Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2006, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 62,828 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on this community for families? What about the location? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
I have a client now who is very excited about North Ridge - one of my friends calls it "downtown North Raleigh". The location is great for commuting either to downtown or RTP, or anywhere in between. The homevalues in the neighborhood have experienced great appreciation, and they are priced from the 200s in some of the adjoining communities, and from the 300s into the millions in North Ridge itself. There is good shopping nearby, and it is less than 15 minutes to either Triangle Town Center mall or Crabtree mall.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I really like the north ridge area, definitely seeing an upswing in the home prices. There are lots of trees, various neighborhoods, convenient to most anything you would need. The homes are older, which may mean upgrading, but it all depends on the home!

Definitely look around there, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Leigh

Old 11-30-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much for the quick responses. We were in Raleigh visiting not too long ago and really liked North Ridge, but we were concerned as to whether there are kids there since we have a daughter who will be starting kindergarten next year. We drove thru a few times over the weekend, but didn't see any children (well, maybe one older child on a bike), so just wondering if that is the case in that neighborhood. I know there are plenty of newer neighborhoods with tons of kids, but we like a more established community so just wondering how North Ridge rates as far as that goes. By the way, Leigh, I picked up a copy of Carolina Parent while we were there and saw your ad in there

Old 11-30-2006, 12:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
how cute is that ad???? I know, sounds crazy, but I absolutely loved the picture of the girls!!! (they are mine by the way!!!). I get what you are saying about kids in the neighborhood, where we live now there seem to be many older kids (which helps with babysitting) and retired people. I do think that north ridge is transitioning now though. Especially with north hills and the condos there. There are lots of people moving here who want a little more land (or at least more trees) and are not scared off by older homes. I know when we were looking last year at coachman's way no home on the street had been up for sale in at least 10 years, now this year, at least half of the street has new people.

So, let me know if you have any other questions, I do think you will be fine with younger kids!

Leigh

Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 PM

Thanks Leigh. Yes, your girls are adorable!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
We strongly considered a home in this neighborhood. It had been bought by an investor and completely re-done. But like you the kid factor weighed heavily on us. Our realtor kept saying there were no kids around because it was hot (Aug). We ended up running into a realtor that was working with another couple in our hotel and talked to her about the neighborhood. She told us much of the "kid" population was of the older child (teen) variety as well as a lot of empty nesters. She said we were not seeing kids because they hang out at the club house/golf course. That just didn't work for us personally. I mean really not going to send my 8 year old DD to the country club to play with her American Girls dolls or ride her bike. So in the end we decided on elsewhere. BUT I do agree that the neighborhood is lovely. We looked at two other homes in there that had great lots but would have needed some really heavy renovation but the prices were great!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks CAKD. That is a concern of mine too. If you don't mind me asking, which neighborhood did you end up in? Is it close to the North Ridge area? Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclrose View Post
Thanks CAKD. That is a concern of mine too. If you don't mind me asking, which neighborhood did you end up in? Is it close to the North Ridge area? Thanks again.
We ended up in a new home in the Sunset Ridge community in Holly Springs. The neighborhood was the selling factor for us. Tons of kids that are always out and playing. Nice homes, wooded lots and a social neighborhood. That was something we really felt we needed for the kids sakes as well as our own. Coming across country to an area where we knew no one we wanted the integration transition part of the move to be easily attainable. We have/had heard numerous times that buying in an older more established neighborhood makes it harder to "fit in" and establish new relationships. The people living there already have been there and done that. Newer neighborhoods usually equals a group of people that have the same goals at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary