Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times

Advertisements

After living in a place for more than 3 months, I'm totally ready for a change. Too bad my pocketbook isn't! I happen to like the Highland Oaks location (more centralized compared to the ones West of NC-55). 5 houses doesn't seem high at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM

187 posts, read 803,593 times
I'm not trying to be negative. There isn't a reason for my curiosity. I am really just curious especially when you put the numbers in perspective. Cary Park has maybe 10 houses for sale per 2000 units while Highland Oaks has 5 house for sale per 90 units. The ratios are off for a new development. I am aware of the nature or our area and people move etc. Just wondering why someone would pay so much to have a house built then move after living in the house for one year. I just went through the process and it made me not want to move again. SO, again just a curious fellow resident of Cary wondering what is up with that neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
It's interesting that you use Cary Park as a point of comparison. I'd suggest that there is a much bigger inventory problem in CP than in Highland Oaks, and many of the listings at $450K or above are VERY old-I know of a few approaching a full year on the market. There are nowhere near 2000 single family homes in CP-the number is more like 750. There are less than 20 new single-family homes or undeveloped lots left in Cary Park "Proper"-I don't count Southbridge or Bellemont in that figure.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
I'm not trying to be negative. There isn't a reason for my curiosity. I am really just curious especially when you put the numbers in perspective. Cary Park has maybe 10 houses for sale per 2000 units while Highland Oaks has 5 house for sale per 90 units. The ratios are off for a new development. I am aware of the nature or our area and people move etc. Just wondering why someone would pay so much to have a house built then move after living in the house for one year. I just went through the process and it made me not want to move again. SO, again just a curious fellow resident of Cary wondering what is up with that neighborhood.
I think this has been explained pretty clearly already. Lots of career oriented people in this area. As they move up in their fields sometimes great job opportunities require them to relocate. With just a hundred or so Triangle residents on this forum I have often seen post from people moving from the area because a dream job opportunity has come up somewhere else in the US. So many people move here on job transfers it isn't a big stretch to realize it works both ways. We live in a highly mobile society. Some people put down strong roots, others move around a lot and explore.

Five homes for sale in a neighborhood says nothing to me about the neighborhood. Even if they were only built a year ago.

Plans change, people move. Happens all the time all over the Triangle and the united states. That's life!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
I'm not trying to be negative. There isn't a reason for my curiosity. I am really just curious especially when you put the numbers in perspective. Cary Park has maybe 10 houses for sale per 2000 units while Highland Oaks has 5 house for sale per 90 units. The ratios are off for a new development.
I am questioning your statistics -- I believe there are considerably more than 10 houses for sale in Cary Park and far fewer than 2000 houses in Cary Park. In this week's the Cary News (I just happened to read the article, "Westward Expansion" about 5 min ago), in the sidebar the newspaper claimed that there were approximate 2000 units in Cary Park including condos, apartments, townhouses, and single-family homes. Jumping on one of our area real estate sites show 28 single-family and 71 total units listed for sale in Cary Park.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:10 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
I live in Highland Oaks and there are currently four homes for sale plus one pending (there's one that is under contract, but still in MLS). Two of the homes are vacant (relocations) and priced about $40-$60k too high. One of those two is at $600k (after a price reduction) and it was purchased for $525 last summer. The third two story home for sale is also significantly overpriced (backs up to High House but the owners aren't compensating for the crappy lot in the price). I can't see any of the three two story houses selling anytime soon without decent price reductions. The three story house for sale is lovely and been reduced a couple of times and I expect it will sell soon. Highland Oaks is a great neighborhood with a lot of wooded lots and a nice pool. Not sure how 4 houses for sale in a neighborhood of 90 homes is that much.

ETA: The neighborhood is older than 12-18 months old. The first owners moved in 11/05 and the final homes were completed last fall.

Last edited by sls76; 04-22-2008 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times
We moved into the Highland Oaks neighborhood about a year ago and can't say anything negative - we absolutely love it! There is only one house for sale here now in the neighborhood, even with the recent economic downturn. Beautiful homes, great neighbors, awesome location. Can't beat it, and we looked at Cary Park, Preston, Cameron Pond and many other neighborhoods before settling. Anyhow, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary