Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM

22 posts, read 30,258 times

Advertisements

We're in the market for a new king size mattress, upgrading from a queen. We've been Original Mattress Factory customers in the past, and have been happy with them, and assumed that's where we'd go. We went to check them out this weekend, and while selection was good, and the salesman working with us was great, and very knowledgeable, my husband and I could not agree on a mattress! He likes a firm mattress, I prefer firm as well, but with more of a pillow top (if that makes sense). He'd prefer to sleep on a concrete slab, I'm pretty sure. I found one I liked, and he found one he liked-- and there was one in between, which I was ok with, but he was not a fan. So, we're back in the market, it looks like.
In the past we've been able to compromise, but I fear we're headed towards having to shell out the $$$ to get a Sleep Number bed. Does anyone have one, and do you like it?

Also, if you have a regular mattress you love, where did you get it? I've bought my daughter's bed from Mattress Firm, and have been disappointed with the quality. My other daughter's bed is a simple firm twin mattress from BJ's, which is where we're considering buying a guest bedroom queen mattress from (Or Sam's, or Costco--we're members of all 3). But I'm nervous about buying a "primary" mattress there... does anyone have any first hand experience with that? Also--We do not like the memory foam type mattresses, so it would be the regular kind.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:08 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,633 times
We had the same problem. We really like the hybrid firm mattresses at Mattress Firm. Check them out. A great comprimise between pillow top and firm.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:25 PM

148 posts, read 171,061 times
Well, obviously you are right and he is wrong. I would suggest therapy to find out why he doesn't think he deserves the loving embrace of a soft pillow-top.

Assuming you are unable to convince him of this, an option is to get two twin mattresses and join them with a bed bridge (maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00438S56Q...38S56Q4974952/ ). When we upgraded from a queen to a king, we were surprised to see that the box spring was actually just two twin box springs next to each other in the frame, with a single king mattress on top, but in reality a king is the same size as two twins.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you go this route, depending on how tall your side is with its awesome pillow-top, you may need to prop his side up with some strategically-placed spacers so that the sleeping surface is at the same height to make fitted sheets and snuggling bodies fit easier.

Two warnings:
1) Do NOT let him spend a lot of time on your side - he'll quickly realize the error in his ways but he must pay for his mistake.
2) This could lead to the slippery slope of separate beds altogether.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Try looking at this site BEFORE you buy. www.sleepopolis.com

Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I purchased a Loom & Leaf online (division of Saatva) back in January. I decided that 15, 30, 60 minutes in a store lying on a bed is useless in picking out a mattress. Instead I researched thoroughly online, and purchased online. Many more choices than in this or that store. Plus, as long as there is a 120+ day trial period, IMO just as safe as buying brick & mortar.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM

22 posts, read 30,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEBeck88 View Post
Well, obviously you are right and he is wrong. I would suggest therapy to find out why he doesn't think he deserves the loving embrace of a soft pillow-top.

Assuming you are unable to convince him of this, an option is to get two twin mattresses and join them with a bed bridge (maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00438S56Q...38S56Q4974952/ ). When we upgraded from a queen to a king, we were surprised to see that the box spring was actually just two twin box springs next to each other in the frame, with a single king mattress on top, but in reality a king is the same size as two twins.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you go this route, depending on how tall your side is with its awesome pillow-top, you may need to prop his side up with some strategically-placed spacers so that the sleeping surface is at the same height to make fitted sheets and snuggling bodies fit easier.

Two warnings:
1) Do NOT let him spend a lot of time on your side - he'll quickly realize the error in his ways but he must pay for his mistake.
2) This could lead to the slippery slope of separate beds altogether.
Ha! Best answer! I already pitched the idea of getting side by side separate full size beds... only half jokingly. hehe...

Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM

286 posts, read 749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I purchased a Loom & Leaf online (division of Saatva) back in January. I decided that 15, 30, 60 minutes in a store lying on a bed is useless in picking out a mattress. Instead I researched thoroughly online, and purchased online. Many more choices than in this or that store. Plus, as long as there is a 120+ day trial period, IMO just as safe as buying brick & mortar.

I am also in search of a new mattress. Leesa was at the top of my list, but now it is the Loom & Leaf since it is one of the top recommendations for side sleepers on several of the review sites. How do you like the Loom and Leaf so far? I see the Loom & Leaf is delivered and setup, not in a box. The other thing I like is for $39 they will take away my big, heavy, king size Tempurpedic from my upstairs.....

Old 05-08-2017, 01:37 PM

168 posts, read 267,792 times
We have had a lower end model Sleep Number bed for 12 years and still love it. We both adjust our side to what we prefer and it works great...I prefer a more firm mattress but with a memory foam topper (which we replace every few years or so). The other nice thing about a sleep number is that if you end up needing to have a softer or firmer mattress for a short time (back injury or whatever reason) you can adjust temporarily and then return to your previous preference.

We did not get the top of the line bed with all the bells and whistles - frankly I really don't care what "my number" is as long as the bed is comfortable. We have moved three times since purchasing the bed and it has been so much easier to move than a tradition box springs and mattress. Also, we currently use the bed in a higher end IKEA bedframe and it works great. We simply placed the Sleep Number platform on the rails that came with the IKEA bed, we did not have to go with the IKEA "slat base" since we had the Sleep Number platform that simply slipped into the IKEA base. The Sleep Number platform comes with legs at the four corners and on the middle of each side which replaces the traditional bed frame that a box spring would sit on.

The other nice thing about a Sleep Number bed is that you can zip off the mattress "top" and launder it...I would let it air dry to avoid shrinkage or send it out to a professional laundry...so much for the "scare tactics" of having to replace your bed every 8 years or so due to mites, dust and other such grossness...short story, we still love the mattress over 12 years into it.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,951 times
The only thing worse than buying a new mattress is buying a new car. I had it with inner spring mattresses after my last one, so I did a ton of research on latex beds and ended up setting on a natural latex mattress from Ikea of all places. It's been fantastic. This is the one I bought: MORGONGĂ…VA Natural latex mattress - Queen - IKEA

Old 05-08-2017, 03:57 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
The other thing I like is for $39 they will take away my big, heavy, king size Tempurpedic from my upstairs.....
True story: I put our 4 year old king mattress on the OfferUp app for somebody to take it away for free. Within 30 minutes I had over 40 people wanting it. Some offered to come by and pick it up within half an hour. It was crazy.

I ended up giving it to the person who was the most polite and gracious in their request. Her husband picked it up that night, a hard working house painter who offered to paint a room for us for free to say thank you. (We declined, but kept his phone number in case we ever need painting again.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary