Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

527 posts, read 686,817 times

Advertisements

I am an avid runner and spent a good chunk of time at Lake Johnson, around both sides of the lake. But I'm nervous after the discovery of the body a few weeks ago, and another one a few months back from that. I know that's the nature of state parks and land, things can happen, but I can't shake the creepy feeling. I'm so so sorry for the families of the two men that were found.

I suppose I'm just really curious about the circumstances surrounding this discovery. I literally live a stone's throw away, and besides an initial statement that there was no threat to the public, we haven't heard much of anything else. It's a good reminder to always remain vigilant and never zone out on a run.

Lake Johnson body found dead, recovered by Raleigh NC police | News & Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
The other body recovered was from a drowning and the recent incident was from 2:20 AM (hours when you shouldn't really be out at these places anyways). There was a story a few months ago where a teenage girl was involved in a car crash and fled the scene with head injuries and was found dead a few days later. Possibly could be the same situation here as the person fled the car crash but was not in the right state of mind - or something else unrelated to the lake could be a reason.

It's definitely strange that it's happened here twice but I don't have any concerns about running at Lake Johnson during the day (unless something else happens that proves me wrong about that).

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The other body recovered was from a drowning and this was from 2:20 AM (hours when you shouldn't really be out at these places anyways). There was a story a few months ago where a teenage girl was involved in a car crash and fled the scene with head injuries and was found dead a few days later. Possibly could be the same situation here as the person fled the car crash but was not in the right state of mind - or something else unrelated to the lake could be a reason.

It's definitely strange that it's happened here twice but I don't have any concerns about running at Lake Johnson during the day (unless something else happens that proves me wrong about that).
Honestly, I didn't even hear about the first death until this latest death. I don't know how I missed it, but I'll blame it on mom brain? I have gotten more anxious about running in general since I had my son. I love it, but I'm much more aware of all the bad things that can happen or the things you can find on a run.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Honestly, I didn't even hear about the first death until this latest death. I don't know how I missed it, but I'll blame it on mom brain? I have gotten more anxious about running in general since I had my son. I love it, but I'm much more aware of all the bad things that can happen or the things you can find on a run.
That's a valid concern, but remember that these are tragic accidents, not crimes, and that you run, not swim. I imagine it can cause anxiety since you either run on a street/sidewalk or a more secluded greenway environment.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 27,250 times
The 2nd body found was not the result of an accident. The victim was killed and dumped in the lake after getting into an incident / confrontation at a bar on New Year's Eve in Raleigh. Body found in Lake Johnson identified as missing Durham man :: WRAL.com

Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAndrew View Post
The 2nd body found was not the result of an accident. The victim was killed and dumped in the lake after getting into an incident / confrontation at a bar on New Year's Eve in Raleigh. Body found in Lake Johnson identified as missing Durham man :: WRAL.com
Still the circumstances regarding the incident was not as a result of the lake itself (or people preying on runners/walkers there)

Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Like you, we are a stone's throw from Lake Johnson. I had been following any news stories or crime about the area for months before we moved here recently. There was at least one incident of indecent exposure in the parking lot and a man who grabbed a female jogger early in the morning on a weekday. I posted a thread about it a while back, if you search for Lake Johnson, you'll find it.

I routinely walk both sides of the lake alone and with my dog. Apparently, we (and I'm sure many others) walked right by this dead body in the past two weeks. It fills me with dread. But it won't stop me. I don't listen to music and I am aware of my surroundings ahead and behind. I don't go early in the morning or after dark either.

It may sound strange but what is in the back of my mind is being the one to find these people because of my dog. How many times have bodies been found by people walking their dogs?

If you're concerned, I'm sure there are products you could clip to your waist that you could reach for in case of danger.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAndrew View Post
Yeesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary