Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 4,914 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have a crawl space which is rather large about 400 square feet and about 5 feet high. I wonder if I can create a small room for my dog there. Say 20 or 30 square feet. With insulated walls he would have far more space than the crate he is now in. And heating or cooling a small area may be pretty easy especially if it is built with the right walls and floor and ceiling. There may be ways to heat or cool without using energy if it is insulated just right (so I suppose). There is already electricity down there so lighting should be pretty easy to arrange. What would be approximate cost per square foot? Would it add to the square feet of the house? what are the advantages or disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:34 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
I think an easier solution, since you only want 30 Sq ft, is to use one of those inside fence/play yard type things they sell to contain pets and small children.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:48 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Yes, it's called an x-pen and that would be a good solution. I used one for my golden retriever when I needed to leave the house and needed to contain her to a safe area of my living room where she wouldn't chew on anything like furniture. In that area she could watch TV, she had access to her doggy door and could go outside in my small fenced yard, or stay inside. Once I was home she had free run of my place. As an adult she no longer needed to be contained and had full run even when I wasn't home.

An important note: Your dog needs to be with you or near you, be able to see and hear you when you're home. It's very important for a dog's emotional well-being. So whatever solution you choose, please do not isolate your dog. (I'm not saying you do this, but I'm surprised by how many people do not understand the needs of their pets, so I'd rather err on the side of caution ).

Old 12-18-2016, 11:10 PM

Yes that is a good idea except a) it does not solve the temperature issue (It can get quite cold or hot in there) and b) my dog is a student of Houdini. Escape artist.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 PM

Yes I would only use when I have to be away and cannot take him with me. For example I cannot take him into work. So if I use a crate then it is relatively small compared to how much space he could have otherwise. If I were one of those people who would isolate a dog then why bother owning one? Agreed! In addition, if it were large enough I could get a second dog ( friend for him.)

Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Also, what types of stuff are located in your crawlspace? If your dog is an escape artist, I would plan for them escaping from whatever you construct down there and then having free reign of the crawlspace. You think chewing on furniture is bad, just wait until they get their teeth on electrical cables, plastic water pipe or a gas line to a hot water heater or furnace. With a few hours of unsupervised time and lots of boredom, there is no telling the damage they could do.

My boss built an outdoor "kennel" area with tarps as "roofs" for protection from the elements (and the acorns the squirrels would launch at his dogs.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
In your crawlspace?

No

Old 12-19-2016, 06:16 AM

Default thanks

thanks for your comments. Good insights. As I see it, it would be a "room" albeit with a lower ceiling than most rooms. The damage he has done so far is mostly entries, exits, and anything restraining: examples, doors, windows and shades and blinds, leash, and harness. But anything can happen. thank you.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Instead of investing money in this questionable idea, I'd suggest finding a good dog trainer.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Just rehome the dog if you want to keep it alone in your crawlspace. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary