Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:41 PM

70 posts, read 96,698 times

Advertisements

So like Crabtree is Anchored by Sears and Macy's and these are failing companies. Could Sears actually drag Crabree down with it's closure how would that work. I heard rumor about Sears planning to shut down all Sears stores in NC by Mid 2018. Then to add on to it Macy's is dying slowly and I was wondering if these 2 dying Department Stores kill Crabtree or will a Dillard's or other Department store save the day?

These not Official this was just rumor I saw on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:42 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Crabtree will not and should not die.

Macy's is much stronger than Sears, although still struggling.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
It will be interesting to see how malls fares as the popularity of online shopping continues to grow. Granted, there are some things I still would buy in-person but those things are enough to keep tons of malls afloat IMO.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:46 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
the draw will be the variety of the mall itself not the department stores

i wish malls would expand and have more variety like artist studios play gyms whatever

chapel hill mall used to be struggling but IMO is really held down by strong tenants now and none of them are lame department stores who cares about sears?! (silverspot, that gym chain )

Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 PM

70 posts, read 96,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
the draw will be the variety of the mall itself not the department stores

i wish malls would expand and have more variety like artist studios play gyms whatever

chapel hill mall used to be struggling but IMO is really held down by strong tenants now and none of them are lame department stores who cares about sears?! (silverspot, that gym chain )
I still care about Sears I only care about the rock bottom clothing I don't care about Management.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:18 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
There's always the possibility that any mall (or lifestyle center for that matter) could die.

Factors that have contributed to mall closures include, but aren't limited to:
Competing shopping centers opening or expanding*,
Changes in demographics, household income and population
Prolonged road construction
Perception of Crime,
Online Shopping

If Sears and Macy's were to close, it is up to Mall Management to find suitable replacement tenants or create more viable options to draw traffic to the mall. For a mall that has been open for almost 50 years, and isn't owned by a big mall management firm like CBL, GGP, or Simon, Crabtree has been doing a pretty good job of keeping shoppers in the mall.

It amazes me how many dead malls were vibrant just 10 or 15 years ago.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
1. my first thought was DAVID Crabtree, the WRALTV anchor.
2. yes, the Crabtree Valley Mall could/will "die".
3. eventually.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
If you ask me, Eddie Lampert is killing Sears more than anything else (including Amazon).

IMO, merging Sears with Kmart is kind of like mixing Bi-Lo with Winn-Dixie. When a fairly mediocre chain buys an abysmal one (especially if said chain was bankrupt), the results don't really come out too good

*Also to explain the asterisk in my last post, I know some on here like North Hills, but IMHO its offerings seem ancillary to those at Crabtree. I see it as more of a "supplementary" shopping center than anything.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:34 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Crabtree will not and should not die.
Crabtree will only get better

Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I tangentially know the people that own and run Crabtree. They are committed to remaining the premier mall in the area and will spend the money necessary to do so. If both sears and Macy’s went under close together that would be bad, but other area malls would feel the same pain. If only one goes, I expect they would do a deal that would secure their position. I’m sure they would also look at other options beside just anchor stores as well.

I mean, anything could happen, but they will outlast other malls in the area for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary