Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've noticed several questions posted about autistic services in the schools here. My experience was only as a regular ed teacher, but I remember having excellent support for my students with IEPs - the special ed teachers had the resources they needed to make sure the students and teachers and parents stayed connected and working toward the student's goals. However, I wasn't sure specifically what services were in place for autistic kids, so I decided to ask around. I was volunteering at my old school today, and I spoke with the counselor about what steps you should take when moving here with a student that needs special ed services:

For Wake County, all schools have excellent support for mainstreamed autistic students, or any students with IEPs or 504 plans. You can call special ed services in Wake County at (919) 850-1600 to get specifics about a school.

If your child needs separate setting instruction (not in a mainstream classroom), this is not offered at every school. My school had one, and of course the county provided transportation for the students. The hardship was for the parents of kids who were transported in, sometimes quite a distance from their homes, when they needed to be at the school for something. She recomended calling the above number to find out what schools provide separate setting instruction if that is a service you need so that you can live closer to the school.

Her experience with Johnston County (Clayton) services was very positive - again, call the county special ed services department to find out what services are offered at each school, but the quality of service is on par with Wake.

Hope this reaches everyone needing help, and anyone with firsthand experience in special ed services, please chime in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM

68 posts, read 346,085 times
Question Autistic Services for Adults?

l Hi NCHomeFinder:

Do you know anything about day programs for adults with autism?
I'm considering possible relocation to the Raleigh Metro area and need
to reseach services for my 29 year-old son with autism.

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Viki-NYC

Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 AM

I called the Autism Society of NC, headquartered in Raleigh, to find out more:
http://www.autismsociety-nc.org/
505 Oberlin Rd # 230, Raleigh, 27605 - (919) 743-0204

For Day programs, the suggested you call Wake County Human Services, but the two main day programs are
Wake Enterprise, (919) 834-9022
Raleigh Vocational Center, (919) 231-3325

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Smile Day Programs for Autistic Adults

Hi NCHomefinder:

Thanks so much for your help.

I'll definitely check into these programs.

Thanks again...
Viki-NYC

Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM

You're quite welcome, Viki! If there's anything else you need, you can pm or email me. Or just post!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Day Programs for Autistic Adults

NCHomeFinder

Will do..

Thanks again,
Viki-NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary