Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,632 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.
4 years back, I stayed in NRaleigh(Near Capital Bl) area for about 2 years before moving to Losangeles. I really hated LA initially but its kinda ok now(except for the population and price of living). My stay in Raleigh was good.
I am married with 1.5yr old. I am planning to move here and buy a home. I wanted to have an opinion from locals who have maybe moved from places like LA and their take on that. Some of things on my mind are -
1. Money. I am a software engineer and make about 120K. My estimate would be that I would be making 90K max in Raleigh/RTP. Comparable? Dont know.
2. I know its quieter and slower than major cities and I like that about Raleigh. But I wanna also make sure that I am able to provid me growing kids with enough to do activity-wise.
3. I heard the home market in Raleigh didnt go down with the Mortgage crash, but whats all is possible i maybe $250K?(Single family 3-4 BR?)
4. Health Insurance - I really hate the standard and state of health/med in LA. Its very pricey and the quality isnt that good with long wait times. I pay about 800/month for family. Hows it out there?

Appreciate your inputs in advance.

Thanks,
Vinnce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 25,207 times
Hi there,

My family and I live in NH and have been trying to get down to Raleigh for 2 years now! We've spent basically the whole time researching NC and the Raleigh area so I thought I would give you the information we've gotten so far.
1) You're probably going to make about the same comparably to what you're making now, and possibly a little less. I would recommend some online calculators for that kind of thing. Cost of living calculators they're called. I found using your info that your standard of living at 120 K would be about 80 K in NC. However this isn't the rule and keep in mind it is MUCH cheaper to live in the Raleigh area. My husband is also a programmer but he telecommutes so salary doesn't affect us. I wonder if you could keep the same job and work from home?
2) Don't worry about things for the children to do, I have a 2 year old and this was a concern for me too. There are tons of museums (art, science, life, history etc.), zoos, children's museums, beaches, parks, stores, playplaces, and so on. Some are even free! Playspace is one that we have found so look that up too. There are also some awesome schools out there, take a look at Greatschools.net
3) You will definitely get a 4 bedroom home for 250K. The homes there are beautiful and huge. Most have fireplaces, central air and garages. You'll see many with nice paint jobs, moldings, granite counter tops, stainless steal appliances and so on. It seems there that there is a trend for formal dinning rooms and bonus rooms. Coldwell Banker has the most selection for homes in that area and most are 300K or less. Also take a peek at nchomerentals.com They specialize in executive style homes for rent or rent to purchase. Gorgeous homes!!

The insurance I have no clue about. But I hope this helps you! From what we have heard the people are wonderful there, friendly and polite. Not in a rush and certainly not rude selfish people like up here in New England. Everything I have heard is that NC is a great family place.

Good luck in your search!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Try Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina - Your plan for better health for a private health quote.

Of course, company plans are usually employer subsidized and less costly.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,912 times
On the cost of living... I've found this website to be very helpful for people considering relocation to this area - Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney . This shows the cost differential for various categories and the overall salary comparison.

No kids for me, but it seems like there is TONS to do.

Check out Realtor.com and search for houses in this area in your price range and you'll see what's available. Things here tend to sell at or around their listing price - no crazy bidding above asking price.

On health care - assuming you don't get coverage through your job, you can buy an individual policy. Go on the insurance company websites and you can get a quote. Biggest carriers in NC are BCBSNC, United, and Aetna.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,632 times
Thanks everybody for the reply. I am aware of these cost of living calculators but was wondering if anybody has real experiences of comparison.

Vinnce.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
We moved here from New Orleans in 1989 after living in NJ and CA as well as Manhattan.

Income tax is on the high side. Food tax was reduced to 2%. Property tax is good but rising. You pay property tax annually on your car.

Car insurance and renters is a good value,

Rents and home prices are good but being driven up by yuppies paying too much.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
Health insurance in NJ for family of 3= $12,500 ANNUAL ($1050 per month

Health insurance in NC for family of 3--$3,300 ANNUAL (@$310.00 per month)

Same Blue Cross Policy...just a different state/address

Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM

191 posts, read 276,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Health insurance in NJ for family of 3= $12,500 ANNUAL ($1050 per month

Health insurance in NC for family of 3--$3,300 ANNUAL (@$310.00 per month)

Same Blue Cross Policy...just a different state/address
Huh? I happen to have my own small consulting firm and have group policy w/ BCBS-NC and for family of 3--$1,322 mo = $15,864.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,924 times
Nomad99s figures appear to be correct for BCBS. Strangely my cost of family health insurance from my company will double moving from NJ to NC!!! I just wonder if the NC company is not negotiating their rates better...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
There are tons of Software Engineers in the area and the salaries cover a wide range. There are definitely guys that are making $120K+ in the area if you have the right skills/experience, are a top performer, and work for the right company. It really helps that there are California-based companies with sites here. Those companies are much more likely to pay higher salaries because it is still lower than San Jose.

Unless you are a contractor, these companies will provide good health benefits. The health insurance here is generally much better than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary