protest. If it was planned as a year round school and is now traditional I'd be pretty pissed as a parent too. It happened to us in our old house and was a big reason for selling and moving.
The parents aren't pissed about that. They are the reason it is traditional - they balked at it when all was said and done. They also balked at having their kids in trailers. Can't have your cake and eat it too - there simply isnt anywhere to put all the kids who live out there and the parents refuse to go YR. WCPSS can't perform magic.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,778,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

That really stood out in the article for me. Not a very smart decision on this family's part, given the growth and changes in that part of the county. It's one thing for schools to be a factor in your decision, but if your primary reason for buying is one specific school given the history of reassignments, then you are a fool.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,287,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
You'd have to be willing to lose that 20k then.

We picked a town, and the part of town that we wanted to live in. Schools were a factor, but at no point did we even consider moving into the base zone of a specific school, because there is no point in reducing your housing pool for a school that you may or may not end up going to.

It's been discussed many times on here. IMO buying a house specifically for an elementary or middle school is crazy. Especially middle school which is three whopping years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary