Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,598 times

Advertisements

Help! I'm in commuter Hell. For the past 4 1/2 years, I have commuted from Chapel Hill to Greensboro. It's an hour each way. I'm wearing out my car and spending a fortune on gas. But it's a good job in a narrow field. Anyone know of any reliable bus service to Greensboro from Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Mebane, or even Burlington? I haven't found anything that works with my work schedule. (Mainly 8-5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
Help! I'm in commuter Hell. For the past 4 1/2 years, I have commuted from Chapel Hill to Greensboro. It's an hour each way. I'm wearing out my car and spending a fortune on gas. But it's a good job in a narrow field. Anyone know of any reliable bus service to Greensboro from Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Mebane, or even Burlington? I haven't found anything that works with my work schedule. (Mainly 8-5)
Have you checked Amtrak? You could take it from Durham. (if you work near the station in Greensboro) I'm not sure what the schedule is though.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:26 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I would try to start a carpool. Look for others in the same situation.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:32 PM

I'm just west of Chapel Hill, so I'd be backtracking to Downtown Durham, but there is a stop in Burlington. I'm at UNCG, so I'd have to get there from downtown. I put out a call for carpoolers a couple of years ago, but nothing came of it. I guess I could try again.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'm just west of Chapel Hill, so I'd be backtracking to Downtown Durham, but there is a stop in Burlington. I'm at UNCG, so I'd have to get there from downtown. I put out a call for carpoolers a couple of years ago, but nothing came of it. I guess I could try again.
You can transfer for free from the train to any public transportation options in Greensboro (not familiar with but you can get transit directions in Google Maps). Just ask the conductor on the train for a transit pass. Looks like it would be the #9, #7 or #71 bus.

I agree that carpooling would be your best option. Should be tons of university pages/groups on Facebook and could send out a couple posts to see if anyone takes up your offer.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
PART runs such a bus service: Route 4 | Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation

Fare is dirt cheap for the distance ($2.50 one way.) Downside is that it seems mostly targeted at people who live in the Triad and work in the Triangle, so the schedule might not work for you. It seems the earliest it could get you there is about 10:00am and the latest you could leave is about 3:00pm.

Both PART and GoTriangle offer vanpools as well, you might inquire to see if they have any that would meed your needs.

And as other posters have mentioned, Amtrak from Durham or Burlington is an option, too.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Is there an Amtrak station in Hillsborough?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM

No Amtrak station in Hillsborough. That would be ideal. I looked into the PART but yes, the hours are wonky. I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to work around the most common work hours. I'll look into vanpools and carpooling, thanks! If my daughter wasn't happy with her school in Chapel Hill, moving to Mebane might be a possibility, but I can't see yanking her out of a good school for a commuting issue. Ah, well.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:58 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
A rail station in Hillsborough is scheduled to open in 2020.

My wife commuted Raleigh-Burlington five days a week for five years. Brutal. We never found a good alternative.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
No Amtrak station in Hillsborough. That would be ideal. I looked into the PART but yes, the hours are wonky. I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to work around the most common work hours. I'll look into vanpools and carpooling, thanks! If my daughter wasn't happy with her school in Chapel Hill, moving to Mebane might be a possibility, but I can't see yanking her out of a good school for a commuting issue. Ah, well.
Might be something to ask about: Contact Us | Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation

I think you'd need at least 5 people to start a GoTriangle Vanpool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary