Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...215096405.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:48 AM

28 posts, read 20,577 times
So much demand as evidenced by the developments in New Hill and all along Olive Chapel....hopefully some rural aspects of Apex will remain...fingers crossed

Old 07-23-2018, 11:46 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido77 View Post
So much demand as evidenced by the developments in New Hill and all along Olive Chapel....hopefully some rural aspects of Apex will remain...fingers crossed
Lived off Olive Chapel (Woodbridge) when I was in high school (2003-2007)....mom has since downsized to a ranch that backs up to Salem Street so I hadn't been down that way in a while (like since before you had to take an "exit" to turn onto Kelly Road).

I took that "exit" a couple weeks ago to go the long-way to mom's house down Olive Chapel and legitimately got lost. The ONLY thing I recognized was the elementary school....everything else was new. Drove down Olive Chapel until it turned to Hunter Street and it was barely recognizable from the last time I'd seen it (probably 2011 or so).

Mom and stepdad RAVE about the Publix there though.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM

386 posts, read 436,132 times
my main complaint with the growth out that way is that most (all?) of the new neighborhoods are giant, clear-cut chunks of land with only the largest construction and development companies able to pony up the cash to buy these old farmlands. You can't really buy a lot and bring your own custom builder to any of these areas. Plus all the two lane roads I don't think can support all of what will eventually fill the whole Richardson Rd/Humie Olive/Olive Chapel zone.

But hey, at least we are finally getting another gas station option out that way.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:56 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
my main complaint with the growth out that way is that most (all?) of the new neighborhoods are giant, clear-cut chunks of land with only the largest construction and development companies able to pony up the cash to buy these old farmlands. You can't really buy a lot and bring your own custom builder to any of these areas. Plus all the two lane roads I don't think can support all of what will eventually fill the whole Richardson Rd/Humie Olive/Olive Chapel zone.

But hey, at least we are finally getting another gas station option out that way.
According to the Apex 2035 land use plan, Richardson Rd will be expanded from rt. 64 (currently almost open from there to Olive Chapel, all the way down to US-1 with an interchange at that location.

You're right that Richardson Rd. in its current state can not handle all the extra cars that it's dealing with now and in the future, as it's in really bad shape in a few sections. Once they start building Friendship station (which is another 1,000+ homes with retail) next to Apex Friendship high, they'll start working on expanding Richardson through that development and south to US-1. The West side of Apex has been rapidly changing over the last several years and there doesn't seem to be a slow down in sight, notwithstanding another major recession.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I took that "exit" a couple weeks ago to go the long-way to mom's house down Olive Chapel and legitimately got lost. The ONLY thing I recognized was the elementary school....everything else was new. Drove down Olive Chapel until it turned to Hunter Street and it was barely recognizable from the last time I'd seen it (probably 2011 or so).

Isn't it amazing how disorienting it can be? That's how I feel when I drive around off Green Level Church Rd....I had a freak out one night when it was dark wondering where I made a wrong turn.

My sister lives off Olive Chapel and that whole interchange down by 540 and Kelly Rd is crazy now!

Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Plus all the two lane roads I don't think can support all of what will eventually fill the whole Richardson Rd/Humie Olive/Olive Chapel zone.
If they have foresight, and can get/force develop to pony up some infrastructure improvement money, they would be wise to expand those roads NOW. Raleigh did this with Creedmor, Strickland, Lynn Rd, Falls of Neuse, Six Forks, etc. - back in the 70's and 80's when suburban developments were starting to fill up the vacant land in North Raleigh. The result (despite what naysayers will claim about Raleigh traffic) is that, apart form rush hour traffic on 440 and 540, traffic slows incredibly smoothly throughout North Raleigh. We lived in a small city prior to arriving here last October, but have driven in nearly every large metro area in the US. Driving here, for the most part, is far easier and less painful than in any other metro area I have been in. My hope for Apex, Garner, and the like, is that they do some strategic long term planning.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido77 View Post
I Find it strange how mismatched everything looks and jammed together that way.There is The Publix shopping center, the Storage Office Park off 540 then that really nice looking Office Building available for lease across from that hideous 10 house subdivision. Oh but the elementary school still has trailers which like like crap and now has a nice Gas station across the street. A joke in terms of planning.

With houseprices topping at 900k in certain areas(without trees) you would think it would have more aesthetic charm.

Enjoy the rankings Lance Olive as you have no clue on how to manage your Towns growth.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:42 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
We moved away from Raleigh four years ago; when we were looking to move from our neighborhood we looked at Apex, but what I used to find appealing about the area is now gone. There were some beautiful natural areas there and rural roads. Downtown Apex is cute but really nothing special.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:51 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
New resident of Apex here and I will admit now that I live here there's an odd sense of lack of foresight/planning by the local government. It seems like they almost rubber stamp some developments that have zero appeal to the vibe that Apex is supposed to give off.

Like those ****ty looking townhomes right off Salem Street by the water tower next to the railroad. What the hell is that crap? They basically look like walls with doors on the side of them.

They should focus some on extending the "downtown core" of Salem Street further. Get rid of that stupid vape shop across from the fire station and that other one across from the school on 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary