Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 AM

360 posts, read 720,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Here's an answer to the original question from the Washington Post. You can plug in your zip code.

What the Harvey deluge would look like where you live?

Says Capital Blvd would be under 10 feet of water in places.
Thanks for sharing that! My house would be under 7ft of water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Doesn't take 50 inches for that. Aforementioned Hurricane Fran dropped less than 20 inches and took out TONS of trees.

Correct, picture more trees down with 50".

Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Here's an answer to the original question from the Washington Post. You can plug in your zip code.

What the Harvey deluge would look like where you live?

Says Capital Blvd would be under 10 feet of water in places.
Party at my place then for all my C-D friends. It says my house would be in 0 feet of water. I do live on top of a hill.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yes, I'm not surprised you were able to find articles that support your argument. It's the internet after all.
The article I posted was written by Michael E Mann, a "distinguished professor of atmospheric science at Pennsylvania State University, director of the Penn State Earth System Science Center".

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378
It doesn't matter. I watched local Houston news for nearly three days, and they continually went over the various other weather events that contributed to Harvey stalling. I'm not going to pretend to be a Meteorologist and even try to explain it, but these are meteorological facts.

Whether THOSE contributing factors were caused by CC, well to me that's pure speculation. Yes the gulf waters are warmer this year than normal, but it's the fact that the storm stalled that caused so much rain.
I'm not a meteorologist or a professor of atmospheric science, either, but I think folks like that probably have a better handle on what went on with Harvey than I do. If they say that climate change contributed to the situation that set up that stall I think I'll take their "pure speculation" over your skepticism unless you have a background in climate science you're not sharing with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary