Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 13,431 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to NC, possibly to Wake County, b/c of a private school for children with autism in Cary. I have a 10 year old son who is autistic and pretty involved. He currently receives all his therapies that he gets paid for by the school district. I am not happy with the school but am happy with what he receives after school. Right now we live on Long Island and the cost of living and housing is out of control! We moved back here 6 years ago from FL to be closer to family and b/c of what the public school system provides here. Unfortunately, my husband has not been successful at finding a job that pays what we need in order to survive on Long Island. He left a very good job in FL (he was in law enforcement) and has been struggling to find something here for the past 3 years. We feel like we have a perpectual black cloud hovering over us with a string of bad luck that never seems to end.
We have heard some nice things about NC as far as affordability and nice areas. I'm having a hard time finding out information on what kind of services the schools provide for children with autism. My son is a beautiful, happy guy but has many needs that require people that know there thing. He has alot of potential if only given the opportunity.
It is a very hard thing moving to an area with many unknowns. It is even harder making the move when you have a child who has special needs.
If anyone knows of any info or any direction in which to seek out information I would really appreciate it.
The internet is a very useful tool in finding out information before you head out somewhere, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 07:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
HI!

I don't have any personal experience with the wake county schools, but the teacch program at unc might be an excellent resource for you. their website is:
http://www.teacch.com/

Hopefully they can give you some valuable information. I have a niece who is both austistic and MR and my aunt moved from california to virginia and it was a definite transition for them. They were used to the services in cali and had to adjust to virginia.

Best of luck to you
Leigh

Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 AM

42 posts, read 273,906 times
My son is 12 years old, has high-functioning Autism and we are in the process of transitioning him to middle school (today is day 3). We have also just started parent sessions at TEAACH and I can also vouch that they have wonderful services (though a good-sized waiting list) available!

As far as the schools go, we have been very lucky in that he has had wonderful teachers who have been more than willing to work with us and help him succeed. I think one key point is parent involvement. I am in contact with my son's teachers almost daily and make it an effort to provide them with information about my son (and Autism in general, especially if they are his regular ed. teachers) to make their jobs, as well as my son's experience, easier. The squeaky wheel does get the grease, though I try my best to be squeaky in a nice/good way. I think that, as long as his teachers know that they have your support and assistance, you will find that they will go out of their way to help him (at least much more often than not).

Also check out the Autism Society of NC website (sorry don't have the link) or the Wake County Autism Society site!

Best of Luck!!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 AM

66 posts, read 129,399 times
Our 5 year old son has autism, and is non verbal. The teachers we have had in Wake County Pre K and now K have been awesome. He has made tremendous improvement.
But, do not expect to get the same additional services here like you have in NY. We had to fight to get him more speech therapy, up to 1x/week from 1x/month. He only gets OT 2x/quarter. The rest we pay for private services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary