Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times

Advertisements

WRAL is great. They give lots of time to their sportscasters. They can actually report on other things besides PRO sports. They are dedicated to their local teams and I love that. I know friends up north who said that other than going through scores for the NBA/NFL the sportscasters didn't do much and were left with 90 seconds to go through everything. Also Greg Fishel is great. He is excited about the weather, and gave me a great appreciation for NC weather and nature.

I was born here and growing up my friends hated this place. All people liked about Raleigh was that it was between the mountains and the beach. So basically it was a good place to live in if you wanted to leave it...haha. There are more things to do here now and I don't think I would like settling down anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 AM

82 posts, read 272,122 times
Can't speak for the woman on the board but imo a man should be able to adapt anywhere. Just give me my family and a reasonably safe place to live and I can make it work and be quite content. I a native NYer that has only been here for about 10 months but I am already a little tired of us northerners coming down here and complaining that things are better up North. If you don't like it, LEAVE!! Sorry, I just had to vent. That being said, I think the triangle is a great place and would not return to N.Y.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM

119 posts, read 368,154 times
SP2SCV... Where in NE did you relocate from?? Sounds a LOT like where I live now. I am so happy to hear your feedback. Our house is going on the market soon and we hope to move over the summer. Is there anything you miss about NE??? How did you choose which area of Raleigh to relocate to? Not that you miss this, but today it is 20 degrees and my yard is covered in snow...I can't wait for a better climate!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:14 AM

403 posts, read 353,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
SP2SCV... Where in NE did you relocate from?? Sounds a LOT like where I live now. I am so happy to hear your feedback. Our house is going on the market soon and we hope to move over the summer. Is there anything you miss about NE??? How did you choose which area of Raleigh to relocate to? Not that you miss this, but today it is 20 degrees and my yard is covered in snow...I can't wait for a better climate!

I lived about 40 minutes west of Worcester or "Woosta" as we used to call it. I lived near Quabbin Resevoir.

Surprisingly, there is not really anything I miss about NE. I did do a lot of work on my 2 acres I owned up there, so I miss seeing all I had accomplished, but it was wearing me out. Now that I am in NC, I have much more time to enjoy things. I am spending less time driving around to get somehwere.

It's funny how we ended up in Cary, via Durham. For years, we wanted to moved to the mid-atlantic. We always envisioned Virginia. I was ready to go at a moments notice, but had to wait on my wife to be ready. House values were going up 25% per year in MA and then we saw a house hunters show that was in this area. It peaked our interest, so we did research. We found out about this RTP thing and then we started to get excited. One day my wife woke up and said "I'm ready". We put our house on the market and then booked a flight to Durham for the first time ever. In a weekend we bought a house near The Streets at Southpoint mega mall in Durham and flew back home. Our house sold to the first buyer and we moved down at the end of 2005 WITHOUT jobs and were totally excited. We loved that area of Durham and spent the next 2 years doing a lot of research to figure out exactly where we want to be long term. We selected an area from 1 mile south of Southpoinht in Durham down to High House road in Cary. We ended up buying a townhome in Stone Creek Village in Cary, on High House road and sold our house in Durham at the end of 2007, again to the first couple that looked at it, for more money than we paid for it, which was great.
We could not be any happier than we are. Everything fell into place. We had a positive attitude about every step and it all worked out. I have to say, everyone that helped us out down here did a great job. It seems so much easier to buy and sell here, than up north. All the bankers, realtors, builders, inspectors and contractors did a great job. It was like they actually cared about us.

What town are you moving from? Are you concerned about the drop in values up north?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Default Just a side note here. . .

My daughter was born and raised in Wilmington on the NC Coast. She is a Junior, planning on transferring this summer, but last Spring Break, in April, she was checking out schools, and while most college students were flying South, she went to Boston to look at two schools.

It snowed. She says she "like to have froze" and that was it for her. She chose a school even further South than "the old north state." Too funny. I do wonder how born-and-bred Southerners fare up North. You Northerners comment quite a bit how you do not miss the winters.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 AM

SP2SCV...I live in Rutland. I spend all my time driving to anything and everything!! We have been pondering this move for 2 years and now we are all ready! As our kids are growing up, they are realizing how inconvenient everything is. Bowling, movies, restaurants, shopping...everyting is 30 minutes away! We all prefer to spend a lot of time outdoors, but NOT when it is freezing!!! So, hopefully we will be heading south soon. I am concerned about the real estate situation up here...I know we will take a loss on this house that we have been in for 3 years...but the good news is we can find a great house down there for a LOT less $$$. Out of curiosity, do you have family in MA??? How did they feel about you leaving??

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
My son is a junior in HS and so far, his interest in colleges is anything outside New England! Though quite a few of his friends seem to want to stay in the Boston area or New England in general, there are a lot of kids who leave to go south to the mid-Atlantic and South. His first pick right now happens to be my husband's alma mater though: Oregon. Second pick: Notre Dame. Third: UNC. He wants to major in architecture.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM

403 posts, read 353,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
SP2SCV...I live in Rutland. I spend all my time driving to anything and everything!! We have been pondering this move for 2 years and now we are all ready! As our kids are growing up, they are realizing how inconvenient everything is. Bowling, movies, restaurants, shopping...everyting is 30 minutes away! We all prefer to spend a lot of time outdoors, but NOT when it is freezing!!! So, hopefully we will be heading south soon. I am concerned about the real estate situation up here...I know we will take a loss on this house that we have been in for 3 years...but the good news is we can find a great house down there for a LOT less $$$. Out of curiosity, do you have family in MA??? How did they feel about you leaving??

Well, I was your neighbor. I lived in Hardwick and drove down 122, through Rutland to get to work. Yes, I have family in MA and my wife has family in MA and FL. Having family in MA is a great reason to move to NC...........LOL. Actually, they were not thrilled when we moved, but traveling to MA or to FL from NC is not a bad drive and a very quick flight. We email and talk all the time and now when they visit in NC, it is actually more fun. There is so much more to do and it is so enjoyable. When we visit back in MA, it is boring to be honest.

My advice to you is to follow your dreams & your heart. It was the greatest move we have ever made and good to know that we actually lived our dream, rather than just dreaming it. Remember the old saying, you only go around once in life. We must get the most of it. Do what you want to do. The rest will fall in place.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
That was one of the first things to strike me when I sat down my first night in NC and watched the news. They have a lot more "nice" stories on. Things like stories on art, development and helping the needy. I was not used to that, coming from MA myself. I was very happy to see some good news, instead of just all the bad things that happen.

Will you be moving down soon?
I'm glad your really enjoying yourself and everything worked out down there. I also really enjoy it down there love that it is more laid-back, especially coming from MA.

I'm in a different situation then many on this board. Most seem to be couples and moving with kids, while I'm single and in my 20's. In a lot of ways this would make my move easier. I really need a job before I come down, but I'm hoping for end of summer or fall. I would be looking at renting in Raleigh, hopefully inside the beltline. Right now I'm just finishing some small things around MA before I can get going. The only other city I've seriously considered is Austin, TX, but it is a little too far from family and friends.

I really won't miss MA, just family and some friends. I'll miss heading up to the Maine coast, but other than that there really isn't anything in New England I'll miss. I hate the cold and the state politics are terrible. Boston is fun to visit once in awhile, but I don't care that much for the city.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the encouragement!!! Now we just need to sell our house. I agree...having family in MA is a great reason to move to NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary