Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 AM

83 posts, read 240,947 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to cut costs and am currently paying $175 for TWC bundle (internet/cable/phone). I still need a landline because my cell doesn't have good reception in my apartment. I do watch a lot of tv since I can't afford to go out much, but I don't have any movie channels, just the premium channels right now.I don't have to get all 3 of these with the same company. Google fiber isn't in my area yet. I live in NW Raleigh. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I pay 125 total with TWC and have for 1.5 years. Two cable boxes, no DVR's. Dropping boxes and DVR's is an easy way to get the price down significantly.

You can get a booster for your cell phone which uses your internet line.

You could drop TWC altogether and use hulu, netflix, and an OTA antenna.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
What TV channels do you need? SlingTV + an antenna is a cost effective way to cut cable costs. If you have any competition for phone/internet, take advantage of it to renegotiate your costs each year or to even switch between providers to get the best pricing.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
I use TWC for internet only, have antenna, Hulu and Netflix for TV, and bought a used network expander to improve my cell signal. I spend about $80/mo.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
We have the same problem with cellphones in our home. Get Ooma for your phone. Less than $5 permonth after the initial cost of hardware (about $100). We kept TWC for internet, but bargained it down to $30/mo for the second tier plan.

Buy your own modem for TWC if you keep them. CenturyLink MIGHT be cheaper for internet only. They were in our Brier Creek area, but TWC offered better when I negotiated, saving me from switching.

As far as TV goes, there are MANY streaming/cord cutting alternatives. None were simple enough and offered DH's addiction of choice, FOX News, as well as other channels we watch frequently (CNBC, Bravo, HGTV). And we DVR 90+% of what we watch. In the end, we still have (and are very happy with) DirectTv with only Showtime. We dropped HBO since we go to to movie theater 2-3 times per week anyway, so we've already seen most of their programming. (I WILL miss "Billions"). Negotiated their price down a little, but not much flexibility with them unless I wanted to become an AT&T customer.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What TV channels do you need? SlingTV + an antenna is a cost effective way to cut cable costs. If you have any competition for phone/internet, take advantage of it to renegotiate your costs each year or to even switch between providers to get the best pricing.
AT&T just announced DirectTV Now as a streaming option - https://directvnow.com/

Ooma is a good choice for phone (over a high speed Internet connection).

Earthlink is a reseller of TWC Internet (at a lower price).

There is going to be lots of activity in this space, so don't lock into anything long term.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
AT&T just announced DirectTV Now as a streaming option - https://directvnow.com/
Channel comparison between SlingTV and DirectTV Now: https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-no...nels-compared/

Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
We use directtv and twc. Had AT&T and loved it but it doesn't serve our new home in anything faster than DSL.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
We used to have TWC for internet and Dish for TV, and Vonage for home phone. We switched to the below over time.
  • Earthlink 50/5 mb service...$34.95 (no taxes)
  • OBi device (around $40-$50 initial purchase) with Google Voice for home phone...$0.00. E911 added is $1.50/month roughly (if desired)
  • SlingTV...$21/month...although we've been signing up for service every three months under a different email and getting a new Roku 2, and then reselling on eBay (just sold one yesterday for $43). Makes the monthly service cost roughly $8/month.
  • For network cable just get a cheapie $15-$17 GE flat antenna. They work like the Mohu just cost a lot less. After initial purchase, monthly price is $0.00...
Can add Hulu or Netflix for around $10/month if desired.

Just an FYI, you probably already know this, but $175/month is around $3,000 a year at least in pre-tax income you are spending on these services. Check out Cricket (ATT) and Total Wireless (Verizon) for some awesome cell phone savings, my wife and I spend $31/month each for unlimited talk/text and 4 gb LTE data through Verizon on Total Wireless.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Channel comparison between SlingTV and DirectTV Now: https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-no...nels-compared/
Strange that showtime isn't available at all on DirectTV Now. Wonder why?

Can anybody tell me if one can use a DVR with streaming? If so, how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary