Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:57 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Many employers including my government agency allowed employees to take unapproved leave if they felt that getting in would be unsafe.

This should be a state law since you can't take a train in bad weather.

If you are essential, your employer should provide a hotel room and transportation from hotel to worksite. Some hospitals do that.
Yes, more laws, that's what we need. Especially ones that are unenforceable and take the police away from more important things that are going on during a state of emergency.

Let's not respond to car accidents, especially ones with injuries, or help people out when this kind of weather happens. Let's pull people over on the roads, making the police and the perp sitting ducks for people who are still driving on said roads, and have the police make the person pulled over PROVE they are an "essential worker". Make them PROVE they couldn't take a bus to work. That would be really,really great. I can't believe a legislator hasn't introduced this bill. Those politicians suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM

425 posts, read 462,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, more laws, that's what we need.
Got to agree that the logic behind these types of statements is baffling. Just what we need is a bigger, more bloated, inefficient government dictating our day to day lives. That's about as baffling as trying to picture someone strapping on ice cramp-ons to walk around neighborhood when there is a couple of inches of snow (or less) on the ground.

I took a good look at everyone on the roads this morning on my way into the office. Transplants, the whole lot of them......

Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
It would be easier to traverse these conditions if other drivers on the road would be a bit more courteous. I was driving in this morning and was on 440 where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 (after the 40 exits). I was in the "fast lane" doing about 64 and another driver that was not happy with that speed, sped up behind me and proceeded to tail gate me until I moved. This is what causes accidents!
Definitely need more courtesy, but that goes both ways. Move out of the left lane if someone is coming up on you going faster. Its the "fast lane" for a reason, so people can go faster than others in the other lanes. If you're blocking the lane and not the fastest car on the road...move over, have some courtesy yourself (which it sounds like you did, maybe the other driver could have just been more patient to give you more time to do so).

Totally get that with the weather things are different - lumps of snow in the road, tougher to get over sometimes, etc, and youre right people need to exercise more patience and courtesy, all around. It may not be immediate for someone to move over, chill out, give them a bit of time, and let them get their bearings to move over when they are comfortable, but they should move over.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, more laws, that's what we need. Especially ones that are unenforceable and take the police away from more important things that are going on during a state of emergency.

Let's not respond to car accidents, especially ones with injuries, or help people out when this kind of weather happens. Let's pull people over on the roads, making the police and the perp sitting ducks for people who are still driving on said roads, and have the police make the person pulled over PROVE they are an "essential worker". Make them PROVE they couldn't take a bus to work. That would be really,really great. I can't believe a legislator hasn't introduced this bill. Those politicians suck.
I believe the direction the OP was going with regard to the law wasn't to chase down people driving in inclement weather to prove they needed to travel, but rather a law requiring employers to allow employees to take unpaid leave in situations like this, so that people don't feel that they have to risk their lives or lose their jobs. Basically, making it illegal to fire someone for not driving in inclement weather.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
It would be easier to traverse these conditions if other drivers on the road would be a bit more courteous. I was driving in this morning and was on 440 where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 (after the 40 exits). I was in the "fast lane" doing about 64 and another driver that was not happy with that speed, sped up behind me and proceeded to tail gate me until I moved. This is what causes accidents!
Whoa now hold on there hoss. It's not the "fast lane" it's the passing lane, PASSING! if you aren't actively passing someone, get the hell out of the way or YOU will cause an accident. I've seen people switch lanes dangerously 4+ times to get around those idiotic jerks hogging the left lane. It was probably me tailgating you.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I believe the direction the OP was going with regard to the law wasn't to chase down people driving in inclement weather to prove they needed to travel, but rather a law requiring employers to allow employees to take unpaid leave in situations like this, so that people don't feel that they have to risk their lives or lose their jobs. Basically, making it illegal to fire someone for not driving in inclement weather.
Exactly. Luckily, I currently work for a company that is quick to tell employees NOT to come in during inclement weather. I've used it for the past few years, and taken a day off. I'm glad I have the option to do that. I've been "forced" at other jobs that I've had to drive on ice rinks that are normally highways and it's been a truly scary experience.

I think it's a fine idea to have a law like this. Require employers to provide the option for employees of a single day or two off (unpaid, unless employee has PTO) only after a state of emergency is declared by the Governor each year is more than fair, IMO.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
That's about as baffling as trying to picture someone strapping on ice cramp-ons to walk around neighborhood when there is a couple of inches of snow (or less) on the ground.

I am literally LOLing....maybe they are leftover from the hike on Everest?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sorry but I think the whole "come to work or you're fired" threat is entirely overblown. Unless you're the world's ****tiest employee there is very little chance of getting let go because you don't come to work when the roads are not good.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Unapproved leave meaning unpaid? That doesn't help most people.

But yeah you're on the right track, blame the employers, not the employees.
Unapproved means that you had a leave balance but did not have to get supervisor approval before taking the leave.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
What a lot of drivers are missing is that:

1. The speed limit is a guideline not to be exceeded in normal conditions
2. Weather and traffic conditions should be considered as mandating lower speeds

If I am at the speed limit and the person behind me wants to break the law, I will not help them do it by allowing them to badger me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary