Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM

42 posts, read 177,298 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to Ciao either recently or in the past? If so, what did you think? Where I grew up, in Ohio, we had a bunch of local wineries that were a great time, had outstanding bands on Fri, Sat, Sun and were open throughout the week in the evening to stop in and grab a light meal and glass (bottle) of good vino. Just wondering if it was similar down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
I have not been to Ciao before, but I have been to Enoteca Vin in Raleigh (Glenwood South) a couple of times and highly recommend it. Don't know if they ever have music, but they have good food/wine pairings. Several options for cheese and meat plates. They'll have a wine special where you get like 5 small pours of a specific varietal (they'll usually have 2 pricing tiers). It is connected to the Carolina Wine Company store on Hillsborough Street just before it becomes Chatham Street going from Raleigh to Cary (which is where I usually buy my wine).

Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
My husband and I went to Ciao for a very quick date night once when we only had about 1 1/2 hours of childcare. It is very small and very dark, definitely too small for a band. It has a nice atmosphere for a quick drink. The food is along the lines of Italian antipasti and was tasty and light. The owner is Italian and is more than a little aloof, but we didn't mind that (reading reviews on other sites, some apparently do mind that).

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM

166 posts, read 381,339 times
We love Ciao! I spent 4 months in Rome, so it doesn't seem small and dark to me, it seems ROMAN! Its a great place for a couple or a small group. The antipasti are just right when you don't want a huge meal and they have been very generous with us. I'm looking forward to the nice weather because its one of the few places around where you can sit outside. Also, I see there is a market next door and I've been meaning to check that out.

Its one of the few places available just before or just after a movie where you can go 'quickly' and have a nice addition to your evening.

The owner was very happy-go-lucky at the beginning and then got married and had a baby in quick succession. He wanted very much to spend as much time with the baby as possible, and I think the business got somewhat in the way of that. So, I think it may just be life adjustments that you're seeing. We wish him the best of luck and want him to stay a LONG time.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I love this place. Its nice to go for a relaxed night out with close friends or a loved one. I always like to go for dessert/win and shoot the breeze with old friends.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 37,213 times
This is my favorite place for date night - the candle sconces on the wall make things very romantic. The food is delicious.

It's also a great place to hang out with friends - we usually sit at the bar then.

It is very small and there are no bands there.

Unfortunately, I think the only place you can find bands here in Cary is at the Hibernian, and they tend towards the cover band variety. However, they've always been exceptionally good bands and we've had a great time out with friends on nights where there were bands.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Connolly's Irish Pub at Davis and High House has live music on weekends too. Don't know if it is always or just sometimes.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
3 words about Ciao: WARM CHOCOLATE SURPRISE!!!
My wife have been patrons since it opened. We don't get there much because we're in N. Raleigh now and have a kid but I am dying to get back. It is small as others have mentioned, but the atmosphere is romantic inside and its a nice place to enjoy a glass or two on the patio in the summer months. The deserts are great, especially the warm chocolate surprise. This restaurant was serving this desert long before others chains were, and before you could make your own at home. It is worth the $5!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary