Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times

Advertisements

I need increased bandwith at my home and dont think Google will be here for at least a year. ATT has fiber on my street and now I'm considering them. They dropped the packet inspection in October, and since the contract is only a year I am thinking of switching over to them. To those who have it, what are you getting over wifi? Has the service and speed been reliable? I wont be using them for TV, just fiber 1,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 AM

326 posts, read 385,080 times
I've been using it since we moved into our house last summer and have been happy. Our neighborhood has had it for a couple of years and everyone I've spoken with has been happy (after there was an initial issue that took some time to get resolved--turned out the old modem/routers were junk). I get 300-400 Mbps down and up over wifi and service has been reliable. I've never hardwired mine but some neighbors say they get >900 Mbps down and up hardwired.

I think they've changed the pricing structure since I signed up (or maybe it's just different for areas that have newly laid cable). We did not have to sign a contract for ours.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 AM

259 posts, read 243,272 times
While I don't have the service, I did consider it, since it's in my neighborhood. I decided against it mainly because of two reasons. The first is they require a contract. I general I think if you have a good product/service then you shouldn't have to lock in customers. The second issue I have is that they data caps.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I have Fiber and gigabit internet.
Internet is great.

TV delivery is not particularly reliable when recording.

I would do it again, but the Mrs. is less of a convert. I do internet. She does TV.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 AM

141 posts, read 163,233 times
I doubt you "need" increased bandwidth at your home right now. We have the 50 Mbps plan from Time Warner and it works fine for everything. The reason we're eventually switching to Google Fiber is that they charge the same price we pay for Time Warner but Google gives you more bandwidth. Wait for Google...

Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
The second issue I have is that they data caps.
There are no caps on the 1000 tier.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM

79 posts, read 142,916 times
No regrets at all. Got the Internet 300 for $50 a month ($57 w/ taxes) a couple months ago. No installation fee. It's actually cheaper than the 20Mbps service I had via Uverse before. Service has been great - I haven't had to reboot the router once. Router has both 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands which is nice as well, so you can split traffic or choose swap based on speed/distance needs. In the same room via wireless, I'll consistently get 175-215Mbps up and down. We're a family of 5 and lots of online activity - no problems at all. I can't see why I'd need the Internet 1000 for an extra $30 per month any time soon.

I can't believe I'm actually a fan of a cable company offering again. Just ask me in 10 months when the initial contract runs out, and they double the price on me. ;-) I hope by then, Google is ready to roll!

Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,497,194 times
I'm happy with the AT&T giga fiber as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I've been using it since we moved into our house last summer and have been happy. Our neighborhood has had it for a couple of years and everyone I've spoken with has been happy (after there was an initial issue that took some time to get resolved--turned out the old modem/routers were junk). I get 300-400 Mbps down and up over wifi and service has been reliable. I've never hardwired mine but some neighbors say they get >900 Mbps down and up hardwired.
Around the same for me. I'll sometimes see up to about 500mbs on wifi. Hardwired I can see 800+ at times.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 AM

195 posts, read 286,197 times
I was an early adopter of Gigapower and had issues when they were installing neighbor's lines they would inevitably cut mine. Now that all the lines are buried, I have had no issues. I will consider Google Fiber when it gets here since it supposedly uses hybrid WDM-PON which is more reliable/consistent while AT&T uses GPON. There are times when I notice the speed is reduced but generally it's plenty fast.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
While I don't have the service, I did consider it, since it's in my neighborhood. I decided against it mainly because of two reasons. The first is they require a contract. I general I think if you have a good product/service then you shouldn't have to lock in customers. The second issue I have is that they data caps.
The contract is only a year, and the etf is $150 prorated per month so it's not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
I doubt you "need" increased bandwidth at your home right now. We have the 50 Mbps plan from Time Warner and it works fine for everything. The reason we're eventually switching to Google Fiber is that they charge the same price we pay for Time Warner but Google gives you more bandwidth. Wait for Google...
That's good for you. I'm uploading 4k video to youtube, and a 2 minute video took close to an hour to upload. I'm on the 200/15 plan and the upload is garbage. Even with 200mbps down I get quite a bit of loading with 4k videos. Speedtest shows I get 200-230 almost every time too. So yes I do need more bandwith, especially upload.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will sign up and keep TW for a couple weeks in case there are issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: