Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And increase homelessness. Is Raleigh prepared for that?
What city is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Doesn't DC have height restrictions? It's not like they are going to be building a 1,000 ft. skyscraper next to the Capitol! I guess if they choose the district they will just level huge swaths of neighborhoods and build their urban campus, good times.

It would be interesting to see, of the 20 cities/areas left, which have truly downtown locations in their bid and available land/buildings. I mean, obviously the NOVA burbs and Maryland burbs of DC, are not downtown, I assume if they pick either location it would be near a Metro stop (Red line, Silver line, Green line, Orange line).

Maybe that's their thinking, if they can't get a prime downtown locale, like in Boston, since there's no room left, be just outside the CBD and be near a metro/heavy rail/light rail stop?
There is still enough contiguous space in DC for a campus that doesn't breach the height limit. I'm not sure height is one of Amazon's requirements. There are a few spots along the Anacostia River that can support 8 million sqft of office space.

Also, Alexandria, directly across the Potomac River, has buildings that exceed the DC height limit and an airport to boot.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-05-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
What city is?
Some more than others though. Accelerated growth could push localities beyond what they are capable of handling. Look at Seattle. Amazon started there at a slow burn rate over 20 years. Dropping 50k employees making an average of 100k over ten years, not including all of the ancillary services in an area not really conditioned to handle large displacements of lower income populations can make things worse than what Seattle is dealing with.

I know transportation is a priority for Raleigh. But I think attention needs to be paid to dealing with a soaring cost-of-living within 5 square miles of Amazon HQ2. Or Raleigh will find itself in the same situation Seattle is in. For example, teachers who used to be able to afford to live near downtown Raleigh wouldn't be able to afford it if Amazon located in the area.

Those displaced would have to move further out and thus increase commutes and traffic congestion.

And that's why many people are asking, do you really want Amazon HQ2 and all the challenges it would bring?

And we're not even considering what would happen to lower income people if Apple also located in Raleigh.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
I would safely bet the bottom dollar its coming to Virginia.

But since I can't I'll guess....

It's coming to Virginia.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,019 times
Quote:
Some more than others though. Accelerated growth could push localities beyond what they are capable of handling. Look at Seattle. Amazon started there at a slow burn rate over 20 years. Dropping 50k employees making an average of 100k over ten years, not including all of the ancillary services in an area not really conditioned to handle large displacements of lower income populations can make things worse than what Seattle is dealing with.

I know transportation is a priority for Raleigh. But I think attention needs to be paid to dealing with a soaring cost-of-living within 5 square miles of Amazon HQ2. Or Raleigh will find itself in the same situation Seattle is in. For example, teachers who used to be able to afford to live near downtown Raleigh wouldn't be able to afford it if Amazon located in the area.

Those displaced would have to move further out and thus increase commutes and traffic congestion.

And that's why many people are asking, do you really want Amazon HQ2 and all the challenges it would bring?

And we're not even considering what would happen to lower income people if Apple also located in Raleigh.
You're reaching.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:21 PM

56 posts, read 37,438 times
I wouldn't think 50K Amazon jobs are going to be filled in a year or so. It would be over several years. Absolutely, not all are 100K jobs. There will be non IT jobs as well.

While, they start with something and grow gradually, Raleigh would be able to catch up as well.
I don't think thats going to be a problem.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
You're reaching.
Not reaching at all.

Fact: The Raleigh area is growing. Is it not?

Fact: If Amazon locates in or near downtown, home prices and values will rise. No?

Fact: Affordability for those making lower wages will be faced with increasing cost-of-living. No?

Fact: Seattle was once an affordable place to live. Now it is not for those not making Amazon salaries.

Are you saying that it is a reach to suggest that Raleigh can suffer the same fate that cities on the west coast face? This includes San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Seattle becoming increasingly expensive for middle-class families?

All I'm saying is who is looking at at the impact from something this historical? Acknowledging that there will be affordable housing challenges is not reaching.

Raleigh is attractive because of its affordability. What happens when it isn't affordable anymore? OR do you think Raleigh has magic housing powers to keep market forces at bay?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
Quote:
Not reaching at all.

Fact: The Raleigh area is growing. Is it not?

Fact: If Amazon locates in or near downtown, home prices and values will rise. No?

Fact: Affordability for those making lower wages will be faced with increasing cost-of-living. No?

Fact: Seattle was once an affordable place to live. Now it is not for those not making Amazon salaries.

Are you saying that it is a reach to suggest that Raleigh can suffer the same fate that cities on the west coast face? This includes San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Seattle becoming increasingly expensive for middle-class families?

All I'm saying is who is looking at at the impact from something this historical? Acknowledging that there will be affordable housing challenges is not reaching.

Raleigh is attractive because of its affordability. What happens when it isn't affordable anymore? OR do you think Raleigh has magic housing powers to keep market forces at bay?
I’ve said it in other situations. Who cares? If people are priced out, so be it. Why should People be denied a good job so wages are kept lower?

Move to a cheaper area. WilmingTon or Goldsboro or anywhere else. In-migration fuels a lot of Raleigh’s growth. Because of Raleigh & Charlotte people can live in their state and become more than a worker at an Amazon fulfillment center

49% of folks who move to wake come from NC. Between 2011-2015, these were the top 5 counties wake drew from within NC:

1.) Durham - 10.3%
2.) Johnston - 8.9%
3.) Mecklenburg - 5.9%
4.) Pitt - 5.2%
5.) Guilford - 4.5%

Those 5 NC counties alone accounted for almost 30% of Wakes growth from new people.A lot of growth happens simply due to births.

And Raleigh won’t face nearly that level oh homelessness because there is plenty of land. The triangle has lots of land. It’s jobs are spread between Raleigh, RTP, Durham. Plenty of land if one area becomes Uber expensive.

Talk about first world problems....

Old 06-05-2018, 03:15 PM

61 posts, read 51,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’ve said it in other situations. Who cares? If people are priced out, so be it. Why should People be denied a good job so wages are kept lower?
Because there is a tipping point when your necessary personnel - teachers, police, fire, etc - can't afford to live in the city that they serve. These are people we need living and serving in our community.

There have already been stories in the RN&O/WRAL of teachers leaving the area because they can't afford to live here. One was a teacher of the year award recipient if I recall.

You have to look at the big picture.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Move to a cheaper area. WilmingTon or Goldsboro or anywhere else. In-migration fuels a lot of Raleigh’s growth. Because of Raleigh & Charlotte people can live in their state and become more than a worker at an Amazon fulfillment center

49% of folks who move to wake come from NC. Between 2011-2015, these were the top 5 counties wake drew from within NC:

1.) Durham - 10.3%
2.) Johnston - 8.9%
3.) Mecklenburg - 5.9%
4.) Pitt - 5.2%
5.) Guilford - 4.5%

Those 5 NC counties alone accounted for almost 30% of Wakes growth from new people.A lot of growth happens simply due to births.

And Raleigh won’t face nearly that level oh homelessness because there is plenty of land. The triangle has lots of land. It’s jobs are spread between Raleigh, RTP, Durham. Plenty of land if one area becomes Uber expensive.

Talk about first world problems....
Amazon alone isn't causing Seattle to be unaffordable. Geography plays a huge role in that city and many others that are bound by water, mountains and other natural barriers. You are correct that the Triangle has plenty of land on which to grow. The same is true for Charlotte, Nashville, the Triad, Richmond, etc. Amazon would, however, undoubtedly exponentially affect housing prices near the very core of Raleigh. Frankly, Raleigh is already seeing values grow more rapidly in and near downtown as the city and metro grows. However, one doesn't have to travel far to find much more affordable options in greater Raleigh. This is something that is very different than one finds in the Seattle market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary