Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 10,629 times

Advertisements

Never been to AZ so I couldn't possibly comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumblerr View Post
Great feedback twingles. I have heard that the population is very educated. That's reassuring. I would like to avoid private school for my daughter if possible.

With the hollowing out of good suburban jobs up here (they are all going to NYC/Hoboken/Jersey City), it is nearly impossible to get a decent job near where we live.
Yeah, it is the same on Long Island. Taxes go up, jobs go away, commute 90 minutes each way and enjoy your $12K and up taxes on your 60x100 and oh by the way those are going up every single year. And even NYC jobs are leaving.

We were up in June and the traffic on Long Island was like driving in the city, not just the volume but the gridlock, constant honking - western Nassau county has turned into Queens. Plus it cost my husband $55 to take him and the two boys on a 20 minute train ride to Citifield. It would be laughable if it were at all funny.

Trust me you'll be happy with the schools here. No union so the teachers are much more responsive - more worried about you and your kids than pleasing the union. We've had very caring teachers here and I would put kids from our schools up against kids from NY/NJ schools in a quiz bowl any day of the week.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I work in enterprise IT more details about your skills please.

Bottom line is a decent supply of jobs but competitive. You may see a salary cut. Or maybe not...

Also you may complain about public transit but it's a situation of bad to no public transit but the roads aren't totally gridlocked

Finally a lot of your neighbors are moving here especially cary/morrisville so..yeah

Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM

CIO presently, background in cloud, data/BI and security. I also advise early-stage startups both on my own (side gig) and through a couple VC advisory boards.

I figure (like here) there's not an overabundance of those types of jobs down there which is why I'm starting to put feelers out now. It will take a while to find something so just getting prepared now.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
CIO presently, background in cloud, data/BI and security. I also advise early-stage startups both on my own (side gig) and through a couple VC advisory boards.

I figure (like here) there's not an overabundance of those types of jobs down there which is why I'm starting to put feelers out now. It will take a while to find something so just getting prepared now.
Hello mr c level

Your skills look good I think you have the right idea but yeah you're fishing in a small pool. If you're flexible and your salary requirements aren't stringent I think you can find something to hold while you transition. We still hire a decent clip of out of towners landing for a job.

If would describe our market as substantively Java/.net at the enterprise level. A small but healthy startup in more modern apps. Lots of initiatives at cloud and big data technologies in the enterprise space.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Great feedback. How's the overall startup ecosystem in the area? Strongest vertical industries?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Exactly. Unless you're a millionaire, you're a second class citizen here. And the attitudes here reinforce that. I don't know what the deal is but I can't stand it much longer.

And don't get me started on the weather here. I have to believe its at least marginally better there.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:00 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Never been to AZ so I couldn't possibly comment
Looking at your list of requirements and desires, and the start up business, you really should look at scottsdale.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Great feedback. How's the overall startup ecosystem in the area?
warm and getting hotter not blazing hot

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ews/technology

We are sort of anchoring buy some big players (cisco, netapp, ibm, redhat, now metlife)

big corporate with large IT needs (siemens, that agriculture place i forget not monsanto but similar, )

the universities (duke, UNC, State)

global shops with big presence (citrix, CA, oracle is here, small google branch in chapel hill no one knows about,)

consultant IT shops

we rarely get unicorns and rarely get big fundings but lots of diversity. The only unicorn i can think of is WedPics and i mean it's not huge.

kind of weak on the splashy user facing apps.

maybe subscribe here and review the archives to get the full picture: WRAL TechWire - Real Reporting. Real Time.

Innovation disctricts in all the (3) downtowns less than 2 years olds. Really weak on the VC front..small developments...

Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OP - I think you've described scottsdale, AZ.No, I'm not being sarcastic.

I don't think they asked for 115 degree summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary