Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM

403 posts, read 353,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Reading your posts, I get the impression that you're another one of these types contributing to the sterile suburban sprawl engulfing so much of Wake County. When the scales begin to tip and unmanaged growth begins to choke the communities in question, is your plan to sell out, take your bundle of cash and move to the next "appealing area"?

Probably not. If my value goes high enough, there may be a thought of cashing in, however I love it here so much that is very doubtful. I live in Stone Creek Village at the corner of Davis and High House in Cary, which is being very much built up and I love it, so I don't think I would want to move away. When it is all done, I will never have to get into my car and drive anywhere. We will have all the shops, restaurants, entertainment, medical, dental and walking/biking trails right outside my front door. It is incredible and I can't wait to see and live the finished product. I really like the idea of high density multi-use development. It actually makes things easy on people and allows other areas to remain untouched and preserved for nature. This is why so many people keep moving here. I am sure there may be some negatives, but the positives FAR outweigh them. You must see SOME benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
Probably not. If my value goes high enough, there may be a thought of cashing in, however I love it here so much that is very doubtful. I live in Stone Creek Village at the corner of Davis and High House in Cary, which is being very much built up and I love it, so I don't think I would want to move away. When it is all done, I will never have to get into my car and drive anywhere. We will have all the shops, restaurants, entertainment, medical, dental and walking/biking trails right outside my front door. It is incredible and I can't wait to see and live the finished product. I really like the idea of high density multi-use development. It actually makes things easy on people and allows other areas to remain untouched and preserved for nature. This is why so many people keep moving here. I am sure there may be some negatives, but the positives FAR outweigh them. You must see SOME benefit.
Forgive me for the wrong assumption. Yes, I do see a lot of benefit to high levels of growth that don't require exponential increases in cars on the road. The type of development you describe in Cary is certainly beneficial for the area. Unfortunately, however, so much of the growth in Wake Country is suburban sprawl, where cars are required for everything.

What I don't want is for the Triangle to turn into another Atlanta or Phoenix. I would really like the Triangle to grow in such a way where each community gets to keep its identity - and grow with its identity. I'd like this area to grow into a new type of urban center that leads a more harmonious existence with the surrounding nature.

On the other side of the coin, I live in Carrboro, and I can certainly see the big downside to the highly restrictive attitude toward growth in Orange Country. I don't want Chapel Hill and Carrboro to become another Cary (if I did, I'd be living in Cary), but the negative attitude toward putting up a few more well-designed parking garages in the area is silly. Just as so much of Wake County needs a little balance, so too does Orange County.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Forgive me for the wrong assumption. Yes, I do see a lot of benefit to high levels of growth that don't require exponential increases in cars on the road. The type of development you describe in Cary is certainly beneficial for the area. Unfortunately, however, so much of the growth in Wake Country is suburban sprawl, where cars are required for everything.

What I don't want is for the Triangle to turn into another Atlanta or Phoenix. I would really like the Triangle to grow in such a way where each community gets to keep its identity - and grow with its identity. I'd like this area to grow into a new type of urban center that leads a more harmonious existence with the surrounding nature.

On the other side of the coin, I live in Carrboro, and I can certainly see the big downside to the highly restrictive attitude toward growth in Orange Country. I don't want Chapel Hill and Carrboro to become another Cary (if I did, I'd be living in Cary), but the negative attitude toward putting up a few more well-designed parking garages in the area is silly. Just as so much of Wake County needs a little balance, so too does Orange County.

I wish that more of the development was high density and for every development, another larger piece of land was preserve just for nature. In order for this area to remain attractive to live in, we need both. It sounds like you would agree with that. I have noticed that the new urban style build is hot. I think it is a great thing in so many ways, as it allows more people to move here, while not destroying as much land, however we need to add on the land preservation aspect as well.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Artist View Post
Yeah, and they're acting like it's some kind of a good thing.

Well, it's not. The idiots that run this county and the towns in and around it aren't much on the planning aspect of things.

That's why it's turning into an overcrowded, gridlocked garbage dump.
The most hilarious and untruthful statement on the board.

Garbage dump?

Could have fooled me!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
I like big cities, I like growth. The only problem is that there is good growth, defined by high density, diversity, cultural sophistication, and excitement, and there is bad growth, illustrated by low density sprawl and sterile culture. I hope Wake County works to make its growth the former.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM

28 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
The most hilarious and untruthful statement on the board.

Garbage dump?

Could have fooled me!
I believe North_Raleigh_Artist was referring to The Triangle's ever-increasing litter problem.

One would have to be blind or oblivious not to notice it.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 PM

28 posts, read 17,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I love the growth.
You won't be loving the result of the growth 20 years from now... or maybe even a decade from now.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
I have lived in cities 10 times larger than Raleigh, and loved it. Bring it!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I have lived in cities 10 times larger than Raleigh, and loved it. Bring it!
I have too (Manhattan and Los Angeles and New Orleans).

Unfortunately, Wake County will become a sprawled out pile of polluted junk with no public transportation because of the greed allowing carpetbagging NYSE builders to just keep spreading out.

Generating more road traffic and not concentrating will make the Triangle into So Calif or, even worse, NJ.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
You won't be loving the result of the growth 20 years from now... or maybe even a decade from now.

I have to disagree with you here. I have lived many different ways and I like where we are headed here more than anywhere. Back in MA, I owened a house on 2 acres and it was all country. It was nice to experience that for a while, but then you realize how bad the negatives are. When you have to drive so far for everything, it costs you money, adds traffic to the roads and destroys our environment. A lot of these issues are solved with this new urban style development we have in this area. The self contained urban style development is making it much easier for people to stay close to home, which reduces the problem of urban sprawl. This lessens costs to me, saves me valuable time and helps our environment. It's a win win and a lot of the developers realize it. Look at how many of the new developments are headed this way. Everyone can do their part by trying to purchase in this type development, rather than the McYards...................Saturnfan, that was for you. I thought you might like that way of describing big yards....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary