Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you want to do this DIY, then?
I never said I wanted to DIY. I am open to hiring someone. I am merely asking (1) what is most cost effective yet will yield good results and (2) when best to do it

Quote:
Honestly I think you've been given a bunch of reaosnable advice but it seems like you like asking the same questions over and over. I think a lot of your lawn specific questions, if not happy with the responses here, could be better asked elsewhere, maybe in the lawn and garden section of C-D, or various other web sites.
Maybe I missed the advice. I only heard a few. Kill with roundup and reseed. Or cut up and resod now.
I asked if I can I cut up and resod or reseed in the Fall instead? My point being, I don't have the time nor budget to do it now. I'd like to go to HOA and convince them waiting until Fall is reasonable and more effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I never said I wanted to DIY. I am open to hiring someone. I am merely asking (1) what is most cost effective yet will yield good results and (2) when best to do it

Maybe I missed the advice. I only heard a few. Kill with roundup and reseed. Or cut up and resod now.
I asked if I can I cut up and resod or reseed in the Fall instead? My point being, I don't have the time nor budget to do it now. I'd like to go to HOA and convince them waiting until Fall is reasonable and more effective.
It's going to be tough to convince everyone to wait 6 months on this one. It's not reasonable because it CAN be resodded tomorrow.

That'll be a tough sell.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:

Like I mentioned, look into slit seeding.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:

Your third option will not be possible, so you have to choose reseed now (bad idea) or resod now (best idea).

How many more quotes have you received since yesterday on the this time sensitive issue? You should have 6 by now. Pick one and go with it. They should come with guarantees.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
Your third option will not be possible, so you have to choose reseed now (bad idea) or resod now (best idea).

How many more quotes have you received since yesterday on the this time sensitive issue? You should have 6 by now. Pick one and go with it. They should come with guarantees.
What was my third option and why is it not possible? I am pushing back on HOA to allow me to wait until Fall, let's see what they say.

I asked for recommendations for lawn providers (seed, sod, cut up) from this group. I only have one quote so far and that was through a neighbor.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's going to be tough to convince everyone to wait 6 months on this one. It's not reasonable because it CAN be resodded tomorrow.

That'll be a tough sell.
I thought HOA was unreasonable to demand in 7 days.
Now I'm unreasonable for asking until Fall due to reasons mentioned before?
I thought HOA just wants a plan of action.
I gave one, commitment to complete by FALL.
If HOA doesn't accept, don't you think HOA is unreasonable?
Heck, they never did anything with the previous owner and can't produce any records of communciations.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I thought HOA was unreasonable to demand in 7 days.
Now I'm unreasonable for asking until Fall due to reasons mentioned before?
I thought HOA just wants a plan of action.
I gave one, commitment to complete by FALL.
If HOA doesn't accept, don't you think HOA is unreasonable?
Heck, they never did anything with the previous owner and can't produce any records of communciations.
I agree that 7 days is unreasonable. It would take that long to get quotes and/or take time off work if you planned to do it yourself. You'd then need time to do the actual work.

But, 6 months? You can build a whole house with an installed lawn in that amount of time.

The reality is that you could have gotten quotes this week and got on someone's schedule for sometime over the next 2-3 weeks (which would be a fine time to lay sod) and if you offered this info to the HOA, I'm sure they'd work with you.

The HOA doesn't have to care that you want to do it yourself and/or save up to afford it in the fall. Or that you think it would be more economical to wait until fall so you don't have to sod, but can reseed the lawn instead. What guarantee do they have, with your method, that spring would not roll around and your grass seed would come in poorly and/or full of weeds and that you'd not be as attentive to them as they'd like?

I am NOT accusing you of not tending your lawn. I am trying to look at this from an outside perspective.

Ask yourself, if you were in charge of handling this, and all you had to go on was this lawn and what was already done and how it looks now, would YOU want to wait 6 months for the homeowner to try a method other than just having sod laid (which will look pretty good immediately and will only struggle if it isn't watered properly)?

That's what is going on here. That's all. So, yeah... I would be out getting quotes and looking for the most affordable and sorting out how to cover the cost.

Maybe find a place where you can do some sort of financing? I don't know if places do that for lawn installs, but I suspect it's not impossible.

The time for you to have had some firm ground to stand on re: doing it yourself was back before you put down the seed they suggested and it came in the way it has now, unfortunately.

But, you can always ask. Never hurts to ask. Maybe they'll work with you and you can wait like you want.

ETA: The former owner, while they had the wrong type of lawn, may have at least kept it really tidy and the only issue was the wrong type of lawn, so they kept getting exceptions until they sold the house. Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What was my third option and why is it not possible? I am pushing back on HOA to allow me to wait until Fall, let's see what they say.

I asked for recommendations for lawn providers (seed, sod, cut up) from this group. I only have one quote so far and that was through a neighbor.
We use Garden Supply Company. They're not the cheapest people in the world, but they do good work. They might also have some suggestions that would allow you to avoid the sod, and give you a reputable business' plan that could be taken to your HOA for leverage to extend the deadline.

Just a thought.

I would also ask on Nextdoor, if your neighborhood doesn't have one, look for nearby neighborhoods, and see if people had recs for sod installers.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:

The bolded part is the third unrealistic option I was talking about. It is eating into your 7 day window.

You can search the Internet for dozens and dozens of sod companies. Why has that not been done at the same time questions are being asked here and communicating with the HOA?

Multitasking is the best course of action at this point.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:

I am surprised by your complaint for not receiving recs. You can easily use google to find companies and read reviews on their work. That is what I usually do when I look for a company to do any work I might need. I do think you are being unreasonable asking for a 6 month extension to get your lawn in shape. When you were first asked to take care of your lawn and you reseeded, how long ago was that? It seems that you have had plenty of time to work on your lawn and nothing much has come of it except a patchwork of grass here and there. Now your HOA is asking you to take care of the problem in a short period of time. You need to call around and find companies that can help you and find out their pricing. At that point you can inform your HOA that you will be having the lawn taken care of by XX date. I am sure they would be happy with that, but you do not seem to be moving forward and just spinning your wheels complaining about the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary