Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM

24 posts, read 21,455 times

Advertisements

I've been here a few months and I just don't get it. It is not a beach town or a mountain town; both are hours away. A town on a plain ought to have wide open spaces and big skies, but it does not have that either; trees block the view of everything. There are some mud puddles you call lakes, I sure wouldn't want any drops of that stuff in my mouth. There is no culture here, just basketball, cigarette museums, and small exhibits of no-name artists. The church architecture is appalling. There is neither the grandeur of a big city nor the friendly vibe of a small town. I've been to your "Angus barn" which exemplifies this, managing to be trashy and pretentious at the same time and serving awful food. The cost of living is very high, yet the quality of life is very low. How can anyone live here?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Can you tell me a place to live with similar cost of living, similar job availability, similar number of educated people, similar weather/climate, similar traffic, similar quality of infrastructure, similar quality hospital/healthcare system, similar quality of public schools, similar amenities for children/families, and similar amenities in general?

Ready, go.

Last edited by m378; 02-05-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
No one's forcing you to stay.

I don't want to live in a mountain town or a beach town. If I did, I would have lived in the mountains or at the beach. I don't want to live on a plain ... there's a big swath in the middle of the US if that's what you're looking for. I love the trees. There's plenty of culture here for me. I don't need church architecture. I don't want to live in a big city or a small town. And last time I checked, Angus Barn isn't the only restaurant in the Triangle. In fact, I've lived here for 12 years and never been. Quality of life is perfect for me.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 02-05-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Amtrak and Delta and The Hound stand ready.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring_stranger16 View Post
I've been here a few months and I just don't get it. It is not a beach town or a mountain town; both are hours away. A town on a plain ought to have wide open spaces and big skies, but it does not have that either; trees block the view of everything. There are some mud puddles you call lakes, I sure wouldn't want any drops of that stuff in my mouth. There is no culture here, just basketball, cigarette museums, and small exhibits of no-name artists. The church architecture is appalling. There is neither the grandeur of a big city nor the friendly vibe of a small town. I've been to your "Angus barn" which exemplifies this, managing to be trashy and pretentious at the same time and serving awful food. The cost of living is very high, yet the quality of life is very low. How can anyone live here?
Easy, we eat food, sleep, work, go to schools, get married, use the restrooms, walk, talk, drive, read, swim, throw, run, love, hate, get sick, cry, laugh, and it goes on and on.... I wonder how do you live??????? Are you an alien?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM

24 posts, read 21,455 times
Trust me, I will leave immediately as soon as I find a job somewhere else. Don't let the diarrhea hit the doorknob on the way out.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring_stranger16 View Post
I think you are thinking about western plains where nothing grows. The only place I ever saw with big skies were in the desert. Trees and deep forests are common on the east coast.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Why do people troll forums?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:49 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
My wife says she hopes a lot more people leave to restore our QOL.

Especially the aggressive drivers that love to give the NJ bird to anyone staying within the speed limit.

As Mike said, no problem leaving if you feel the urge.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

As Mike said, no problem leaving if you feel the urge.
That's the best advice I've ever heard from you.

Or the best advice you're ever given yourself - one of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary