Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 AM

430 posts, read 627,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Also maybe look into a filtration system. Will probably save money and a lot of plastic for the future
And if you're concerned enough about tap water to filter it, you should probably be filtering your bottled water as well. The EPA standards for tap water are higher than the FDA standards for bottled water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:47 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,784,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Looks like hey_guy was right again

Cat 1 hurricanes and tropical storms can be kind of fun like a snow day if you're moderately prepared and can tolerate 1 or 2 days with out power

Cat 2 should be concerned

Cat 3 and up I'm scared

There is no way a hurricane can ride up from florida and maintain strength it's the one's that make a beeline straight to us that are the only concerns

Also your water doesn't run on power for most people so runs on bottled water is rarely justified

The best piece of hurricane investment equipment i can think of is a small generator to run your fridge

so I guess Jose is up next
One heck a cherry pick. At the time you said that, it appeared it would be skimming up the coast, never truly making landfall so the storm would be half over the ocean so we would take essentiall a direct hit and you said you were not concerned about power. You did not say, I don't think it will hit here, which is what it looks like might happen now.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
One heck a cherry pick. At the time you said that, it appeared it would be skimming up the coast, never truly making landfall so the storm would be half over the ocean so we would take essentiall a direct hit and you said you were not concerned about power. You did not say, I don't think it will hit here, which is what it looks like might happen now.

lol that's not true at all when i made the comment it was a charleston landfall scenario

no scenario for irma ever had it riding totally up the coast into NE

Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,979,600 times
Quote:
Also your water doesn't run on power for most people so runs on bottled water is rarely justified
Most people? There are a lot of folks around here on community water systems and private wells. From what I have heard, Aqua does not have generators at all locations.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Most people? There are a lot of folks around here on community water systems and private wells. From what I have heard, Aqua does not have generators at all locations.
Do you really want to argue that most people in the triangle aren't on city or county water

What is with the silly nitpicking

Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It's true that some well water systems including community wells may not work if the power goes out. That's why you would want to fill up your own water bottles ahead of the storm.

Definitely MOST people are on municipal water, though. I have never experienced water loss in this area during a power outage when I have been on a city water system.

If you're on well water and you know your water goes out when the power goes out you should fill some water bottles for drinking water, and maybe some 5 gallon buckets for flushing before the storm. You really don't need to go buy bottled water. If your well water is safe enough for you to drink before the storm it's safe enough for you to drink if you put it in your own bottle. Runs on bottled water are almost never justified if you use some foresight. If the storm is going to be strong enough to knock out a municipal water system like in Beaumont you would be wise to evacuate ahead of the storm if it's at all possible. If you can't get out, fill your water jugs and buckets. If you don't have them, that's something you might want to prepare for. You can just reuse plastic milk jugs. Wash 'em out with hot soapy water and they'll be fine.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,979,600 times
Quote:
Do you really want to argue that most people in the triangle aren't on city or county water
Where can I sign up for county water?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,256,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you're on well water and you know your water goes out when the power goes out you should fill some water bottles for drinking water, and maybe some 5 gallon buckets for flushing before the storm. You really don't need to go buy bottled water. If your well water is safe enough for you to drink before the storm it's safe enough for you to drink if you put it in your own bottle. Runs on bottled water are almost never justified if you use some foresight. If the storm is going to be strong enough to knock out a municipal water system like in Beaumont you would be wise to evacuate ahead of the storm if it's at all possible.
CityData won't let me give more rep to you but I agree completely. If someone has well water they really should be prepared at all times (that's why we never wanted to buy a house not on the public water/sewer line). If there is a chance of major impact then evacuation would be a better option. You might grab a small case of bottled water for the road but such panic that causes people to stock up on Costco-sized cases is unjustified.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,359,656 times
I was at the grocery store last night and there was hardly any water left. It's probably not even coming here! It's crazy. I think bottled water is the new bread and milk!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:23 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,846,374 times
This entire week or so of drama and "will she or won't she" is the biggest reason to remember why it's called "the cone of uncertainty". I mean jeez....good luck to all those places now under the gun but let's stay ready here just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary