Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:42 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,395 times

Advertisements

I got to our clubhouse gym using snow/ice cleats.

The way out of the community is a hill.

Some drivers couldn't make it up. They backed down and tried to get a running start.

Yes, it got them up. However, they couldn't see cross traffic and certainly couldn't stop if there was a conflict.

Hope the good luck continues until the ice melts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I got to our clubhouse gym using snow/ice cleats.

The way out of the community is a hill.

Some drivers couldn't make it up. They backed down and tried to get a running start.

Yes, it got them up. However, they couldn't see cross traffic and certainly couldn't stop if there was a conflict.

Hope the good luck continues until the ice melts.
People need to go to work, not much they can do about it.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Many employers including my government agency allowed employees to take unapproved leave if they felt that getting in would be unsafe.

This should be a state law since you can't take a train in bad weather.

If you are essential, your employer should provide a hotel room and transportation from hotel to worksite. Some hospitals do that.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yes, my wife works at WakeMed and had to go in this morning. Fortunately she made it without difficulty. People don't stop getting sick, giving birth, or having accidents. Ice events are great revenue generators for orthopedics and radiology, too.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Many employers including my government agency allowed employees to take unapproved leave if they felt that getting in would be unsafe.

If you are essential, your employer should provide a hotel room and transportation from hotel to worksite. Some hospitals do that.
Unapproved leave meaning unpaid? That doesn't help most people.

But yeah you're on the right track, blame the employers, not the employees.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,938,576 times
There will be plenty of bumper benders this morning

Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 AM

16,424 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:

Should, yes. But it's not, so many people have to go to work or risk their jobs. So the charitable thing to do would be to cut your neighbors some slack.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,105,374 times
It would be easier to traverse these conditions if other drivers on the road would be a bit more courteous. I was driving in this morning and was on 440 where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 (after the 40 exits). I was in the "fast lane" doing about 64 and another driver that was not happy with that speed, sped up behind me and proceeded to tail gate me until I moved. This is what causes accidents!

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
People have their reasons...Good reasons, bad reasons, indifferent reasons, and they don't all have to do with work (though many or most probably do.)

They have to check on Mom. They need to get to the liquor store. They have to get to work. They want to go see their Girlfriend. They're "from up North and know how to drive in the winter."

Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
I had to do exactly what you describe, "get a running start" and I'm not a stupid driver. I had to yield on my left turn to a car, and when I tried to accelerate it was hopeless. I have a 5 speed and it was a small hill so I just let my car roll back to where it was wet instead of icy and then turned in. If another car was coming I just would have kept going straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary