Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've been here in the area for 3 1/2 years now, and I really can't quite figure out the small mounds of concrete or asphalt that exist at any number of intersections around Raleigh. Well, not always in the middle of the intersection, but often right about where the first car would sit at the intersection. They usually are not something you feel with your car, as your tires typically straddle where the deposits are situated in the lane. But they are noticeable and are usually a slightly lighter shade than the surrounding asphalt.

Here's an extended/elongated one in the northbound right lane of Edwards Mill Rd. at Duraleigh (and does go into the intersection):

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8236...7i13312!8i6656

My first guess is that these are from Concrete trucks sitting at the intersection and spilling part of their load. But it occurred to me that these trucks would also often be stopped well back behind other cars at an intersection and one would find these deposits elsewhere other than at the first position of stopping at an intersection.

Does anyone else notice these, and wonder about their source? I can't say I've ever come across them elsewhere in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
My first guess is that these are from Concrete trucks sitting at the intersection and spilling part of their load. But it occurred to me that these trucks would also often be stopped well back behind other cars at an intersection and one would find these deposits elsewhere other than at the first position of stopping at an intersection.
That's exactly what it is. It's concrete spilled from a truck that has poured a job nearby and the driver didn't do a good job washing down the chute. Just more example of what I believe is the new mentality of today's society of "I don't give a cluck". The driver of the truck leaves the line hard because it's not their truck so why should they have any concern of taking care of it and the remaining concrete in the chute slides out onto the road.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Can't say I've ever noticed one....interesting.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Funny you post this. There's one near my house and a neighbor of mine tripped on it, face planted, accidentally dropped her dog leash, and her dog went after mine (another neighbor grabbed the leash, fortunately for us!). Every time I see it I'd like it removed so someone doesn't face plant again.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I'm guessing it probably gets loose from the truck when it accelerates from sitting at the light

Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Funny you post this. There's one near my house and a neighbor of mine tripped on it, face planted, accidentally dropped her dog leash, and her dog went after mine (another neighbor grabbed the leash, fortunately for us!). Every time I see it I'd like it removed so someone doesn't face plant again.

If it's within Raleigh city limits you can get it removed with their SeeClickFix feature.

https://en.seeclickfix.com/raleigh/report

Old 07-26-2017, 09:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
If it's within Raleigh city limits you can get it removed with their SeeClickFix feature.

https://en.seeclickfix.com/raleigh/report
Oh cool - it's Durham, but I'll see if they have something similar.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
We have something similar near my house. A concrete truck made a U turn and now there is a concrete line going mostly across the lane and you have to drive over the bump every time you go down the road. Somewhat annoying...

Old 07-27-2017, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 28,070 times
They are at just about every light on the 55 Bypass in Holly Springs.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb225 View Post
They are at just about every light on the 55 Bypass in Holly Springs.
Yep and there is a concrete plant at 55 and RT1 so I bet there is a lot of trucked headed south with all the development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary