Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 78,019 times

Advertisements

First timer in NC in winter this year. How is the beaches-Wrightsville or Carolina? will it be too cold if temp drops to 30s in Raleigh?

Where should we go to get nice beach weather in December? we are looking to stay near the beach in a vacation rental so not looking for Miami type fun but is going south the only option weatherwise?

How about Myrtle beach? let me know some ideas for a family with kids beach vacation in Christmas time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Myrtle beach in December as a rule of thumb will be 10 degrees warmer than the triangle (day and night) Wrightville and Carolina will be similar.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:35 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillicon_brain View Post
How about Myrtle beach? let me know some ideas for a family with kids beach vacation in Christmas time.
That's a great idea, and it probably mild enough for just a light jacket. There is the big ferris wheel and an amusement park. Check what's open, but I think a lot will be open. Expect to see a lot of Canadians.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:37 PM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
If you want beach weather in December you'll need to go to south Florida. The amusement park in Myrtle Beach closes for the season on Labor day.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
If you want beach weather in December you'll need to go to south Florida.
This ^

Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Yep. Beach in NC is great in the winter, but it's nothing like the beach in NC in the summer. Temps do not vary that much from here. It's a little milder, but 5-10 degrees like Poggly said. If you want warm water and sunshine you need to go to south Florida. If you just want uncrowded beaches to walk on and don't mind if it's cold, the NC beaches are great. Like the weather here in the Triangle you may have a random beautiful day in the 70s or it may be rainy and cold. The beaches do get snow in the winter occasionally too.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:55 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
If you want beach weather in December you'll need to go to south Florida. The amusement park in Myrtle Beach closes for the season on Labor day.
Even in December Florida can be nippy. I speak from experience from visiting my wife's family in Miami. Its still way warmer than anything further north, but I struggled to get beyond knee deep in the water.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,715,503 times
You may find the water temperature at Wrightsville in December too cool for your liking. On the other hand, if you're from southern California, the ocean will feel very familiar.

Wrightsville Beach, NC Water Temperature Climatology

Personally I like the NC beaches in the off-season.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
You may find the water temperature at Wrightsville in December too cool for your liking. On the other hand, if you're from southern California, the ocean will feel very familiar.

Wrightsville Beach, NC Water Temperature Climatology

Personally I like the NC beaches in the off-season.
September through May...my favorite months at the beach. I'm there now

Old 11-03-2016, 08:10 PM

27 posts, read 78,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This ^
Any suggestion on places in south Florida? with vacation rental but not going to cost me arm and leg.
I am thinking to drive from NC so any place in the north of South :-) Florida would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary